P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks psychbeat i will look for one.As far as optics go, would this optic work with most cree leds, like the xm-l2, or only xp-g leds?: http://www.led1.de/shop/8-carclo-linse-fuer-cree-xp-g-leds.html
I don´t even know what the difference between the leds is...

No - just buy a pre made p60 module with a reflector and short out or bypass the driver to make it direct drive and dedome the emitter :)
XPG2 will throw best and have less heat but the XML2 or XPL will be impressive as well.
U can probably find an XPG drop in for 10$

texas cop

Enlightened
The only xp-g2 drop-in i can find is this one: http://intl-outdoor.com/p60-dropin-module-cuxp2-xpg2-219ct-p-798.html
It would probably be perfect but is too expensive for me, especially if i would try to dedome the led (Have never tried dedoming before). Anyone know where to get a xp-g2 drop-in for under 10$ and free international shipping? Have already looked on fasttech,kaidomain etc.

I've got the XP-G2 S4 dropin and it's a top performer. Better throw than the XP-L and draws about 2.2 amps. As is it's a great dropin. If you must dedome, I would use the razor method. Remove reflector then place a washer around the LED and with a single slice run the razor across the washer. It's my preferred method. Usually very level with the washer guide. If it's slightly off the beam won't show it and the thin layer left behind protects the LED's surface. And of course order with the smooth reflector.

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
I've had an incan 6P sitting around for years....love everything about the light but the runtime. So what is a fairly good led drop in to go with? Not looking to spend $40-50 either so something cheap and simple. 80-100 lumens or more if it's available? Thanks!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at Lumens Factory. They have a P60 drop in using an XP-G2 with either a Neutral White or a 90+ CRI option. The output is around 350 lumens or better, depending on the option. The run time with two primaries or two 1n350 cells is around two hours. And best of all, it should be around $35 with shipping.

Another option is the Mountain Electronics CUXP/CUXM drop in. You have your choice of an XM-L2 at around 1000 lumens or a Nichia 219B at 400 lumens. You also have several choices as to modes available. Only drawback is that you must use a single Li-Ion cell. With shipping it should be about $25. If you want a nice holster for that 6P get the 'small tube style' holster for $2.85. Very nice.

I have one of each, one in my G2 and the other in my 6P, and I love them both. I love the Nichia 291B goodness, and the LF 90+ CRI is right behind it but a little warmer in tint. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either one.

stephenk

Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting an XM-L2 drop-in (approx. 3A) for my Lumens Factory Seraph SP-6. Can I ask which high drain clicky tail caps are compatible with the Seraph? Thanks.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of getting an XM-L2 drop-in (approx. 3A) for my Lumens Factory Seraph SP-6. Can I ask which high drain clicky tail caps are compatible with the Seraph? Thanks.
It is listed as compatible with all Surefire Z41 upgrades, so that means a McClicky with brass ring insert will work.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should have gotten a clicky tail cap with the Seraph 6. I know my manual says that one should only use the clicky tailcap with high drain cells and lamps, so you should be fine with that one.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are so many similar threads. I posted new topic but perhaps this thread will get more looks.

For those who have both malkoff md2 and one of his drop ins with high low ring AND Vihn's bored p60 and his p60vn drop in, which is better and why??

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are so many similar threads. I posted new topic but perhaps this thread will get more looks.

For those who have both malkoff md2 and one of his drop ins with high low ring AND Vihn's bored p60 and his p60vn drop in, which is better and why??

I'll bite -

I've only had one Malkoff drop (a 219) and I haven't had one of his hosts.
I have 5 or 6 of Vinhs modules run in a bored SureFire a Fivemega and some solarforce hosts.

The two are vastly different approaches -
Vinhs modules are aimed at MAXIMUM output and some of them are TEN TIMES the lumens and approaching that in Lux with the throw oriented drops.

The Malkoff modules are aimed at MAXIMUM toughness and "foolproof-ness" as possible.

That said,
I have spend MANY hours of VERY intense downhill mountain bike riding with my Vinh modules and have trusted my life with them and run many cells all of the way down on max brightness with no issues.
Vinhs drops are potted and have been used with firearms etc etc.

The Malkoff dropins are great too and are more than bright enough for most people.
I personally, don't like the smaller reflector on them or the weight of the brass that doesn't conduct hear as well as copper or aluminum.

All good and both are great builders with AMAZING customer service.

Cheers.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing your experience, psychbeat! Now my next question will be:

What's the best host for a p60 drop in?? And why?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you could use it in a solarforce. It would be a very good idea to use some copper tape around it to make a tight fit though. The design is based on use of a surefire shaped head, and the solarfoce have more room inside.

I have also use them in a fivemega host I picked up at nitemods.com They mate well with that host too. The Dellsuperman switch is a nice upgrade as well.

For some reason using that body and the DS swtich though I had to add a longer spring to the switch. I think those bodies are designed for use with loooong protected cells. DS switch works fine on my leef bodies.

Genna

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to that, only have one and its amazing

Me too...[emoji41]

164c5d8efcd559f63a98f844fd4271de.jpg