P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

Ksepticon

Newly Enlightened
I'm having a heck of a time finding a drop in replacement to go in my L2 Solarforce that has the features I want. I had a 2 mode LED lamp with memory function from Lighthound that I got back in the day with high and strobe that I was pretty happy with until it started having intermittent/unreliable activation and now seems to have finally quit for good. I want to replace it with either another 2 Mode High/Strobe or a 3 Mode High/Low/Strobe, either with or without memory function. I absolutely do not want a 5 mode. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

archimedes

Flashaholic
TorchLAB Triple P60 with the Lux-RC light engine should be able to do that.

Expensive though, and might need to check fitment with that Solarforce, as those dropins are optimized for SureFire hosts.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think fasttech has some 17mm drivers like that which you may be able to use to repair yours?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea how to get in touch with customlites? I just tried and the server wouldn't allow me to send a contact email...
I'm looking for a high CRI triple for a bored C2. The kdlitker won't fit Surefire. And I can't spend what overready wants.

stephenk

Enlightened
I actually took the plunge on KDLitker and bought three drop-ins :
- Single Cree XP-L2 HD 1000-Lumens
- Quad 4x Luminus SST-20 1400-Lumen
- Triple Cree XP-L HI 2000 Lumens

Along with them are a couple of KD E6 hosts -- an 18650 and a 21700.

So far I've been satisfied with my latest purchase, and will be part of my workhorses. 21700 host is not as bulky as I had imagine.
I have three KDLITKER E6 triple XP-E2 colour drop-ins and they are excellent. The Blue XP-E2 is much nicer than the almost violet Forensic/Royal Blue found on most RGB flashlights.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, been a while since I been on here.
Overload of information on the availability of P60 LED "Surefire" type lamp drop in unit.
Looking for something that will run on a single 18650 cell in the 1000 to 2000 lumens range but only in "neutral white" and three level output.
Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.....

808vudoo

Enlightened
Hi C, lots of great options these days for P60 style drop-ins. Did you have a price range in mind and preference of a single or multiple emitter design? I have a few sitting on my shelf that might fit your needs.
Aloha D
A1A11645-4F86-420F-890A-C9BA32881F9D.jpeg

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks 808 for your pictures, they look fantastic but I am looking for a cheap unit to go into an old beaten up body used as a work light in the outback.
These would most likely sit on my shelf and be a talking point... :)

808vudoo

Enlightened
Thanks 808 for your pictures, they look fantastic but I am looking for a cheap unit to go into an old beaten up body used as a work light in the outback.
These would most likely sit on my shelf and be a talking point... :)
Anytime and best of luck with your search.
Aloha, D

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like there are currently 3 tiers of P60 drop-ins, last time I looked around.

Cheapo: $10 Amazon stuff that's a clone-of-clone-of-clone by no-name brands like RandomFire, MaybeFire, HouseFire, etc.

Mid-Level: Lumens Factory, $30 to $40 or so. They have several nice emitter options "https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/product_detail.php?pid=530"

Malkoff also, but I think he only does single-mode stuff.

High-End: no personal experience but I think the Customs / Modders listed on this forum sell them in probably whatever setup you want. Price? Sky's the limit probably!

;)

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for some suggestions for _single mode_ drop ins that are better quality than the budget ones. Probably with some amount of regulation.

I have a bunch of Solarforce L2P (and similar) around the house, in the cars, etc., all used with 18650 cells. But I'm not thrilled with the budget Solarforce modules.

A lot of the lights are exhibiting a fair amount of intermittent dimming, even on freshly charged cells. I'm guessing this is because a lot of the cells are a bit old and probably not at their prime, but I'd expect a reasonable drop in to work reasonably at least for a while.

Basic preferences:
* Single mode
* Runs well on 18650 -- maybe at least partially regulated
* Tolerant of a bit of voltage variance due to different cells of different ages and health.
* Wider beam, these are work lights.
* Reliable

Extended preferences:
* Warmish, high CRI-ish
* Able to run on 6V
* Semi affordable. I have a fair number of these and they're just "work"/"utility" lights.

I don't mind swapping batteries when they run too low, but I'd like the light to work reliably until that time.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi orbital,

What makes the KDLITKER drop ins better than the ones I have? Is the mentioned BD39 circuit particularly good?

Thanks,

-john

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi orbital,

What makes the KDLITKER drop ins better than the ones I have? Is the mentioned BD39 circuit particularly good?

Thanks,

-john
+

Solarforce drop-ins skimped in some areas of build, I had two that the PCB was just laying on top of the pill.,, no paste.
Anyway, as looking for some "work"/"utility" lights for you, thought the KD ones would be a good value.

Add: Took a look at one of my current KD drop-ins & it uses thermal paste.

BD39 specs : http://kaidomain.com/BD39-17mm-2200mA-3V-9V-1-cell-or-2-cells-Buck-Driver-Board?search=BD39

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Tod at illuminationgear.com got in some new SporTac drop-ins
They use the new V2 Circuit capable of double the output on the new Turbo mode.
In a triple or single emitter config.

..these are the first programmable SporTac drop-ins,, don't worry, default is Low/High if you don't want to program.

Some info::

4 program settings:

1. 2-level Low / High (Default)
  2. 1-level High
  3. 2-level Low / TURBO
  4. 1-level TURBO

default mode/setting on arrival should be 2-level ~ Low Mode / High Mode.
after 20 clicks of tailcap (watch for output change), it will go to next setting
~ High Mode.
after 20 clicks of tailcap (watch for output change), it will go to next setting ~ Low / TURBO
after 20 clicks of tailcap (watch for output change), it will go to next setting ~ TURBO
20 clicks again will cycle back through the above sequence of 4 settings

Suggests' an 8Amp batt__:alien:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried those new SportTac dropins? I am sometimes having to click several times to change from medium to high, though it is hopeful it would not be an issue with other samples.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Not a V2, but looking at an Osram unit.

Which one do you have?

Are you able to test it in another host? Sometimes the type of switch can make mode changing tricky.
Also the duration of press can be a factor.

I don't mean for that to sound like you haven't tried those already, yaknow