P60-type LED pill for FM Cooly ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
I have had a FM Cooly host for a while now, and one of these days I will build a really high power LED pill for it, but for now, I wanted to get play with making my own P60-style LED drop in from scratch. Call it a learning project :)

For this project I am using a new XML-2 in Direct Drive with one of my own Tiny-85 controller boards and MOSFET boards. The controller monitors batter voltage, temperature, and senses the switch button presses (On/Off cycles) to alternate between Low, Med, and High, and then it sends a PWM signal to the MOSFET which is tied to the NEG side of the LED.

I wanted the fit of this new pill to be closer than a generic pill so I measured the OD of a couple of them, as well as the ID of the Cooly:
DSCF2010.JPG

I started making the pill. I did not have the right OD Al bar, so I was taking deep cuts of 0.150" (.3" diameter reduction) to get there quick, so I was using lots of lubricant:
DSCF2017.JPG

DSCF2018.JPG

Then work on the ID on one side:
DSCF2020.JPG

DSCF2022.JPG

Fairly close to my "drawing":
DSCF2028.JPG

Great fit on the lens side:
DSCF2030.JPG

DSCF2033.JPG

I should have started on the other end, but I don't always think through "all" of the steps in my head before starting, but I went ahead and keep going. This meant I had to work on a way to hold the larger diameter lip, so I made a delrin sleeve and used the step inside the chuck's jaws to my advantage:
DSCF2034.JPG

Got the other side done. That lip is for the PWB controller board:
DSCF2035.JPG

Slide fit (next time I will try for a tighter fit):
DSCF2037.JPG

Epoxy LED to pill - use lens to center:
DSCF2038.JPG

Drill holes for wires:
DSCF2039.JPG

Solder spring on positive contact:
DSCF2040.JPG

DSCF2042.JPG

Ready for wiring/assembly:
DSCF2046.JPG

DSCF2052.JPG

DSCF2053.JPG

DSCF2054.JPG

Test before epoxying things in place:
DSCF2058.JPG

All done. The negative contact was not very "elegant", but it works :)
DSCF2060.JPG

Thermal paste between pill and Cooly:
DSCF2061.JPG

All assembled. The FM cooly is a great host - well though out!
DSCF2062.JPG

DSCF2064.JPG

Will

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa - that must've been a fun project!! Long live the p60!!!
I've always wanted longer optic based module for my 2p1s FM host.
Then I'd just use the outer lens assembly to hold it in place.
Good stuff!!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent, clean work.
I'm not familiar with that lens type, does it offer a better focus? Are you looking for more throw or a floody beam?

There's no end of fun projects you can do once you have access to a lathe

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thank you guys :eek:

Excellent, clean work.
I'm not familiar with that lens type, does it offer a better focus? Are you looking for more throw or a floody beam?
Yup, going for a little bit more throw. Since the XML-2 is such a big die, it still ended up having a reasonable floody mix to be useful. I would like to try next time a glass lens and see if I can get it a little tighter :)

There's no end of fun projects you can do once you have access to a lathe
+1

I was reloading some rounds for my rifle, and I was having trouble with seating really shallow bullets. Basically I needed a longer bullet seating stem, so I just made a custom one in my lathe :)
IMG_20141018_214316.jpg

Last edited: