Pandemic Mental Health - How YOU doin'?

Devildude

Enlightened
I usually find watching my hummingbirds interact quite peaceful and relaxing. The pileated woodpeckers can be humorous as well.

I agree, for some reason watching these mini jewels battle at crazy speeds for free sugar water is relaxing! And watching brown pelicans dive into the ocean is pretty cool too.

I recently commented to The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner, while we were enjoying our morning coffee and observing the hummingbirds dashing in and out of the lawn sprinkler - "Hummingbirds don't fly, they dance in the air."

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If you have a cat you'll probably get this.

6-DBA47-D0-1015-4272-88-B3-AA36-C6606-F7-C.jpg

Even if you don't you still might.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The cabin fever is becoming a real thing after 5 months of WFH, which I expect to endure for at least the rest of the year. I suspect that I'll head into the office ~next week just to remember what it's like to have neat bookends to the workday.

The SO is a school teacher and after the insanity of last year's hasty remote instruction they seem to have an actual plan for remote instruction this year and a hopes and prayers roadmap for returning some of the student body to on-site instruction in September. Working assumption among the employees at the district is that they'll yo-yo back to remote instruction as soon as positive COVID-19 tests invariably spike at the schools. On the upside, the district seems to have a tolerable student portal in place this year for a more coherent remote instruction experience all around.

Decided that I need to kick off small home improvement projects. Just finished insulating the garage door, which seems to help reject heat loading from the morning sun (and its subsequent transfer to my office directly above). Variously on the agenda are:
  • Installing a PIR sensor to make the secondary garage LED lighting system useful again since it was orphaned by the replacement of the previous garage door opener; hopefully this will trigger for both the door opening and people entering from the house
  • Re-running the ethernet wire from the ONT to facilitate the next two projects
  • Replacing/upgrading the homebrew outdoor LED lighting system for all-around coverage
  • Installing outdoor security cameras

The generator project I've discussed elsewhere is presently backburner'ed - after designing and building a shed during the unusually hot summer of 2018 my appetite for construction projects during the summer is considerably reduced; heat indices are routinely exceeding 110F this year.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Has anyone else been having oddly specific dreams since the pandemic started? I'm experiencing this almost nightly and I've read from at least two different sources that this has been happening to many people since Covid-19 broke loose. I don't attach any particular significance to dreams - it's just that I've noticed this change in pattern.

NY09C6

Newly Enlightened
No changes here. But I live in a rural town where there is no real impact and no one takes any of this seriously. I fell bad for those living in fear in big cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Could you be more specific?

Experiencing and then remembering an unusual amount of detail in a dream - the labels on elevator buttons, the details in a piece of clothing, the specifics of how a grocery store is laid out, specific conversation details. Stuff I usually dream about as soft blurry images. It's almost like watching a movie in high definition as opposed to standard definition with poor sound.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you say your dreams could just as well be in reality; that they are so detailed and follow the conventions of a life lived with eyes open; that it seems impossible a dream could be so detailed? Perhaps you can go the next step and know that you are dreaming while moving about in your dream? That sounds very interesting. Are you suggesting that this lockdown is causing certain senses to be deprived, therefore it is a kind of hallucination while dreaming?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You're having high CRI dreams……
Cool.
Perhaps it is a minor anxiety keeping the volume of your fight or flight spidee senses turned up more than usual?

Someone asked if I dream in color or black and white. I do not know. I just know there's a movie playing in my head while sleeping, and some days I remember parts of it. Usually when it involved people from my past. I wake up thinking "whatever happened to so n so?"

I don't think that has changed since the pandemic began though.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lately, the daily threat of rolling blackouts (caused by the incompetently managed renewable energy implementation) has taken my mind off the pandemic. That and the statewide wildfires. Golden State indeed...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Would you say your dreams could just as well be in reality; that they are so detailed and follow the conventions of a life lived with eyes open; that it seems impossible a dream could be so detailed? Perhaps you can go the next step and know that you are dreaming while moving about in your dream? That sounds very interesting. Are you suggesting that this lockdown is causing certain senses to be deprived, therefore it is a kind of hallucination while dreaming?

It's only rarely that I become self-aware within a dream that I'm actually dreaming, and that usually preceeds waking up. From what I've been reading, the unusual dreams are caused by the generalized anxiety around Covid as well as the changes in daily routines. Here's one of the articles about Covid and intense dreams that sums it up for me. Apparently it's happening all over the world.

Last edited:

Devildude

Enlightened
Today not so bad. Yesterday I got to see a golden eagle in flight. Today I am overrun with hummingbirds. Biggest to smallest in 24 hours, not too bad. Nature has a way of lifting the spirits at times.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anger that this lockdown has crushed our friend's business of 3+ years. They had a passion to open a (literally) mom-and-pop pet food store and now it's going under. Current hospitalizations for COVID in the state of New Mexico have been low for weeks now.

Lower left blue box 'historical data' shows graphs; wish more states would provide this metric:

https://cvprovider.nmhealth.org/public-dashboard.html

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know how you feel. In March, I was teaching voluntarily at a martial arts school. The owner had signed a two year lease on a new, much more affordable building, and we were planning on moving in April. He had promised me that he'd be able to start paying me as an employee when we moved to the new school. Then Covid happened and the money he was spending on two buildings for a few months made him broke and he had no choice but to shut down the school permanently. He offered to let me start a new school on my own with the school name, but being broke, with health issues, and no way to legally or logistically do that, I'm stuck unemployed and don't qualify for unemployment. I don't see how I can teach a contact sport in a world where all contact is banned. I turn on the news and see that teaching self defense and respect is needed more now than ever and it drives me nuts that my skill is considered nonessential.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Children are in desperate need of activities that get them out and exercising and building respect and confidence. Is there a way to mask and distance your art until the time when contact is allowed?

Latest posts