Pandemic supply chain in your area

Wurkkos

Chauncey Gardiner

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Only possible exception to that might be if you have a very physical job where 20 years of service wears your body out to the point you can't work any more. Cops don't qualify in that regard. Some positions in construction or maintenance might qualify.

Perhaps the stress LEOs face day in and day out also merits the same consideration as you place on very physical jobs. I don't think steady doses of adrenaline produce any long-term health benefits.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I would make a bet, but that will be taking candy from a baby. Insurance companies don't look fondly on self-driving cars. A magnitude or more reduction in accidents won't be good for their bottom line.
Exactly. In fact, if all cars were self-driven think about the things you wouldn't need any more:

1) DMV and anything associated with driver licensing
2) Judges and traffic courts
3) Traffic signals
4) Accident lawyers
5) "Rehab" places which specialize in car collision victims
6) Traffic cops
7) Body shops (well maybe a few but it wouldn't be a big business any more)
8) Insurance companies (AVs will most likely be self-insured by the company that makes them since collisions will be low enough for them to afford to do this)

Hospitals would lose a lot business as well. Car collisions are one of the top sources of injury for most age groups.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot more but poor driving habits and the resulting collisions are unfortunately big business. Those vested in the status quo will try to spread FUD about self-driving cars, and try to stop their development, even though the general population will benefit enormously from them. Of course, we're not there yet but even in their current state of development AVs are safer than most human drivers.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Perhaps the stress LEOs face day in and day out also merits the same consideration as you place on very physical jobs. I don't think steady doses of adrenaline produce any long-term health benefits.
Any job dealing with the general public is stressful. That's why those are the jobs where people are quitting in droves. I agree it's probably not great for your health to be a cop for 20 years.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Uh, what was the topic here?
Oh, pandemic supply chain.

So this week on the radio a higher up from the Norfolk VA port was being interviewed about the state of things on the east coast. He went into detail why some ports are clogged while others are not. He said the pile ups reported by the news each day lately is not due to not enough trucks but due to too much product showing up at the same time to an outdated port system.

So the supply is there it seems, it's just log jammed in some places. My area in general is pretty normal except for stuff people are panic buying.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Yes, basically we bought a lot more stuff over a shorter time span than normal, so the supply chain can't cope with it. Obviously the factories are turning the stuff out or we wouldn't have dozens of ships waiting to be unloaded.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im scared pretty bad .ive got many survival gears a cool rocket stove that can burn anything to cook its crazy crazy god it uses scince to get many btus its metal and ceramic . i still think the system is going to collapse . no food on the shelfs no meds no nothing

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of you in New York City, only about 60% of your firefighters, paramedics, and sanitation workers (currently) will be allowed to work next month. Tell me how you feel next month when the filth piles up on the streets. I don’t think getting the remaining workers to do 12+ hour shifts will help with worker retention long term.

As far as our supply chain issues, it would help if California would suspend AB5 as it pertains to letting independent truck drivers help with the shipping problems at the ports. It might also help if the law banning diesel trucks at the L.A. port was suspended so cargo didn’t get loaded onto natural gas trucks and shipped a mile away (to skirt that law) before getting reloaded on diesel trucks. That law causes a huge bottleneck at the port and does nothing to lower pollution.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
For those of you in New York City, only about 60% of your firefighters, paramedics, and sanitation workers (currently) will be allowed to work next month. Tell me how you feel next month when the filth piles up on the streets. I don’t think getting the remaining workers to do 12+ hour shifts will help with worker retention long term.
Personally I'm fine with it. I'm not saying anything beyond that because this thread is about pandemic supply issues.

JustAnOldFashionedLEDGuy

Newly Enlightened
Any job dealing with the general public is stressful. That's why those are the jobs where people are quitting in droves. I agree it's probably not great for your health to be a cop for 20 years.

Neither is working most retail jobs, but they make 1/3 - 1/6th the pay, and no pension.

JustAnOldFashionedLEDGuy

Newly Enlightened
im scared pretty bad .ive got many survival gears a cool rocket stove that can burn anything to cook its crazy crazy god it uses scince to get many btus its metal and ceramic . i still think the system is going to collapse . no food on the shelfs no meds no nothing

The US has huge domestic food production. Also significant grain stores and it is easy to prioritize food in shipping. Medicine is small and can go by plane ... many of which are still idle.

Relax, things are not that bad. If China stops shipping to the US, that could be painful.

JustAnOldFashionedLEDGuy

Newly Enlightened

As far as our supply chain issues, it would help if California would suspend AB5 as it pertains to letting independent truck drivers help with the shipping problems at the ports. It might also help if the law banning diesel trucks at the L.A. port was suspended so cargo didn’t get loaded onto natural gas trucks and shipped a mile away (to skirt that law) before getting reloaded on diesel trucks. That law causes a huge bottleneck at the port and does nothing to lower pollution.

If Sanitation workers in NYC put in a full shift every day, then 60% of them would be enough to do the job. Totally overpaid job. There will be a ton of hard working people more than willing to fill the holes at what they get paid. Paramedics? ... no, not only 60% will be working, nor Firefighters.

Diesel trucks are not banned at the LA port. Clean Diesel of alternate fuel (Nat Gas/Electric) is required. The clean diesel requirement reduced diesel truck fine particulate emissions in the surrounding communities by 95%. They went from the largest source to a small source. I would not call that nothing.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Here's a place to discuss labor issues.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Candy……gone……all of it. I'm not used to seeing every last bag of halloween sized candy gone on Halloween. There's usually a bag or two of skittles, good n plenty or other not so sweet candy but not this year. Even the candy corn was all gone.

Cow has begun to settle back down to a reasonable price in my area. Certain brands of tobacco products are hit or miss lately. And the one thing that surprises me is staples for the office stapler are scarce in my area. I found some after checking three stores.

There was a brief run on gasoline when rumors went out that prices would rise soon. It went from $2.99 a gallon to $3.19. Then $3.29, and that was when folks started the run. Last week it was $3.26 so I kinda chuckled at the hoarders.

My favorite fresh cooked chicken tenders at the grocery store jumped from $3.49 for 6 to $4.99 for 4. Yikes!

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Looking at the SALE flyer, in my area, I am seeing a lot more NOT MEAT, in the meat section, such as chik'in, and meatless meat balls! They cost as much as the real thing!, or more!

On Sale items include:
T bone steak, and New York Strip steak, each regular price about $12/ lb, on sale at $9 a lb.

not on sale, but available... Top round London broil, $8.99 / lb. Last year I used to get it for $2.99 on sale.

As you enter the foyer of the store they have racks of bags of Doritos chips etc. with a big sign $4 as though that is cheap! Junk snack food has also gone through the roof. I'm glad I am trying to stay away from that.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Poppy,
Perhaps you remember paying more for "no lead" gas even though the lead was added, so like not meat-meat you'da thunk it would have cost less…

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
JennyO ground turkey on sale now at $5 per 1lb pkg..
Add a lot of seasoning and most 5 yr old kids won't know the difference

Chevron Super this morning $5.29 gal, Whoopee!!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
As you enter the foyer of the store they have racks of bags of Doritos chips etc. with a big sign $4 as though that is cheap! Junk snack food has also gone through the roof. I'm glad I am trying to stay away from that.
That's been going on long before the pandemic. A 9.5 oz bag of Doritos has a regular price of $4.29 now I think. I only buy it when the store has a 2 for $5 sale. Even then it's not really worth it. A few years ago the bag size was I think 10 oz, the regular price was $2.99, and there were often 2 for $3 sales. It's not like the cost to produce snacks went up dramatically. The manufacturers just seem to be testing how addicted people are by raising the price to whatever the market will bear. An 8 oz bag of potato chips was $0.99 a few years ago. Now the bag size shrunk to 6 oz (and they're trying 5.5), while the price is at best $1.99, but often $2.99.

Looking at the SALE flyer, in my area, I am seeing a lot more NOT MEAT, in the meat section, such as chik'in, and meatless meat balls! They cost as much as the real thing!, or more!

On Sale items include:
T bone steak, and New York Strip steak, each regular price about $12/ lb, on sale at $9 a lb.

not on sale, but available... Top round London broil, $8.99 / lb. Last year I used to get it for $2.99 on sale.
I'm all for meat substitutes, but if they're going to cost as much or more than the real thing, what's the point?

As for regular meat, same philosophy as snacks. If it costs more than I think it's worth, I just stop buying it. I haven't bought bacon or steak in a long time. In fact, when any meat is $8 or $9 a pound they can keep it.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I don't know a lot of prices, but I know that "Shop Rite" often sells coffee as a loss leader, about $1.99 a pound, when not on sale it's about $4.29 a pound. Of course, a pound isn't a pound any more, it's more like 11 ounces, and the two pound can is about 24 ounces.