Pandemic supply chain in your area

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
In some areas people are already being asked to work from home, if at all possible. I hope we don't go back to mandatory lockdowns ever again. California lost 1/3 of all businesses from the last round. We definitely can't afford to go another round. Even if they gave extended unemployment again, many people who were fired for not being vaccinated wouldn't qualify which would make things even worse. Stores and restaurants are already closing shop or limiting hours because so many of their staff are sick. Essential services are having "brown outs" due to lack of staff. With all the snow storms, many places have been without power and/or water for several days (Lake Tahoe for example). With that, combined with short staffing from mandates requiring firing unvaccinated workers, it's taking too long to get power back to people following these storms. I hope this all blows over in a few weeks, but I'm not counting on it. We're in a S##tstorm without an umbrella. It's going to take awhile to clean up the mess.

turbodog

Flashaholic
At the risk of going further off topic...... For the vast majority? Not so much. If you have a medical condition or are in a demographic group that makes you high risk, manage your own situation....

Hard to do that when there's no medical capacity left. Jackson, MS hospitals are in code red currently. Not accepting patients, ambulances, transfers, etc of any kind for any reason.

Hope nobody has a medical emergency.

And lockdown? Don't see that happening.

Grocery store was well stocked today. No sun chips though.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully folks will roll with it instead of getting all knee jerky hoarding, knowing that some patience is necessary with some items. Stuff to buy here where we live is not bad.

USA is not going the lockdown route. The people making the decisions have more knowledge and experience compared to the viral unknowns of the past. We have multiple strategies for treatment. Government did the things they did so we would not go full blown crushed economy and social norms, killing each other for ketchup packets. Now it seems government will try to keep people working to avoid a crushed economy and social norms. (How I see it)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to do that when there's no medical capacity left. Jackson, MS hospitals are in code red currently. Not accepting patients, ambulances, transfers, etc of any kind for any reason.
Before things get tight, how about letting individual hospitals be able to decide whether they have to COVID treat the unvaccinated or not.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
So many asymptomatic or mild cases it makes one wonder. And when places like Illinois have gone DOWN in ICU bed count from 4000 to 3000 in the past 18 months, I'm left scratching my head. (Google it.) People get sick. For some, it's quite serious. For a few, (statistically) it's fatal. So are many, many other things. For the vast majority? Not so much. If you have a medical condition or are in a demographic group that makes you high risk, manage your own situation. This has gotten WAY out of hand and we keep buying into it.
Is this what you're talking about? https://www.thecentersquare.com/ill...cle_bbef7406-3ccd-11ec-87b8-47e41e059dc1.html

Yes, they went from around 4,000 ICU beds to around 3,000. This was not because they didn't need more. ICU stands for intensive care unit. It used to require a 1:1 ratio of nurses to patients. This was revised to 1:2 due to covid. This means that due to the vaccine mandate that required firing unvaccinated workers and people getting sick, quitting, or dying, they went from a staff of around 4,000 nurses to around 1,500. That is part of the problem. It doesn't mean things are getting better because they have fewer beds.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before things get tight, how about letting individual hospitals be able to decide whether they have to COVID treat the unvaccinated or not. Hey, or maybe let the supply/demand metric-dynamic apply to those who won't vaccinate; charging twice/three times as much to those 'vax-refusing' for ideological reasons?
The new variant affects the vaccinated and boosted, and younger people. What excuse do they have to unfairly prey on the sick and dying by overcharging those that didn't get vaccinated? New York is going a horrible route by denying treatments to white people over minorities. Do you think that is fair too? The Hyppocratic oath starts with "First, do no harm." If you deny people lifesaving medical services based on race or vaccination status, you've broken your oath as a doctor. Each patient should be treated with dignity and respect no matter who they are, not prejudged at the door, then robbed blind.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully folks will roll with it instead of getting all knee jerky hoarding, knowing that some patience is necessary with some items. Stuff to buy here where we live is not bad.

USA is not going the lockdown route. The people making the decisions have more knowledge and experience compared to the viral unknowns of the past. We have multiple strategies for treatment. Government did the things they did so we would not go full blown crushed economy and social norms, killing each other for ketchup packets. Now it seems government will try to keep people working to avoid a crushed economy and social norms. (How I see it)
How is the govt going to keep people working if they continue to subsidize employment?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Masks and vaccines don't seem to work with the Omicron variant
Politics, etc. aside HOF, I have serious doubts that a quality, properly-fitted NIOSH N95 'mask' is ineffective against this, or any other airborne virus. I'm not an expert, but I'd say quite the contrary. Now, how many people are actually using those types and in the correct manner? Perhaps very few. That's another issue.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Politics, etc. aside HOF, I have serious doubts that a quality, properly-fitted NIOSH N95 'mask' is ineffective against this, or any other airborne virus. I'm not an expert, but I'd say quite the contrary. Now, how many people are actually using those types and in the correct manner? Perhaps very few. That's another issue.
It does need to have that NIOSH stamp on it. There are plenty of x95 masks that don't.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Mrs and I went out for dinner and in the midst of a new case every 3.0 seconds places were PACKED to the rafters with customers. Lines waiting to get in was the norm. Thing we noticed was masked people were in a huge majority without being told to. Most seem to wear them to help slow the spread, not prevent themselves from receiving it.

We ended up opting to find a drive through and eat at home. Then off to the grocery store to grab some stuff before the Sunday shoppers grab it. Surprisingly that paid off as many items missing on Sunday morning last week were in stock this evening.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thing we noticed was masked people were in a huge majority without being told to.

A month or so back, I noticed they's become much more scarce. Many (falsely) thought the disease was on the decline, and when not required to wear them, they were ditched by many. That was likely a contributing factor to our being where we find ourselves today.

Edit: In restaurants eating/drinking, and especially crowded ones, I'm not sure anything will help

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've said it before and I'll say it again:
"the human race does a helluva good job at spreading disease and that's not going to change with this one". We always have, we always will.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I am happy to see that the Health Commissioner for NYC is now recommending the use of N95 masks, instead of any old cloth mask. That is an indication that the supply of the better masks is getting better.
Last week I picked up a 20 pack of N95 masks at the Home Depot. There were perhaps 20 packs of them. Yesterday, my daughter wanted to get more for herself, and her two boys. There were none at a different HD, where they were supposed to be, ( the app said they were in stock) but she looked high up, and saw a case of them. She had to get an employee to get a ladder to get some for her. He didn't restock the shelf, but left the case way up high.

Her impression was it was being saved for those in the know. Employees, and their families.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't you quote a whole sentence instead of taking my words out of context? We had around 850,000 new cases yesterday in the U.S. We are approaching a million a day. We have confirmed cases of people that aren't elderly that had both vaccine shots plus a booster testing positive for the Omicron variant. I left a video of one in a previous post. As for the masks, tell me how effective an N95 mask is in a restaurant once you sit down at the table and everyone takes it off their faces. It does little to nothing in that setting because you aren't wearing it most of the time. Now I'm sure a properly fitted N95 mask reduces your chances of getting sick, but with nearly a million cases a day, it appears our current safety measures are insufficient.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of you in California, you need to see this video before going to see your doctor or before going to a hospital. California temporarily changed their quarantine guidelines. Instead of 5 or 10 days in quarantine after testing positive for Covid, if they are asymptomatic, nurses and medical professionals are supposed to return to work immediately and just wear an N95 mask. No more quarantine period. Be careful at your next visit. You could get sick from your doctor or nurse. I guess we'll find out how good N95 masks really are. This is an act of desperation due to a severe lack of staffing.