Pandemic supply chain in your area

turbodog

Flashaholic
Simple question, then: if a mother fails to lactate and has zero milk for an infant, what are that mother's options?

Some people might well be mesmerized by the modern miracle of supermarket products. But those who have actual lactation problems are a different group, one that has few options.

Similar to my point... the R/W repeal is going to create births, right in the middle of supply chain disruptions.

fredx

Newly Enlightened
There are plenty of people suffering today who lack housing, jobs, health issues in the USA. World wide there is much more acute suffering in terms of numbers.
But when hasnt it been like that? -I have heard for DECADES that if you have a roof over your head, clothes on your back and have enough food to eat you are "wealthier than 75% of the worlds population

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
From post #1077 made by you:

¨Americans in general are pathetic & spoiled¨

and I get your point, in general. Some of us think we should not forget the suffering.

Our supply chain for the things we buy is doing pretty well, both locally and online. Just wish more folks could have the choice to get a Fraz Labs flashlight. They are not for everyone but... (How is that for a shameless promotion)

fredx

Newly Enlightened
There are a lot of folks out there who choose to suffer-- they are homeless of their own choice.
LOTS of them-- probably WAY more than you might think, I know it was way more than I thought, a real eye opener

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Hows the weather been out there in DFW / TX ?

Expect many flashmob performances of Texans on Ice™ - universally panned by critics - tomorrow across the region.
Circumstances unexpectedly dictated that I venture forth today (inventory of preferred cat food lower than I was informed; the furballs know where I sleep and will disrupt it when hungrah with neither hesitation nor remorse) thus I bore witness to multiple fizzled attempts at flashmob performances of Texans On Ice™. Seems that the typical denizen of the DFW area has trouble comprehending the notion that the effective level of traction icy roads is for closer to that of nominal rolling resistance than that of the order of magnitude greater dry surface friction they are normally accustomed to; to wit the sanding truck that turned onto the main thoroughfare to dust an overpass ahead of me on the outbound leg surely prevented at least one accident right before my eyes.

In other news, my informal survey of the northeast quadrant of the DFW area suggests canned pet food stocks are good.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Americans in general are pathetic & spoiled

In general, yes. Poor in America is usually nothing close to poor in other places. Now some in America fall between the cracks no doubt, but America has an awful lots of bums making it so the charitable folks are reluctant to help because it is quite likely they'll be duped by a bum and not somebody who could use a boost. The so called safety net is this gigantic hammock anymore.

It doesn't help when 20 minutes or 60-60 does stories about bums making $100l/yr dupe-ing generous folks. I gave a guy with a sign $10 one time and he walked to Taco Bell and had a feast. I was not offended. Simply put he bought food not booze. Now this one time a young gal asked me to help and I gave her $10. Her response was "is that all? got anymore?"......

fredx

Newly Enlightened
Circumstances unexpectedly dictated that I venture forth today (inventory of preferred cat food lower than I was informed; the furballs know where I sleep and will disrupt it when hungrah with neither hesitation nor remorse) thus I bore witness to multiple fizzled attempts at flashmob performances of Texans On Ice™. Seems that the typical denizen of the DFW area has trouble comprehending the notion that the effective level of traction icy roads is for closer to that of nominal rolling resistance than that of the order of magnitude greater dry surface friction they are normally accustomed to; to wit the sanding truck that turned onto the main thoroughfare to dust an overpass ahead of me on the outbound leg surely prevented at least one accident right before my eyes.

In other news, my informal survey of the northeast quadrant of the DFW area suggests canned pet food stocks are good.
One of the funniest "memes" i ever saw was a picture of this guy with his head down on his dining room table-- he had just lost his job and was sulking. Picture has his cat sitting right in front of him with the caption something like ( cat speaking here )
"sorry about your luck pal but that cat bowl still needs to be filled every day "

In general, yes. Poor in America is usually nothing close to poor in other places. Now some in America fall between the cracks no doubt, but America has an awful lots of bums making it so the charitable folks are reluctant to help because it is quite likely they'll be duped by a bum and not somebody who could use a boost. The so called safety net is this gigantic hammock anymore.

It doesn't help when 20 minutes or 60-60 does stories about bums making $100l/yr dupe-ing generous folks. I gave a guy with a sign $10 one time and he walked to Taco Bell and had a feast. I was not offended. Simply put he bought food not booze. Now this one time a young gal asked me to help and I gave her $10. Her response was "is that all? got anymore?"......

Yep! "Got any spare change?" has morphed into "Do you have three dollars?" Happened to me a few days back outside the grocery store. Beggar's inflation.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The guy on the radio said the wholesale price of eggs plummeted last week. Somebody needs to tell my grocer that. They were up another 30 cents this week.

Waiting on a lady to grab a carton I said "good gosh, another 30 cents". She closed the door to the egg refrigerator and says "never mind, I'll be buying chickens this week".

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At my grocery store yesterday the egg shelves were bare, empty as in none. Meanwhile a guy rolls up with a large push cart filled with cartons of eggs. I asked what happened. He said they had to throw them away because they had all expired. It seems nobody was paying $6+ for a dozen eggs.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Eggs went down about a dollar per 18 this week at our grocery.

I've seen so many people w/ chickens lately that are giving away dozens upon dozens. They bought chickens, not realizing the cost of feed and their time, and are swimming in eggs... that they give away for free.

:banghead:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has nothing to do with the pandemic supply chain

I read the article linked below last week, and was reminded of something I once posted in this thread:

"...the 'ingredients' were melted down in 'induction' furnaces (which were pretty scary things BTW)"

We cast our own billets (a very complex process in itself), and they tell me one of the reasons our extrusions were so good was because the billets were so good. A major factor in that was the fact that the 'ingredients' were melted down in 'induction' furnaces (which were pretty scary things BTW), vs other types of furnaces. The eddy currents produced by the induction heating method (a phenomenon which was quite obvious when observing them) served to mix that stuff up in the very best possible way, which results in very consistently homogenous, high-grade billets, which (fundamentally / among other things) results in very high-grade extrusions. They also, of course, consumed incredible amounts of power.

When I mentioned 'scary things', I could have been referring to the 5-digit voltage powering those furnace power supplies, or the giga-amps feeding that furnace, but what I also was cringing just thinking about was the fact that if the moisture from even a bottle cap of water gets into such a casting furnace full of molten Al just wrong, it can level an entire plant to the ground. It has leveled much larger facilities than this one, but this gives one some impression of what can happen when things go wrong in a cast house. In an instant. It's frightening stuff!:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Where my dad used to work every blue moon a hydraulic hose would burst near molten alluminum. After he had retired my brother who worked there too told him about an incident one day where some fellows were killed. My pop said "hmm, only 6 this time huh?" My brother was like "what do you mean only six?" My dad said "it's usually at least 20." My brother had not worked there long so he did not know of previous times.

Eggs were $2.29/dozen today.
Now that's more like it.