Pandemic-the light at the end of the tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I'm not a scientist so it baffles my mind how a shot loaded with a liquid to fool the body into thinking it had covid provides more protection than the body's immune system that actually fought off the real virus.

Point being, at least to this non scientist is that the numbers of those who had and and recovered should be combined with those who got the shot(s) to determine the real herd immunity numbers.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm not a scientist so it baffles my mind how a shot loaded with a liquid to fool the body into thinking it had covid provides more protection than the body's immune system that actually fought off the real virus.

Point being, at least to this non scientist is that the numbers of those who had and and recovered should be combined with those who got the shot(s) to determine the real herd immunity numbers.

Yes that's true. So I wonder what the effective percentage is combining those? Just guessing 60%? If so we're getting somewhere.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

What herd immunity? Herd immunity is so last week, just like 15 Days to Slow the Spread is so last year. Now they are saying herd immunity is not attainable -

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/health/covid-herd-immunity-vaccine.html

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
So are you saying that in the 2030's those 2020 masks will be back in style like 1970's low rider jeans came back in the 1990's?

I like the face shield. So storm trooper-esque.

2-A97-EE5-F-450-C-4-ADA-AD1-B-7-B025-F112512.jpg

Note the Fauchi approved double mask with face shield………

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you combine those numbers you assume that c-19 recovered is as effective (or better) than vaccine protection. Generally speaking, that's NOT the case regarding vaccines. They almost always provide superior protection against a pathogen then having recovered/survived.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Please explain how something you did not actually have but your body thinks you did is better than something your body did have and beat. I mean to me at least that's like saying powdered brocolli from a laboratory is better for you than real brocolli.

My brother posed the question: if you get the shot then contact covid, then your body did not get sick so you never knew you had it does that person become a super spreader without even knowing it like Typhoid Mary did way back when?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

You just have to read the mission statement.

Pfizer will take in $28,000,000,000 this year for covid vaccine,, just Pfizer.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please explain how something you did not actually have but your body thinks you did is better than something your body did have and beat. I mean to me at least that's like saying powdered brocolli from a laboratory is better for you than real brocolli.

Article below does a good job answering your question.

Excerpt: "For instance, the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine elicits a stronger immune response than infection by the virus itself. One reason for this is that the vaccine contains high concentrations of a viral coat protein, more than what would occur in a natural infection. This triggers strongly neutralising antibodies, making the vaccine very effective at preventing infection."

https://theconversation.com/why-a-vaccine-can-provide-better-immunity-than-an-actual-infection-145476

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast

And to answer your broccoli comment. If we could take the stuff about broccoli that makes it great, and make a new, condensed, supercharged broccoli... then yes, that would be better than farm-grown.

nbp

Flashaholic
News said 56% of adults have gotten at least one shot, and I would think that if you got the first you’ll get the second, so you could say at minimum that percentage of adults will get vaxxed if no new people choose to. Those under 16 remain to be seen I guess as they become eligible. I have to assume being infected would impart at least some immunity and there could easily be 70-100 million of those foks.

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast
News said 56% of adults have gotten at least one shot, and I would think that if you got the first you’ll get the second, so you could say at minimum that percentage of adults will get vaxxed if no new people choose to. Those under 16 remain to be seen I guess as they become eligible. I have to assume being infected would impart at least some immunity and there could easily be 70-100 million of those foks.

Rumor is that 12-16 opens up next week.

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast
He threw out a poor anecdote and I poked some easy holes it in. We can quibble about vitamin absorption another time.

Fact still stands that overall, with the occasional exception, vaccines provide superior protection.

Mumps vaccine is one of those exceptions... but I'd rather take my chance with a 98% mumps vaccine than a 100% protection from actually catching it.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

You just have to read the mission statement.

Pfizer will take in $28,000,000,000 this year for covid vaccine,, just Pfizer.

Curious about this I looked up a source.
Sourced from NYT:
"The vaccine brought in $3.5 billion in revenue in the first three months of this year, nearly a quarter of its total revenue, Pfizer reported. The vaccine was, far and away, Pfizer’s biggest source of revenue.
The company did not disclose the profits it derived from the vaccine, but it reiterated its previous prediction that its profit margins on the vaccine would be in the high 20 percent range. That would translate into roughly $900 million in pretax vaccine profits in the first quarter.
... Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca both vowed to sell their vaccines on a nonprofit basis during the pandemic. Moderna, which has never made a profit and has no other products on the market, decided to sell its vaccine at a profit.
... Pfizer said on Tuesday that it expects its vaccine to generate $26 billion in revenue this year, up from its previous estimate of $15 billion...."

The rest of the article is worth reading
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/business/pfizer-covid-vaccine-profits.html

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

It was from today, what they were telling investors or potential investors,
which I am not one of.

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast
... did not disclose the profits it derived from the vaccine, but it reiterated its previous prediction that its profit margins on the vaccine would be in the high 20 percent range...

A quick skimming of the 2020 10K form tells me their profits run approx 55%, so 20% is low. Their stock is not attractive either, still not having regained its dot com peak 20+ years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.