Pandemic-the light at the end of the tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbodog

Flashaholic
... There are some who see some numbers and cower in fear. Others say "pfft, if the water and food don't kill now that new head cold will" and just carry on. Some are in between.

I'm on the fence about the matter. The rebel in me says screw you king Fauchi, you aint going to tell me where the bear poops. The old guy in me says the trouble with being dead is it lasts so long.

I hate to be right... but the lack of healthcare is starting to hit. Got off the phone couple of hours ago with an older friend (mid 50's). He's got chest pain and needs a trip to the cath lab for a stent. Can't get in... no room.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently Dr Malone was first to publish back in the late '80's and he has several patents which is part of technology on which the mRNA vaccines are based.

nbp

Flashaholic
lemmings will be lemmings.
sheep will be sheep.
the cliff is THAT way.
The sheep dip is down the chute on the left!
As they say in Wuhan........................"Rotsa ruck!"
I see your join date is recent so maybe you don't know how things work here, but we're not going to tolerate insults or jokes about other countries or cultures. Similar posts will be deleted without comment. Thank you.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Apparently Dr Malone was first to publish back in the late '80's and he has several patents which is part of technology on which the mRNA vaccines are based.

My take is that whatever paper(s) he published decades ago... were, at most, a firmed up idea of what might be possible.

The Hungarian lady spent ~30+ years working on mrna, actually figuring out how to make it evade our immune system, enter the cells successfully, and be effective. Then she directly worked on the current vaccine we have now.

Given his lack of work & progress combined with known vaccine skepticism and, finally, an admission he did NOT invent mrna vaccines... I would have to say he wrote an interesting paper, at most.

https://www.logically.ai/factchecks/library/3aa2eefd

1628133936097.png

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im fully vacanated but i am still wearing my mask. i hate wearing mask but being sick is worse

Just getting over the delta variant, had "regular" covid last year. Personally speaking first hand, delta was easily 3x as worse as it was the first go around. Luckily both of my cases are considered mild, even though I was sick as hell. I didnt go to the doctor or anything like that.

When they test, how do they know if it is the Delta variant?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I am assuming it is the Delta, spreading like wildfire here in FL. Way sicker than last time, first go around was barely sick. Felt about like the flu. I am healthy and younger though. Covid seems to be rough on older or overweight people.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I am assuming it is the Delta, spreading like wildfire here in FL. Way sicker than last time, first go around was barely sick. Felt about like the flu. I am healthy and younger though. Covid seems to be rough on older or overweight people.

I missed it... did you have full course of shots? Did they confirm covid both times?

Reason I ask about confirmation. I asked my cousin (MD) about the "I'm sure I already had covid" comment I used to hear so much. He commented that every couple of years we get a ILI (influenza like illness) that goes around, yet tests negative on flu test.

In any case, sorry you went through it and glad you made it.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Trend is going up yes, but medical facilities currently overwhelmed because of COVID?

Denton County, TX 2021 hospital bed usage, COVID-19 vs other:
1628193358595.png

Slightly exceeded 25% during the winter peak, dropped to somewhat negligible levels by April, creeping up again, nearing ~12.5%.

Not a good trend, for sure, but nothing approaching inundation at the moment.

turbodog

Flashaholic
State of New Mexico, USA posted today. Trend is going up yes, but medical facilities currently overwhelmed because of COVID?

View attachment 14409

We are covered up here in MS. This morning, only 6 ICU beds available in the entire state.

State health officer mentioned that beds/ICU are already pretty full as people were proceeding with deferred stuff now that covid had died down. Well so much for that plan guys!

Any procedure that has a projected overnight hospitalization has been cancelled statewide... and this was last week. The hospitals are practically pushing people out the door to free up beds.

Poppy

Flashaholic
In yesterday's news, a Houston Texas hospital had to airlift a 11 month old baby to another hospital 150 miles away because there was no room left in the pediatric ICU.

In another news segment, today, there were dire warnings, that the virus is now so rampant in half a dozen states, including Texas, Arkansas, Alabama, and Florida, that no mitigation attempts will slow it enough to prevent hospital failure. The states need to start ramping up overflow sites, and that they'll need federal help.

FEMA took weeks to set them up in New York, and New Jersey during the initial surge. Now that they have done it once, I imagine that they should be able to do it more quickly, yet I haven't seen any news reports that they are getting ready to set them up.

The good news for the NE is that the vaccination percentage is high enough that remediation efforts such as distancing, and mask wearing (where appropriate) may still be effective enough to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed.

It appears to me that more vaccine resistant people are getting vaccinated. The country is up to just shy of a million shots a day.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic

In another news segment, today, there were dire warnings, that the virus is now so rampant in half a dozen states, including Texas, Arkansas, Alabama, and Florida, that no mitigation attempts will slow it enough to prevent hospital failure. The states need to start ramping up overflow sites, and that they'll need federal help.

That's the reality. We are headed for disaster and it's impossible to avert it. The biggest & best hospital in the state... has 14 ICU beds available but nobody to staff them.

Just realized my sister (un-vaccinated along with her nurse-practitioner husband) has missed the window of opportunity to get the shot. Their kid will hit school next week, promptly get infected, and bring it home.

MannyScoot

Newly Enlightened
Take a trip to the hospital and it will be empty. I did it here in Arizona, filled and no beds and they were empty..... My Buddy works in a morgue in Phoenix and he told me he has not seen an increase in deaths in the last (18) months.......like advertised......

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When my pop konked his head pretty good one day he was placed in ICU while the proffesionals took care of a brain bleed. He was taking blood thinner medication so a small wound was like a big one. He was on a 150ml (iirc) liquid intake restriction due to heart issues. They had to pump in like 500ml or something of plasma to "water down" the blood he had in him with the thinner med. (The numbers and type of quantity may be incorrect but basically he had to keep up with fluid oz he took in and eliminated each day.) Basically that nearly drowned the poor man but that's why he was in ICU. He came through it fine.

Now, this particular medical facility is in the capital city of my state. It had 14 ICU beds. That's it. Similar to all of the others in the capital city and surrounding counties. At one point while he was there they were all full. That was around 2005 or so when there was no pandemic. It was summer so no flu outbreak issue was in play either. What I'm saying is nearly all medical facilities have very few ICU beds. And year round people in the US occupy most of the capacity. So when the manakin looking guy on tv with the gleem in his eye says "ICU beds are filled to capacity as the pandemic rages on" it's true, but they were already near full anyway. Car crashes, drug over doses, cancer, heart attacks etc.

ICU facilities are extremely expensive and hospitals don't just have a bunch of extra beds laying around. Yet the story right now seems to be that suddenly all 300 previously empty beds at facility X are loaded with covid-19 patients with 673 more people outside in the lobby laying there dieing. So much drama is going around as the D word gets all bantied about. And now this Fauchi character is back on tour stating "you aint seen nothing yet"……again.

Suddenly the light at the end of the tunnel is blowing it's horn saying "the end is near, go back to your basements, but first buy toilet paper"……
Here we go again.

For a year old people and unhealthy people were the big target with outliers here and there. This new Delta thing so far seems to now be affecting pre-teens unlike the previous variants. It's sorta the inverse affects of the Spanish 100 years ago where kids and young people got it first and at stage 3 the seasoned citizens fell from it. Part of that was the war going on. Many people did not know it but back then the US President had the Spanish flu during some of the peace talks.
I wonder how many perished from that one but were labeled as a KIA victim of the war to end all wars. Perhaps we'll never know.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I heard an immunologist on the radio yesterday who said that this is largely a pandemic of the unvaccinated. While vaccinated people can get it, those breakthrough infections are usually mild in the same way that traditional viral infections can be. This offers a glimpse of what "normal" can look like again, assuming we don't see a large spread of a variant that can completely escape the current vaccine.

The regular seasonal flu has new variants every year and the flu vaccines have traditionally been a little less effective than the Covid shots. That's not a fault of the vaccine but an indicator of how quickly the regular flu changes. I know that someone somewhere is working on a universal flu shot; assuming this is possible, maybe there will be a similar shot for Covid someday.

turbodog

Flashaholic
... And now this Fauchi character is back on tour stating "you aint seen nothing yet"……again.

The exact thing happened that one would expect, a mutation happened. This will continue until herd immunity, or we will be this way forever until the virus mutates into a less-lethal, less-healthcare-overwhelming version.

Pathogens tend to mutation into more communicable, less lethal versions over time. But that time can be decades. There are examples of this already.

Status
Not open for further replies.