Paracord

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got myself an Atwood rope mfg. ARM challenge box. Took a few days to pull out and neatly coil up all the 550 lb. paracord. Still working on the half strength tactical cord. I used some tactical cord and paracord to make a hammock that will double as a fishing/animal trapping net for emergencies. Came out to around 7 feet long and 3.5 feet wide. Tactical cord was spaced 3 inches apart with 50 strands across the 7 foot length. 550 lb cord was used to frame the edges and for tieouts (2 strands of 550 cord coming out of each corner). It should be plenty strong for any application. Took 400 feet of tactical cord and 100 feet of paracord to complete it. I alternated using green and brown strands for a more camouflaged look. Had to do something productive to keep from being bored during the lockdown. I have plenty of cord left for more projects if this lockdown keeps going.

archimedes

Flashaholic
As an update, I have untangled and neatly rebundled all but (I think) three of the included cords ... :crazy:

I can't believe it took me six more months to get those last (longest) three cords unknotted, coiled up, and neatly bundled. But I finished that project today :shrug:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made my brother a paracord keychain for his birthday. It was sort of a practical joke. It was basically a paracord bracelet with a loop of tactical cord around the middle attaching a cast iron frying pan to it via a keyring and the two ends of the bracelet with another keyring and a shackle attached together for the end that holds your keys. His name was stitched into the black paracord with uberglow micro cord so it glowed in the dark. The bracelet part was made to rotate around at the middle part with tactical cord to surround the handle of the frying pan as a pot holder. He needed a frying pan to cook with. I don't think he was expecting a 6.5 inch cast iron frying pan on a glow in the dark keychain.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried, but he wouldn't hold it up to take the photo. I'm not set up to post pics online anyway, sorry.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
I can't believe it took me six more months to get those last (longest) three cords unknotted, coiled up, and neatly bundled. But I finished that project today :shrug:

Pics or it didn't happen :p

For those of you that have tried the battle cord what do you think of it? Ive got a mystery box of it coming ( if fedex ever gets their act together). All the other mystery boxes were sold out.

archimedes

Flashaholic
LTqZoGP.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
only the cobra weave. is there a easy one to larn instead of the cobra

raggie33

*the raggedier*
is there any easy to learn very easy wewves that will aloww the most paracord for mt braclets

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
is there any easy to learn very easy wewves that will aloww the most paracord for mt braclets

Google, YouTube, etc...
Loads of free tutorials and image-guides on different weaves. Large quantities of paracord are probably best done with a sinnet.
Sinnets are basically chains woven from a single length of rope or cord and, in the case of paracord ones, you usually just undo the securing clip/knot and then pull to unravel it for use.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
anyone know paracord sold in 50 feet bundles that can hand over 900 pounds?

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone know paracord sold in 50 feet bundles that can hand over 900 pounds?

Don't know about that strength level, but I've bought "Type 4" from a company called Tough-Grid off of Amazon. That was several years back, but they're still around so I'd assume quality is just as good. The cord is just slightly fatter than 550lb cord, since it has a few more internal strands.

Search for Tough-Grid 750lb paracord on Amazon and it ought to come up.

Note that the 750lb rating is the breaking strength. For working load you don't want to get anywhere near the break strength.

If you want a working load of 900+ lbs, you're looking at some serious rope then. Climbing rope, arborist rope, rigging rope, something like that.

ghostguy6

Enlightened

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thank you both im going to make a belt i want something that can handle weight both answers above help a lot ty

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, curiosity got the better of me while I was looking at and reading about the Atwood "Battle Cord". Amazon has 50-foot hanks available for 17 bucks total, arriving Friday, so I said what the heck. $17 to satisfy my curiosity ain't a bad deal!

Some of the reviews said the cord is really stiff, so that may limit its usefulness, but I'll play around with it and see. If nothing else, I can always just throw it in the car trunk to have "in case". I got the "neon orange" color so it could also be used for safety flagging and stuff like that.

Curious as to what it's made of. I'm guessing it's probably not regular nylon if it really has that much tensile strength in only 5.6mm. Couldn't find anything in the product description, but I wonder if the internal strands are one of the super-strength fibers like aramid or poly-something-rather.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battle cord won't work for making a belt, it's too stiff and thick (I tried). If you want something strong, try kevlar or spectra 550 equivalent cord. It's about twice as strong. Battle cord is nylon with 7 strands of 350 lb rated cords in the sheath vs. paracord that has 7 strands totalling 350 lb. strength in a 200 lb. rated sheath. Battle cord is very strong. I made a sort of zip line with it doubled up above a slack line to help kids balance. It holds my weight with a 40 foot span and I'm not light. I also used it double strand for some short rappels (12 feet) down from a wind cave near Ocotillo Wells, CA. Doubled up, it's stronger that 5,000 lbs. (minimal strength for rated climbing rope). Do not use it for a normal climbing rope where you would take a fall as battle cord is static rope (doesn't stretch) vs. paracord that stretches. It can get you out of a jam when an emergency rappel is required though if you know what you're doing. If you put body weight on it, it's very difficult to untie a knot. My body belay rappel with it wrapped around a rock column between two wind cave windows worked well because I didn't use any knots or other gear to get down.

Last edited: