PC Power Supply Running LEDs

uttbigal

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this site and I have some experience with LEDs and electronics. I am trying to do a DIY setup of up to 20 high powered LEDs using an old PC Power Supply. One set of LEDs will be 5 watt with 7 - 7.5 FV and 700mA IF, the other set with be 5 watt with 2 - 2.5 FV and 1400mA IF. I have a few PC power supplies I am not using ranging from 170 watt to 600 watt. I also have a box full of varying resistors. Do you think I can set up an array of LEDs with the supplies I have, if so how many LEDs can go in my array? If not will I need some LED Driver, I am trying to keep this a DIY projects so I don't want to buy a LED Driver. Thank you in advance and I appreciate your response.

Dr.Nonagon

Newly Enlightened
It can be done but why? I think it would be far easier and more time effective to buy the driver you need. They are not expensive really.

It would be better to setup your LED's to fit 3.3 5.0 and 12 volts because that's what the PSU is designed for. A 5w LED driver is like 2 bucks and will still be a DIY project, just not a McGyver project. Sell the 600w psu and buy all the drivers you ever need :O

The total number of LED's you can run would depend on the number of sets of wires on the PSU. A black and yellow will give you a 12v, any orange and black give 5v and red and black give 3.3v. Green and black bypass the switch to enable the unit to power. Depending on 20-24 pin there are white,green gray not used.

But, I don't know much on the subject.