'PD' 2xCR123 Pack - where can I get one?

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like has been said already I'm also a huge fan of the 'PD' design. It's pretty much fail-safe in my eyes.

jag, that's a beautiful body you've got there. If it were 1x17670 instead of 2xAA, if it were PD instead of Clickie, and if I could somehow pry it away from you without too much of a fight, I'd :takeit:. Seriously, Don I would be all over an extended 'PD' body setup if they were offered. :poof: A CR123 with a dummy cell wouldn't bother me at all. Seems that many others would also be interested in such a piece. :grin2:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Those words in red I don't believe are my words. I felt that as soon as the LED's reached 100 lumen output that their dynamic range made a 3 speed quite viable and useful. I could care less about being ahead, behind or ignorant of the times. (latter is probably the case by default anyway)

One thing I did realize though with going to a three speed was that depending on the optic involved, the full range of output could have diminishing returns at one end or the other. For instance a tightly collimated beam provides a lot more benefit at the high end of the spectrum than the low end. I personally feel that the Haiku with its three levels provides more utility in a broad set of possible applications than does the PD-S. That's a subjective call and I don't claim that I am right and someone who would differ is wrong.

As soon as I came out with the LunaSol design, I felt I had taken the UI of the PD to the next level in terms of benefit and intuitive ease of operation. Low and wide, high and long.

Heck, if I could just throw out an idea with no obligation to see something come from it, I would suggest a three speed light that consisted of three flux levels combined with three beam distribution schemes: low and wide, medium and medium ram, high and tight. Considering the LED's out today, I would suggest the platform would be based on an 18650 piston drive and the head would probably be 1 1/4" in diameter. Realistically, the beam distribution would probably be of two variations with flood on low and then a compromise "ram" for both medium and high. I haven't seen Data's new light in operation but he may well be headed in such a direction.

Finding some one willing and capable of designing the electronics for something new is not trivial and there are expenses and many many hours of design that are not easy to carry if not shared by a large number of converters and lights using the same design. :shrug:

We are off topic here and it's a topic I really don't care to get into. :duck:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Don, I didn't mean to throw you into the deep end of the pool with my comments. I know these are sensitive issues and not subjects you like to get into. :sigh:

I know I'm not very good at staying on topic, either. So it does seem like an opportune time to mention that I am still looking forward to the LunaSol-38. :nana: :p

easilyled

Flashaholic
Going back to the original poster's sentiments, rather than a 17670-sized pack, I'd prefer an 18500-sized pack.

It is more compact but the 18500 has a capacity that is close to the 17670.

Apparently TB said that he is not taking orders for his amazing 2 CR123 PD Pack emulating the body of a 27LT.

However he didn't say that he wasn't taking orders for an 18500-sized one. :nana:

I'mGatMan!

Newly Enlightened
Like has been said already I'm also a huge fan of the 'PD' design. It's pretty much fail-safe in my eyes.

jag, that's a beautiful body you've got there. If it were 1x17670 instead of 2xAA, if it were PD instead of Clickie, and if I could somehow pry it away from you without too much of a fight, I'd :takeit:. Seriously, Don I would be all over an extended 'PD' body setup if they were offered. :poof: A CR123 with a dummy cell wouldn't bother me at all. Seems that many others would also be interested in such a piece. :grin2:

+1000

Apparently TB said that he is not taking orders for his amazing 2 CR123 PD Pack emulating the body of a 27LT.

I'd be ALL OVER something like this. HEY TB! WANNA MAKE SOME MONEY???

jag808808

Enlightened
It is a one piece titanium body made by my friend TB. It holds 2 AA batteries to provide the 3 volts needed by the LunaSol 27. It is also a clicky... Don himself has said that he would not make a Ti 2AA clicky body...

I, personally, am drooling over that 2xAA body... Might we have a bit more information about it please???

OMG!!!:eek::drool::wow: I want one of those 2xAA bodies for my LS27 head! Really quite badly!

Don, pleeease? Any chance of getting one someday?

BisB, it would be quite a wrestle to pry that puppy from my grip!

I know your feeling on the PD design. The fail safe design led me to the NiteCore D10 as a backup light. I have a thing for AA batteries. Readily available and cheap.

You "might" be able to twist Scott's arm into making a small run... (selfless plug for TB. Maybe he would send me a Ti 2AA PD to evaluate...)

Hey Don, any possibility of a 2xAA Ti body for Lunasols?:poke::popcorn:

Mahalo everyone for your comments! It is my "grail" light. I have not "needed" another light since... Mahalo Don for my workhorse light!

Aloha,

jag

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 27LT is a good light in the hand and having one that is PD as well as twisty is really nice. I discussed the concept in detail with the machine shop probably over a year ago. Had things gone as planned and anticipated this year and were the economy still welcoming, a 2x123 PD pack might have come to be. As it now stands, there is a working sample in my drawer that gets me excited from time to time when I see it or a thread like this brings it to mind but beyond that, reality sets in and the clock keeps on ticking with new technology changing everything.
:mecry:....:poof: