Peer of a Mini Mag AA

Chingyul

Newly Enlightened
Hey everybody,
This is my first time posting on this section of the board.
Anyways, i was planning to get a mini mag aa (i know, i know, i should have on already), but what are the other incandesent lights in the same price range as the mini mag and are they better or worse and in what ways.
Thanks alot guys
Dan

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I concur with the Legend over the MiniMag for no other reason than for the switch. I prefer not to refocus everytime I turn on the light. There are about 100 other lights I'ld recomend over these, but not for the price & stoutness. TX

Chingyul

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.
Now i got a slew of questions to ask, so bear with me.
Do you guys have a picture of it?
Made of metal or plastic?
Does the switch lock or is it a momentary switch?
Who sells these?
Where can i get them the cheapest?
(NOTE: in canada)

Thanks for the help guys.

Lonewolf

Enlightened
No pic
made of metal
yes switch locks in on position
I have seen them in Walmart

Hope this helps.

Velcro

Enlightened
Dan, here is a picture of the Legend 2AA from the Galls website:

FL275AC.jpg

I wish Brinkmann had better pictures of it's torches on the website. Almost everytime I want to look at one, I have to go find that model on a different website because the pictures are so indistinct.

Greetings,
Velcro

Tesla

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
I concur with the Legend over the MiniMag for no other reason than for the switch. I prefer not to refocus everytime I turn on the light. TX<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The switch is a nice feature, but it negates one of the nice features of the Mini-mag....the spare bulb in the tailcap. This may not be an issue to many, but my primary use of the Mini-mag is backpacking and it's a bigger deal to always have a spare bulb WITH the light itself.

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daniel Ramsey:
the tailcap is aluminum with a plastic switch similar to the Garrity but much sturdier. It does have a soft push for signalling or constant on, you turn to lock it off.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So if I understand this right, you turn the switch like 90 degrees and it locks off, which I assume is ment to prevent accidental turn-on? And when you turn the switch back to the opposite side you have instant pushbutton action?

Does anyone have the 3AA Legend? Is it exactly the same light as the 2AA (with 1 more battery of course)? How much brighter is it compared to the 2AA?

Greetings,
Velcro

Tesla

Enlightened
Daniel, are you running straight battery power to the LED or using a resistor on your 3AA Legend mod? How does the output compare to say, an ARC AAA?

Velcro

Enlightened
Thanks Daniel.

BTW, the rubber grips on the Legend 2AA and 3AA are available in four colors.

Legend2A1.jpg

Looks like the yellow grips are a good way to find the torch in the dark.
smile.gif

Greetings,
Velcro

Termac

Newly Enlightened
On the other hand, If one want a BRIGHT light in this size and price class, the Princeton Tec Rage is the ticket.

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Termac:
On the other hand, If one want a BRIGHT light in this size and price class, the Princeton Tec Rage is the ticket.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But that's not really fair. The Rage is a 4AAA light that uses a xenon lamp and the Legend has a krypton lamp. I think that when you put the Brinkmann Nexstar xenon lamp in the Legend, it would make it comparable to the Rage.

Greetings,
Velcro

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Velcro:
But that's not really fair. The Rage is a 4AAA light that uses a xenon lamp and the Legend has a krypton lamp. I think that when you put the Brinkmann Nexstar xenon lamp in the Legend, it would make it comparable to the Rage.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it doesn't even come close. i've never seen one of the tiny smooth reflectors in spite of the ability to focus, running a T1 type bulb that wasn't an exercise in frustration. The beam is consistently terrible, even when focused well. I've seen cheap 2AA lights with PR bulbs that blow them out of the water. I've tried the Nexstar in the Legend AA. You get a bright beam with an option of a dark spot in the middle, or a terribly irregular shaped bright beam.
frown.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a MiniMag with the Nexstar bulb, lithium batteries & WrightRight on the lens. I also have a Rage with alkline batteries & WrightRight on the lens. I would say they are the same amount of bright, but the Rage puts its' bright over a much larger area. I believe the Brinkman 2AA Legend has a switch. I prefer the push button switch so you don't have to refocus. It would be a tough choice between the 3. I guess mine would be the Rage. It puts out a good useable light without the WrightRight, & I can use the batteries in my ARC LE when they get to low for the Rage. But for what you pay, the Mag & Brinkman, with some modifiction are excellent lights too. TX