Penlight for ER Nurse pt exams and EDC: Ready Made and Mod Advice

knnthsmthii

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of buying building a penlight. I have a couple of old shells that will hold AAA's and AA's. Does anyone have advice in this area? Where [not] to buy; What [not] to buy; Pitfalls etc. I'm shooting to build something useful for pt exams (I'm an ER Nurse) as well as EDC - w/ 3 modes: low, med, and hi. Low = < 1 lmn [or least < 3]. Med = hopefully < 50 lmns. Hi > 200 [or at very least 150]. Natural White LED.

Thank you for any advice!!​

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How old are we talking about? LED advancements happen almost yearly so 2016 would have some great offerings like the ThruNite Ti4 NW for ~$25 on Amazon has:

-Firefly(0.3 lumens, 137hours)
-Low (24 lumens, 12hours)
-High (252 lumens, 51minutes)

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
I know that many medical professionals value an emitter with high CRI (color rendering index), which shows far more natural-looking colors than average LED's. The Nichia 219B is a great choice of emitter in that vein. Maybe consider something like this Manker E01 (aka Astrolux A01).

Downside of the 219B is typically lower outputs, so you're not likely to get the 150-200 lumens you're asking for on a AAA, but it might be worth the trade-off. And of course you'll be carrying a second light with more power anyway … ;)

There's also the BLF 348, which is a single-mode AAA/10440 light with a 219B. Probably wouldn't meet your needs though.

PFlexPro, which makes/mods really great lights, offers a Convoy S2+ with a 219B in the 18350 size. That would give you lots of power in a relatively small package (but not a penlight, certainly) and your choice among 22 mode groups. I'd say that's your best choice unless you're set on AA/AAA. Max would be ~300 lumens.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a retired Chief Flight Nurse and for a small package the Four Sevens Hi CRI Titanium Preon 2 served me well over many years. On low it is adequate for pupillary exams, medium for overall assessment and high whenever needed. I always had 4 lights, two small, two large to cover anything that came up, but my faithful Preon 2 was always the first light I would go to for patient care. The options today are so numerous and overall inexpensive comparatively a lot will depend on your personal preference. The Surefire Titan plus is a AAA light with rechargeable battery than has 3 levels and has Surefire's reputation for dependability.
A hi CRI is going to be essential to gauge skin color, cyanosis, etc. Prometheus (Dark Sucks) QR has excellent CRI in a quick release format for flexibility. Your battery of choice will also influence the decision if you want the power & recharge ability of Lithium Ion or the the lower cost of NIMH like Sanyo Eneloops. Good Luck.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a retired Chief Flight Nurse and for a small package the Four Sevens Hi CRI Titanium Preon 2 served me well over many years. On low it is adequate for pupillary exams, medium for overall assessment and high whenever needed. I always had 4 lights, two small, two large to cover anything that came up, but my faithful Preon 2 was always the first light I would go to for patient care. The options today are so numerous and overall inexpensive comparatively a lot will depend on your personal preference. The Surefire Titan plus is a AAA light with rechargeable battery than has 3 levels and has Surefire's reputation for dependability.
A hi CRI is going to be essential to gauge skin color, cyanosis, etc. Prometheus (Dark Sucks) QR has excellent CRI in a quick release format for flexibility. Your battery of choice will also influence the decision if you want the power & recharge ability of Lithium Ion or the the lower cost of NIMH like Sanyo Eneloops. Good Luck.

Sounds to me like the retired Chief Flight Nurse has got you covered and I will second what he has to say. Of course I'm just a lowly FP-C, so take that with a grain of salt. LOL! :nana:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Hello, flashlight people!"

This video by virtuovice was published last October, and reviews a variety of high-CRI Nichia flashlights that might be used by physicians and nurses. His new "second-best" favorite is the EagleTac D25 AAA Mini in Nichia hi-CRI.

He says,

This tiny and cool designed flashlight makes pretty comfortable nearby illumination. General practitioners and pediatricians must love this light for their practice. Nichia hi-CRI cannot be defeated for this purpose.

His favorite is the no-longer-available Foursevens Preon 2 (Nichia 219B). In the video below, he says the Thrunite Ti4 is a reasonable substitute.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I have to visit a Dr soon I hope it is you,nice find for the medical users.Cannot really understand why on earth medical people would even ask a hobby site for advice as I presume very few of us know what requirements are needed of a light in that profession.

Really? You might be shocked how many Drs, Nurses, Paramedics and other professionals are involved in CPF-not to mention Engineers, Rocket Scientists and professional photographers. Who better to give advice on the latest and best products in the field, both retail and custom?