People say the darndest things

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday (the 3rd), I discovered that the junior college at which I work does not allow the use, possession, or sale of guns, knives, and something or other else (I "possess" and "use" a knife almost every day for my job). An instructor I'd met previously was looking through a general informational booklet, and was reading aloud the Student Rights and Responsibilities (it's not so much rights that we have so much as rights we don't have), one of which was that rule. It mentioned that a school official could give authorization if required. I went to a school official, and she (of course) didn't know about that rule. Can you guess what she said about knives?

"You don't really need a knife." :ohgeez:

We have box cutters, and everyone knows that those are exactly the same as folding knives, right? I immediately asked her if box cutters had pocket clips (it was rhetorical; I know they don't) or if I could carry one around (also rhetorical; I don't even have my own set of keys). She wasn't overly enthused about that (and I probably shouldn't have talked back to a higher-up!), but she gave me the "authorization" I needed anyway.

As she walked by me on her way out of her office, she noticed my Gladius with FM34, and asked me what it was. I told her, and do you know what she said?

"What else does it do?" :ohgeez:

I replied that it's a very GOOD flashlight. I showed her the features, and she asked me if it was expensive. "A bit" wasn't enough, so I said to her: "Two hundred..." she gasped... "and thirty."

Basically, I took it upon myself to get an authorization that nobody cares enough about to be aware of for a knife that I bought myself (with my own money) and use almost every day.

I just hope the above doesn't come across as "a tale / Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, / Signifying nothing."

So, does anyone agree with me? :candle:

Last edited:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sheeple say the darndest things

Rules???

Not really meant to be applied in all situations.

But don't you work there, are you not staff and exempt from student rules?
Sorry if I missread.

Empath

Administrator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
Supporter

A couple of things that you might consider, if you hope for this thread to survive.

One is the title. Your term "sheeple" is a derogatory term toward certain political leanings, invites undue conflict, and is intimidating toward opposing views from the start.

Second, is that you need to clarify if this is a rule regarding campus possession, or a rule governing on and off-campus behavior. Leaving it unclear invites argumentation for or against that have little relevance to the situation.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

No problem, Empath!

Thread title: Changed. I thought "sheeple" just referred to people who don't have an EDC and don't understand those who do.

Clarification: The rule is under "Student Rights and Responsibilities." It refers to on-campus rules for students. I am indeed a member of the staff, but I am taking what is basically a "work experience" class (I'm an intern), so technically I am also a student. I didn't want to take any chances, so I went and got an authorization regardless of whether or not it was actually required.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

Empath said:
...snip...
One is the title. Your term "sheeple" is a derogatory term toward certain political leanings...snip...

I never took it as political - I always took it as People who follow along with the crowd without thinking (left OR right) - like sheep follow the flock.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

It would appear that "people who blindly follow the crowd" is the manner in which the original poster intended to use the word.

KC2IXE said:
I never took it as political - I always took it as People who follow along with the crowd without thinking (left OR right) - like sheep follow the flock.

Empath

Administrator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
Supporter

The thought is being discussed in this thread.
It would be better to go there to discuss it, than to alter the topic of discussion in this thread.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was once interviewed by an "investigator" regarding knives. I explained that while I sometimes carry a Leatherman-style tool out of necessiuty, there are many common uses for knives in a technology environment, including opening boxes safely (rather than stabbing the shipping tape with screwdrivers), performing modifications to printed-circuit boards, stripping insulation, even cutting important articles out of trade magazines. I completely understood the intention of her question (using knives offensively), and I believe she understood the intention and validity of my response.

Having said that, it can be intimidating to some when an individual obviously EDCs a knife (particularly a large one!) in an environment where that type of tool isn't commonly used. It's all about the context in which a tool is carried.

BTW I don't carry sharp objects any more than I have to. I'm a putz with sharp knives. :eek: :laughing:

Latest posts