Perceptions of what is too big for EDC

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
My perception of what is too big for EDC is likely anything that would be to strenuous to physically carry. However, as society deems one who walks around with something like a K60 strapped to their back as odd, strange, freakish, weird, outlandish,.... I don't do that, and have developed a refined sense of what is acceptable size for EDC.

So, with the whole "biggest I can carry" model completely ruled out, as I want to continue to "fit in" with society, I'm still left with several choices and often pondering the notion of just where does society draw the line for carrying around a big flashlight? After all, if my jacket is bulging and anyone asks what I have there, I will be forced to reveal that I carry around a giant flashlight. Thus the notion of simply shoving the K60 into my inner jacket pocket is then additionally wiped out.

Most popcan size lights tend to fall under this same logic. However, producing a popcan size light doesn't quite induce the same reaction of shock and disbelief as does the K60. It still is easily fair game to be deemed "quite odd" though. This brings me to single 26650 size lights. PERFECTION! This winter finds me at the movies, going to parties, walking in the park, helping out friends and family, all the while, little be-known to my social spheres and at a moments notice, I could spring forth with a mind numbing 2,000 lumens 600 meters throw Acebeam EC60.

Summertime prolly 1X 16340 is cool.
Very interesting post. If I want to fit in with society, then I want my flashlight to fit in my pocket.

If I am not a flashoholic, I will be able to choose the correct flashlight behaviors that will not cause me to become socially dislocated. If I am a flashoholic, I will not have the power of choice, and I will become socially dislocated due to my flashlight behavior.

There is also a geographical factor. What flashlight I can carry in the middle of Texas and still fit in is not what I can carry in the middle of a university city in the Northeastern region.

What is my motive? I enjoy carrying my K70 in its hip holster. Do I do it to intimidate society? Have I fitted my K70 with a folding stock, bipod, high-capacity battery, laser sight and flash suppressor?

Normal people walk around with big dogs. They look normal. I walk around with big flashlights. My flashlights have bitten less people then Teds' dog.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Was looking up data on my TK20, and posts from 2008 complain that it is too big for EDC !!!

This is a 2 AA size light, about 6 1/4" long. So pretty much the standard EDC size, today.
EDC is all about perception.... what do you personally perceive as being too big for EDC. For someone that's accustomed to it, even a 5 D-Cell Maglite can be fine (but probably not ideal) for EDC...

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Very interesting post. If I want to fit in with society, then I want my flashlight to fit in my pocket.

If I am not a flashoholic, I will be able to choose the correct flashlight behaviors that will not cause me to become socially dislocated. If I am a flashoholic, I will not have the power of choice, and I will become socially dislocated due to my flashlight behavior.

There is also a geographical factor. What flashlight I can carry in the middle of Texas and still fit in is not what I can carry in the middle of a university city in the Northeastern region.

What is my motive? I enjoy carrying my K70 in its hip holster. Do I do it to intimidate society? Have I fitted my K70 with a folding stock, bipod, high-capacity battery, laser sight and flash suppressor?

Normal people walk around with big dogs. They look normal. I walk around with big flashlights. My flashlights have bitten less people then Teds' dog.

Hahaha,. The thread is titled "Perceptions of what is too big for EDC". Perceptions can be very impractical and unrealistic and yet easily believed to be factual and substantive. Let's say I walk into a room and there are a bunch of people with a K60 strapped to their backs talking about how much love the K60 and don't leave home without it. if I stay in the room for a couple hours, I may begin to perceive it as normal to walk around with a K60 even though I never carried a flashlight before.
So perceptions literally could be anything from the most impractically large to nothing over 10mm. So, I don't perceive the K60 as too big for EDC. In reality though, I never EDC this light. Perceptions of what reality is are not markers for reality. I just find this thread a bit interesting. Sorry if you perceive me to ramble. lol

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
The edc that goes in my left front pocket everyday is either smallish, like a Haiku or TinyDC, or very small, like the Aeon Mk. lll.

But my REAL everyday carry is my R50vn. I don't store it in my front pocket anymore because it's a bit too large for that anyway plus women tend to give me funny looks. Not men though, only women.... no idea way.

So basically my perception of what is too big for edc is... anything that causes discomfort or results in unwanted FB friends requests from single, overweight women with tiny mustaches.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha good point about perceptions. I seem to prefer single 18650 lights for EDC and recently switched over to a smaller and more floody 18650 as my main EDC light but I could definitely see a wide range of possible EDC options for me if I have different careers over time or live in different areas with different likelihoods of the power going out and various ranges of open areas to see in.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a light in my shirt pocket. A thin 1xAA, 1xAAA, or 2xAAA light is about the largest I want to carry on my person these days.

Last edited:

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
The edc that goes in my left front pocket everyday is either smallish, like a Haiku or TinyDC, or very small, like the Aeon Mk. lll.

But my REAL everyday carry is my R50vn. I don't store it in my front pocket anymore because it's a bit too large for that anyway plus women tend to give me funny looks. Not men though, only women.... no idea way.

So basically my perception of what is too big for edc is... anything that causes discomfort or results in unwanted FB friends requests from single, overweight women with tiny mustaches.

Hmmm...front pocket [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got three stages of EDC :) A shirt pocket -- Lumintop IYP365 or Olight S1 Ti; a coat pocket -- Elzetta AVS Bravo (B343); a bag -- once it was Thrunite TN32 :). Now a bag is occupied by Lumintop TD16 XP-L. Kind of.

Last edited:

Loomun

Newly Enlightened
Everyone has their limits of what is too big for EDC

For me, it`s along the size of a light that uses a single 18650, anything larger than my Fenix PD35TAC, I won`t use for EDC.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
A Malkoff MDC 16340 is about as much is comfortable for me to EDC. If I have a jacket I'll stick something larger in a pocket if I know I'll need it.

I have carried a 2 AA light in my front pocket and it wasn't exactly comfortable but not horrid either.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have said anything heavier than a plastic energizer headlamp. Then I realized the convoy could be vecrod to go in line with belt. . Still the convoy at 800 ma doesnt run long enough or throw enough to use as an edc . . The edc need have 4k candela and 8 hour runtime, and a much more efficient controller. The amc7135 x6 doesn't cut it. . Also, need a true aluminum she'll, not aluminum composite. . 20mm is too small. Never liked tir. Need a ramping 700ma single 28650. Or better pot dimming 2 cell switching buck, with pot dimming and max of, say, 500 ma. Though I don't feel safe charging anything 8.4v lipo like that I make, just yet.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
My Thrunite 1Av3 is just a hair over 4in in length, and that's about as big as I want to pocket carry these days. On the other hand, I've also carried some lights that I felt were too small. Not too small for the pocket, but too small to handle easily when I actually needed to use them. All in all, I thing a 3.5 to 4in light is about the ideal combination of form and function for edc.

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
It really depends on my attire, where I'm going and what I'm doing. I don't perceive anything as being too big. I usually have a Streamlight TLR1s with me attached to a defensive device. If I'm in a suit I usually have a PD22UE in my pocket. I can't seem to carry a light in jean pockets without it accidentally getting turned on so I only EDC a light that has a holster when I'm in jeans. If I felt like going out with an 8 x AA EA81 I wouldn't hesitate to. Usually I carry a 1 x 18650 or a 1 x CR123. As long as it has a holster I'll EDC it when I'm in jeans or shorts.