Perhaps the finest SureFire 'Z-series' implementation ...

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very impressive!

Now, for those battery makers to update the 18500 capacity...why does the 18650 get all the upgrades and nothing trickles into the 18500?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
why does the 18650 get all the upgrades and nothing trickles into the 18500?
i'm no business/economy geek, but i'm assuming the demand isn't as high or the boost isn't gonna be large enough so far as capacity goes to warrant new processes or plants or whatever to make them.

for example, the 14500 size is now at 840 mAh by Sanyo (that's the highest capacity I know of, but don't take that as the gospel), but it's been at 750 mAh for years now. I guess the development cycle of smaller cells isn't as rapid or something.

again, i'm no expert, but i'm assuming i'm roughly correct

archimedes

Flashaholic
Very impressive!

Now, for those battery makers to update the 18500 capacity...why does the 18650 get all the upgrades and nothing trickles into the 18500?

Maybe because 18650 cells are used in a few billion laptops, while 18500 cells are used by a few ... people on CPF ? - ;)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... because 18650 cells are used in a few billion laptops ...
+1

AFAIK the 18650 is the most highly developed cell of its type. Would have never happened without laptops.

Combine the high amp battery with Surefire lights (as well as those with similar dimensions) that thick walled & based around CR-123 cells. Nominal bore for CR-123 is 17.5mm & it needs to be just 18.5mm or a bit more for the 18650. I read somewhere that Surefire (then Laser Products) had tried 18650 but decided to standardize on CR-123 ... leaving enough wall thickness to mod the light for 18650.

JCD

Enlightened
Nice build. I have a well used 6R on which I might have to perform a similar conversion. I wonder how much runtime I could get from a P91 with 2x 18650 cells.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
That combination of output and runtime is awesome.

Can you still work the switch in the Rogers/Surefire hold with that recessed button?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks folks. Allburger gets partial credit though. :eek:

That combination of output and runtime is awesome.
Can you still work the switch in the Rogers/Surefire hold with that recessed button?

That's the compromise; due to the interior length requirements, the "ZR Shorty" switch is 'solid', no spring or button, so the tailcap must be rotated to turn the light on & off.

No big deal for this light though - this is my 'big light', the one I turn on and carry for 1+ hrs or so for walking at night. So I can deal without the rear momentary function for this light.

Last edited: