Permit for Gen2 or 3


Newly Enlightened
Jan 19, 2007

Do you know where could I get a permit to bought a gen2 or 3 from the US?
Who should I email to?



Apr 9, 2002
Apparently this requires a permit/license from the US State department. A quick search on their site didn't show anything obvious, unfortunately. I'm not sure if you'd need to contact a current permit/license holder to export the nvg to you (after appropriate checks to ensure you aren't Evil), or what.

Oh, wait- from

Export Restrictions Warning: Export of U.S. manufactured night vision equipment is strictly prohibited without a valid export license issued by the U.S. Department of State Office of Defense Trade Controls, in accordance with International Traffic in Arms (ITAR), Title 22, Code of Federal Regulations Part 120-130. For further information contact the Office of Defense Trade Control @ (202) 663 2700.

From ITT Tech, (

What countries outside the U.S. use night vision equipment?

Various levels of night vision technology (generations) are available throughout the world from foreign (non-U.S.) manufacturers. The U.S. Department(s) of Defense, State, and Commerce restrict the international sale of night vision technology/equipment manufactured in the U.S. These restrictions apply primarily to Generation 3 technology, the most advanced technology currently used by U.S. military forces. However, in an effort to support U.S. allies and to ensure interoperability of equipment, the U.S. Government allows Gen 3 technology to be exported to all NATO countries, plus Japan, South Korea, Australia, Egypt, and Israel. Other countries' requests for Gen 3 technology must be reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis. The U.S. Government is currently implementing a new system for reviewing night vision export licenses that uses various levels of Gen 3 tube performance - rather than simply the Generation itself - as the limiting "parameters" by which export applications are reviewed/approved. This approach is referred to as the "Figure of Merit" (FOM) system.

Personally, I'd try calling ITT Tech, as this page recommends-