Personlizing My Mule Head

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, the CF I used is nice but your shell face looks FANTASTIC! :twothumbs Your Mule is a wonderful light for close up tasks and mine has become a true EDC. Being able to customize the Mule`s look is an added bonus I am enjoying ;)

Guys, it really is quite simple to pop out the lens and add a custom look to this light. HD45 is much more of a challange to remove and replace the lens. The slots in the side of the Mule head to access the O ring to push it inward instead of having to hook it and pull it inward really helps in not destroying the O ring and scratching the lens in the proccess. Anyone that wants to try something like this still needs to be careful, of course. In my opinion, any custom face added should clear the silver ring of the Cee emitter and not put any pressure on it. This may not pop the ring and dome from the die instantly but if the light were dropped, the vibration from impact along with that pessure good very well cause this to happen.

BTW, I would LOVE to see more pictures of folks custom faced Mules PLEASE! :popcorn: After Don`s picture, I am sure many of you guys HAVE to customize yours now! :naughty:

LongMuleAbalone.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Johnson

Newly Enlightened
Wow! There are some seriously cool ideas here for pimped McGizmos. Keep 'em coming.:twothumbs

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I got a mule comng in the mail soon. Quick question, what are outer diameter and inner diameter of the disc? I've got an uncle who runs a watch shop and I thinking a watch face say something from Tag Heuer would be super cool eh?

Edwood

Enlightened
For cutting a round disc of kevlar, perhaps using a punch die, if it's thin enough? Small one first for the hole in the middle, then a larger one for the outer shape to cut out. Shearing action is definitely the best way to cut kevlar. It's kind of like the titanium of fibers. Very strong, but prone to cosmetic damage easily, it just frays like crazy.

-Ed

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I got a mule comng in the mail soon. Quick question, what are outer diameter and inner diameter of the disc? I've got an uncle who runs a watch shop and I thinking a watch face say something from Tag Heuer would be super cool eh?
Does anyone have this information, and be willing to share it with us? Thanks in advance! :)

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can the stuff be cut with a laser cutter?
I have a friend with a laser cutting machine I am sure he would cut the donuts for us. If it would work.
Let me know if you know if it will and I will set up a cutting session.
Yaesumofo

Thanks guys! My Mule is getting Kensterized! I have some other ideas to personalize my light, as well. :grin2:

The lens O Ring was a breeze with the extra slots in the head. :twothumbs I tried a Glo O Ring on the outside of the lens but it didn`t want to stay. Didn`t have one the right size to replace the inside O ring but I have some in the mail.

Don, here is a link to the Carbon Fiber sheet I bought on Ebay. There are other options & colors from the same seller. I only used a tiny dot from the corner of the 12" x 12" sheet so if you would like a piece to play with for fun just let me know. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/yellow-CARBON-F...5230648QQihZ008QQcategoryZ47127QQcmdZViewItem

If anyone knows the way to cut this stuff clean & neat, can you... PLEASE TELL ME HOW? :p

Ken

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Personalizing My Mule Head

Hey guys. A while back I found a carbon fibre ipod nano case at radio shack. this is for the old nano so they are on closeout for $3.97There is enough carbon fibre for many many of these mule rings.
Only problem is the shape is very difficult to cut.
I don't mean that it is hard to do. Nope stuff cuts like butter. it is very hard to do well and get the shape exact.
This is where my buddy with the laser cutting machine comes in. I still don't know how thick the material is that he can cut.

I was able to cut a rough donut out of CF with a dremel with out any problem at all. the dremel makes quick work of it. a template or guide would make it a whole lot easier to do. Personally I don't have the patience to deal with the precise cutting necessary.
I have one of the PET disks which Don sends out with the aleph mule. This makes a good basic shape except that they require further shaping in order to fit. It may be easier to simply measure the ID ot the LE and the OD od the emitter and cut. The problem with that is that it assumes perfect centering of the emitter. Is yours perfect?
The process will take patience. Now if my laser cutter buddy would only call me back.
Funny when I was younger I had a lot more patience to work with a sanding block I guess I would rather have somebody else do it for me.

So don't forget some easily available RAW material is available at radio shack for $3.97 these Ipod Nano cases were $25-$30 before so if your local shop has them (likely) you will have some CF of the perfect thickness ready for you to cut into the shape you need it in.
Yaesumofo

da.gee

Enlightened
OT: I'm sure it's just me but this thread title is nasty.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
If someone can give me the proper Aleph Mule McClicky disk measurements I can give the local stone place a call. I am going to have a disk made of red marble.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
YES the aleph mule is what I got, thanks for helping me out! That disk measurement is just what I need buddy. overall dia and hole dia pleez

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Personalizing My Mule Head

ok

I have it as.6375" for the OD of the disk

and

.285" for the ID of the McPet donut.

This disk requires some trimming in order to fit in the e-screw/e-can which is in my mule.
Don mentioned the fact that these McPet disks may require some adjustment around the emitter.

In any event I am also interested in a disk made from agate actually so if you are going to have something cut would you PM me if it is possible for me to send you some material to have cut as well?
IMHO a material like agate will have a lot to show.
Let me know if I can get in on your cut run.
Yaesumofo

YES the aleph mule is what I got, thanks for helping me out! That disk measurement is just what I need buddy. overall dia and hole dia pleez

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The inner hole is exactly the same as a standard hole punch!
I Just messed around @ work and made a disk out of a soda can, and placed it over the stock plastic ring for insulation. Quite easy, looks good!

Update: Glow disk was a success! See the link in my sig line.

Last edited: