Philips Flattens the Downlight with SlimSurface LED

slebans

Enlightened
They fixture is certainly slimmer but they forgot to flatten the price.

http://www.ledinside.com/news/2014/9/philips_flattens_the_downlight_with_slimsurface_led

Royal Philips, the global leader in lighting, today announced that after flattening the light bulb with Philips SlimStyle, the company has flattened the downlight with the introduction of the Philips SlimSurface LED family of downlights. Providing the illusion of recessed downlighting, but with just a 5/8" surface mount design that is nearly flush with the ceiling, SlimSurface allows lighting to be installed in locations where wall and ceiling clearance can be an issue, such as basements.

The full Philips SlimSurface line has an MSRP of US $40 - $50 and will be available on October 23rd

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
have Philips done other light fixtures like this? It's the first I've seen, but I don't stay up to date on this stuff.

Overall, I like the idea of a light fixture that takes advantage of LEDs high reliability and doesn't have provisions for changing out bulbs. I'm not sure I'm excited over a light where the max output is 980 lumens. I was expecting something that would at least replace a 100watt incandescent. The relatively low output makes me wonder why... are they just repackaging the guts of their LED bulbs? Are they limited by a lack of heatsinking?

Well, in terms of heatsinking, it's got to be better to make a light with poor heatsinking than to build a LED bulb with poor heatsinking and then encase it in a light fixture with no access to air flow.

MattPete

Newly Enlightened
Looks like Philips version of the old Lighting Science Glimpse. I do like that the lighting surface is recessed in the fixture, rather than bulging out like a Glimpse. Should cut down on glare.

I have a room with recessed lights that is underlamped. This might be a better solution than cutting out more holes for ICAT recessed fixtures.

made in china

Newly Enlightened
the company has flattened the downlight with the introduction of the Philips SlimSurface LED family of downlights. Providing the illusion of recessed downlighting, but with just a 5/8" surface mount design that is nearly flush with the ceiling, SlimSurface allows lighting to be installed in locations where wall and ceiling clearance can be an issue, such as basements.

pfft, Philips is talking like they did us all a favor. This type of LED fixture has been available for a while now at HD, SKU 340286. We used a few in our bathroom remodel. Same thing, very thin, fits in a small junction box. Worked out good for us, that bathroom is in a basement, and the ductwork in the ceiling above prevented us from installing cans. But HD was ahead of Philips on this one.