Philips "Vision" vs "VisionPlus" vs "X-treme Vision"

Alaric Darconville

Staff member
Re: Philips "Vision" vs "VisionPlus" vs "X-treme Vision"

1) Improve the light output. I previously drove a BMW X5 with HID lights and I replaced the dying bulbs with Osram Night Breakers, which were incredible. The OEM lights on my Accord seem very dim by comparison.
This might be possible to do, but it may also be you simply have no option but to use the best H11 available, these.

2) Make the light a cooler white to match the DRLs and fog lamps, which are both LED and a very cool white (purely for styling - the OEM bulb is super yellow compared to the LED lights and looks ugly).
There's really no real sensible reason to try for a "cooler white", especially in an attempt to match fog lamps. The OEM bulb will produce white light, as will the H11 linked before-- and the only time people will even see your fog lamps and your low beams on at the same time is in fog lamp conditions-- nighttime, and at very low speeds. Everyone's going to be too busy driving in the fog to even remotely care about your sense of style.

My initial instinct was to convert to an LED, and I found some nice looking kits from Genssi and GTR. But after reading CPF, it sounds like that's not a good idea so I'll abandon that idea and stick with halogen bulbs, which leads me to my questions.
Definitely NOT a good idea to try to convert to LED. Those light-shaped toys are a no-go.

Why would anyone choose anything less than the X-treme Vision (+100% / +130%) bulb? Also, it seems like the H11 only comes in the +100% version - is that correct?
Sometimes the slightly shorter life is a turn-off. Or, they think the toy LED drop-ins are better because they give in to marketing. The Philips H11 linked is +100% and is the best available.

And, finally, being that I was thrilled with my HID Night Breakers on my previous car, are the Philips bulbs any better?
From the reputable makers, when you go for the non-'bling' types (like the Osram "Cool Blue Intense") you're often hard-pressed to find much of a difference and won't be making a mistake going with Philips. If you're in the market for the D2R, then by all means get these.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Staff member

I have a 2016 Accord which uses an H11 halogen bulb in a projector housing. Being that the car is new, the housings are in perfect condition.

Well, this is easy and straightforward. The best H11 bulbs are these, the linked bulbs will put out more light and make the headlamps somewhat less brownish compared to your present long-life bulbs. Or for a bigger upgrade you can (in this application) swap in an H9 bulb to achieve upgrade results comparable to the ones shown here and here.

1) Improve the light output. I previously drove a BMW X5 with HID

You will not be able to match the apparent/subjective performance of your X5 in your Accord. That's just not possible. There are ways of making yourself think you've done it ("HID kits", "LED kits") but down that road lies unsafe, illegal headlamps that have not actually been upgraded, they've been DEgraded.

Make the light a cooler white to match the DRLs and fog lamps, which are both LED

This, too, will not happen. Halogen lights look like halogen lights because they are halogen lights. LEDs look like LEDs because they are LEDs. You can waste a lot of money on halogen bulbs that claim to match HID/LED appearance, but none of them actually do it, and the further you push the light from a halogen bulb towards blue, the less actual light you have on the road.

My initial instinct was to convert to an LED

This is not effective, legal, or safe.

Why would anyone choose anything less than the X-treme Vision (+100% / +130%) bulb?

Lower price, longer lifespan.

Also, it seems like the H11 only comes in the +100% version - is that correct?

I think that's right, at least for the moment.

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened

This might be possible to do, but it may also be you simply have no option but to use the best H11 available, these.

You've kind of answered the meat of my question...based on my previous experience with the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited, I was planning to go that route. But read the buzz about the X-treme Vision, which lead me to rethink my decision. On the other hand, they're like $30 for a set and if I don't like them, I suppose I could just swap them out.

There's really no real sensible reason to try for a "cooler white", especially in an attempt to match fog lamps. The OEM bulb will produce white light, as will the H11 linked before-- and the only time people will even see your fog lamps and your low beams on at the same time is in fog lamp conditions-- nighttime, and at very low speeds. Everyone's going to be too busy driving in the fog to even remotely care about your sense of style.

Style doesn't have to be sensible. :nana: While I'm generally a "function over form" kind of guy, I do like my vehicles to look nice. And the OEM bulbs just plain look ugly and out of place.

Watch the first few seconds of this video. You'll see that the low beam lights are very yellow compared to the DRL strip right beneath it. I'm hoping for a halogen bulb to match more closely than stock OEM. The OEM bulb is what I'd call a warm white...

Sometimes the slightly shorter life is a turn-off. Or, they think the toy LED drop-ins are better because they give in to marketing. The Philips H11 linked is +100% and is the best available.

Ok, so the tradeoff is brightness vs. life span?

From the reputable makers, when you go for the non-'bling' types (like the Osram "Cool Blue Intense") you're often hard-pressed to find much of a difference and won't be making a mistake going with Philips. If you're in the market for the D2R, then by all means get these.

Thanks - after reading about how LED and HID conversions don't work so well, I'm not going to go that route.

Alaric Darconville

Staff member

Style doesn't have to be sensible.
It does when your "style" endangers your safety.

Again, your fog lamps should never be on except when NEEDED, and in a dangerous situation like that NOBODY CARES how stylish you are. If you are using your fog lamps in the absence of fog, you're not being stylish, you're reducing your own ability to see in the distance, and you're putting excessive glare out for everyone else.

Watch the first few seconds... You'll see that the low beam lights are very yellow compared to the DRL strip right beneath it.
Because the camera did white balancing and also because it doesn't matter. Again, your fog lamps are fog lamps, not fashion accessories.

I'm hoping for a halogen bulb to match more closely than stock OEM. The OEM bulb is what I'd call a warm white...
The OEM bulb is optimized for lifespan, which deoptimizes it for performance, hence the warmer look of an OEM bulb compared to a standard bulb, and particularly compared to a genuinely high-performance halogen bulb.

Ok, so the tradeoff is brightness vs. life span?
Correct. As you make more compact, extremely hot filaments that consume the same wattage but have a higher filament luminance and higher luminous efficacy, bulb life goes down. However, with long-life bulbs, their performance steadily declines (both in filament precision and lumens maintenance) that they'll have "died" long before they actually stopped burning.

Thanks - after reading about how LED and HID conversions don't work so well, I'm not going to go that route.
That is to say, "don't work at all".

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened

Two quick clarifications:

1) I can attest that the difference between the OEM halogen bulbs and the LED DRLs as depicted in the video which I posted is completely accurate. I have a 2016 Accord sitting in my driveway and mine is every bit as yellow. There is no camera white balance issue in the video.

2) forget my mention of the fog lights as it was a bit of a red herring. I'm really hoping to match the low beams to the DRL strip which is always on when the parking brake is not engaged.

In reading more about the Phillips bulbs, I came across the White Vision. They are advertised as a white bulb with +60% brightness. So I think I am going to try those as a happy medium between my performance and styling desires.

Worst case, I'm out $35...

edit: I meant White Vision, not Crystal Vision

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Staff member

Two quick clarifications:

1) I can attest that the difference between the OEM halogen bulbs and the LED DRLs as depicted in the video which I posted is completely accurate. I have a 2016 Accord sitting in my driveway and mine is every bit as yellow. There is no camera white balance issue in the video.
This only shows how much blue is in the LED DRL. Your headlamps, even with long life bulbs, produce white light. There's just so much blue in the *other* white light that it may make the headlamps look yellow.

2) forget my mention of the fog lights as it was a bit of a red herring.
It's hard to forget the mention because there are countless people that drive around with their fog lamps on at all times, thinking it "looks cool". These people similarly want to make their headlamps and their fog lamps match.

In reading more about the Phillips bulbs, I came across the White Vision. They are advertised as a white bulb with +60% brightness. So I think I am going to try those as a happy medium between my performance and styling desires.
You've been informed on what bulbs you should get if you genuinely want the best performance. Higher CCTs lead to worse performance.

Again, these are vital pieces of life safety equipment, just as vital as your seatbelts and brakes and airbags.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened

Some of this "style" business is crazy. Here's an optical illusion for you:
I have Cibie serie 95 Booster Beam auxiliary low beams on my Crown Vic. Turn them to manual ON, as I do for aiming, with nothing else lit, and the H2 halogen bulbs look rather white. Now turn on my Starr HID headlights, which run somewhere around 4,200K according to the supplier, and suddenly the halogen lights look sort of yellow while the headlights look white (and no, they are not blue).
Perception is so very subjective. We fool ourselves all of the time.

Marcturus

Enlightened

They are advertised as a white bulb with +60% brightness. So I think I am going to try those as a happy medium between my performance and styling desires.
Just to illustrate the gamut between performance and styling, here are the numbers taken by Russian Андрей Финашин (https://vk.com/test__lab) using one Asian-style H4 headlamp, one fresh bulb each, and readings from his Hella beamsetter.

(H4)
GE Megalight 12.5 Klux
Osram CoolBlueIntense 12.5 Klux
Narva ContrastPlus 14.4 Klux
Philips Crystal Vision 14.4 Klux
Osram Standard 64193 14.5 Klux
Philips Longlife x4 EcoVision 14.8 Klux
Philips VisionPlus +60% 18.8 Klux
Philips Vision +30% 12342prc1 19.4 Klux
Philips X-tremeVision +130% 20.0 Klux
Osram NightBreakerUnlimited +110% 21.1 Klux

Whatever one might think about the procedures and accuracy in his self-proclaimed "Test Lab" garage, his measurements, within each bulb category, are pretty consistent in showing that the intensity differences among the top performing bulbs are less severe than the "marketing percentage" numbers convey. But potentially losing 50% of intensity merely in order to "match" beam kolorz is serious nonsense.

(H11, different headlamp, of course)
- listed from dimmest to brightest -
14 PHILIPS Crystal Vision 30.0 Klux
13 HELLA STANDARD +30% 30.1 KLux
12 Narva Long Life 31.9 KLux
11 PHILIPS LONG LIFE ECO VISION 33.1 KLux
9 Osram Cool Blue Intense 34.4 Klux
8 Valeo H11 36.6 KLux
7 PHILIPS +30% 37.1 KLux
6 Osram Standard 37.2 KLux
5 Philips Blue Vision Ultra 38.1 KLux
4 OSRAM SILVERSTAR 2.0 +60% 39.3 KLux