-pics- new Inova X5

mc

Newly Enlightened
The new X5 version, I was lucky, and got to take some pictures of this working prototype piece. It was at Countycomm, and the flashlight was only briefly there, to be handed to a GCS person, I think, government contract services guy, or something like that, so it could be documented with photos, and assign a part # for ordering purposes.

Anyway, sorry about the quality of the pictures, and me forgetting to turn the flashlight on, and clean the lint off of it, and wipe it clean…

Check out the pictures of it on their site!

P5300012-0.jpg

P5300002-oc-2.jpg

P5300017-o.jpg

P5300004-0.jpg

P5300022-oc-3.jpg

D

**DONOTDELETE**

THANKS for the pictures -- any guess as to whether the tailcap is retrofittable? Such as simply screwing on/off?

Darell

Flashaholic
I usually don't get too excited about tail caps and/or switches. But that thing is beautiful! I really like the low-profile look. Probably be very difficult to accidentally turn it on... even without Lock Out engaged.

Now, if they had just *regulated* it!

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Now, if they had just *regulated* it!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damned right 'bout that! It's just ONE step from multi-5mm LED flashlight nirvana....

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that`s a great looking light! I`ve held off from acquiring an Inova-X5 so far for some wierd reason (no idea why!), but now I`m just going to have to get one of those!

shocked.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hotfoot:
It's just ONE step from multi-5mm LED flashlight nirvana....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well... maybe two steps. Throw a dimmer in there and we'd have it!

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
THANKS for the pictures -- any guess as to whether the tailcap is retrofittable? Such as simply screwing on/off?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>On the current X5, the only thing that screws is the head, so if you retrofitted it, you would have a nice tailcap, but no LED's. I think it would of kinda defeat the purpose. (but may be a nice conversation piece)
xyxthumbs.gif
TX
grin.gif

ToddM

Enlightened
Very nice, I can see I'm going to be glad I held off on getting a old X5 to wait for the new one.

The only thing I'd like to see done to it is some texture or some type of grip on the main body.

It sure will work nice for using up those old "not quite dead yet" surefire batteries.

Todd

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a feeling that someone is going to try to mod an Arc LS to fit that new Inova tailcap...i could just feel it....a distrubance in the force...

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I waited for the E2e (four months), the Arc-LS (five months) and the X-5 (what, two three months?).
I'm tired of waiting, dam it, I want my lights now.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

This is an interesting product. What niche does it fill? Increased brightness is definitely a plus. A clickie tailcap switch is a nice feature, too. I would buy it based on the higher output alone.

Think about this:
Are the positive terminals of the batteries still facing away from the light emitting diodes (LEDs) in the newer version? If so, remove the switch. Remove the LED assembly from the older version and determine if it can be attached to the newer model. If so, will the "hybrid" now function. If it does, which LED assembly functions? Neither, old assembly, or newer one?

What will become of the battery compartment of the older version? If you place a rubber or closed-cell foam disc at both ends of the tube to avert shorting the lithium cells and attach the new switch, this "hybrid" is now a spare battery holder with room to possibly hold others things.

This speculation is interesting, too. Someone please try this combination and report the finding. I held off from buying the older version when I heard about the new one.

rlhess

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ToddM:

It sure will work nice for using up those old "not quite dead yet" surefire batteries.

Todd
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But don't expect anything close to full output. My preliminary test comparing reduction from new cells to partially used cells was a loss of 13% in a Brinkmann LX and a loss of 33% in the Inova.

Yes, you'll get some light out of it, but it would have been so much better with a current source--perhaps this new one has it.

Sorry to whine about this, but that's why I started the Lithium Myth thread.

Cheers,

Richard

Latest posts