Picture of your GIZMO !

efendi

Newly Enlightened
the beauty just arrived in hamburg (xp-g2)

haiku.jpg

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I was talking to member megatrowned the other day about heat coloring Ti, and he inspired me to take a torch to a McClicky pak. I modeled the colors after the flame I was using to color it, so it is purple-blue near the switch end and that fades to a yellow-gold toward the threads. I think it turned out really nicely!

Only caveat: I learned that flame anodizing Ti creates an insulative oxide layer that will render the flashlight inoperable. :ohgeez: Took some time with a tube of Flitz to polish the threaded edge and the shoulder where the switch tabs contact the body enough to restore conductivity and make the it work with the Malkoff head that belongs on it again. :shakehead:

On the plus side, I now have a McClicky pak with true Lock-Out capability! :rock:

2014-08-17200348_zpsecd4fc62.jpg

2014-08-17200254_zpsbc27ba12.jpg

2014-08-17201826_zps092785c0.jpg

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the torched look! I've played around with some clips and various pieces. I bet you gave yourself one heck of a pep talk before putting the flame to that. Thing is if you don't like how it turns out polish it off and do it again. Nice job love the blue.

nbp

Flashaholic
I had done a fork and a clip prior to this. I hardly felt qualified but I thought, hey what's the worst that could happen? (Turns out the light might not work - that's the worst that could happen, lol).

Actually I found the body tube much easier to work with than the clips. Due to the much thicker metal and greater mass, it heats more slowly and evenly and the colors are easier to control. I tend to overcook thin clips. :grin2:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking the same thing. I have a few Ti items I would have to practice with first. Assuming I don't burn my self first!

Love the torched look! I've played around with some clips and various pieces. I bet you gave yourself one heck of a pep talk before putting the flame to that. Thing is if you don't like how it turns out polish it off and do it again. Nice job love the blue.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
If I had a well trained sheep dog, I would send it to Florida.

eala

He could round up the other 2XAA Haiku and Saphire grazing off to the left that never made the group :whistle: I hope Don doesn't come up with any new light for a while...:eek: