Picture of your GIZMO !

ven

Flashaholic
LvxcM88l.jpg

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Left to right: Sundrop XRU 119V, Haiku 219B, Haiku (AA) 119V, Haiku 119V, Mule 119V.

DSC_5850.jpg

Left: Haiku with custom DTP copper MCPCB (T Pad mod), Nichia 219BT-V1 sw45k R9080, McR17XR reflector, O ring replaced with larger and thicker one to lift the reflector a touch higher.

Right: Haiku with stock board, Nichia 119V, XPG reflector.
DSC_5844.jpg

Looks a bit crusty on the board at this magnification but it actually is very clean to the naked eye.
This combination gives the cleanest beam and tint I've seen come out of a Haiku and while you lose some throw you gain a really nice spread of lumens with an amazingly uniform tint from centre hotspot to edge of spill.
After some playing around with HDS LED swaps I came back to the Haiku and this beam is sure to satisfy the most discriminating tint and CRI snob.

DSC_5841.jpg

Last edited:

Benji_Driscoll

Newly Enlightened
Very new to this whole thing but making baby steps and all that... Ordered mine the other day... yeah I'm excited :D Love the tricked out torches everyone has!

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just finished working on two McGizmos, a Sundrop (with DatiLED XP-L light enginge) and a RPM Haiku Lego (with DatiLED XP-L HI light enginge). Both heat coloured and stonewashed but the Haiku got a Blair´s Death Hot Sauce treamtment :) which gives it the nice bluish patina finish.

haiku.jpg

sundrop.jpg

sundrop2.jpg

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Just finished working on two McGizmos, a Sundrop (with DatiLED XP-L light enginge) and a RPM Haiku Lego (with DatiLED XP-L HI light enginge). Both heat coloured and stonewashed but the Haiku got a Blair´s Death Hot Sauce treamtment :) which gives it the nice bluish patina finish.
Those look great but how durable are the finishes and are they something we can do ourselves at home without getting burned? :D

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
beautifully done Eric!
Thanks Dave :)

I don´´t know what actually is different from anodizing titantium but I think heat colouring, at least to the temperatures I do, appears to more durable than anodizing. I use a torch that provides a 1500 degrees celsius flame (so burning yourself should be easy Kaichu ;) ) and judging from the colour I guess I heat the titanium up to something between 500 and 600 degrees. Stonewashing is done in a 1L widemouth nalgene bottle with sharp stones of diffferent sizes. Takes about half an hour to get results that tumblers need quite a few hours to achive. The hot sauce (Blair´s Original Death) is applied to the titanium surface, than burned with the torch for a few minutes until it is just black. When I put it into cold water to cool it down, the black stuff flakes off and leaves the blueish surface behind. And I guess if that what you see is what stays on after a few minutes of stonewashing it should be durable. Also, heatcolouring and stonewashing can alsway be redone.

Eric

Last edited:

Spyder333

Newly Enlightened
McGizmo 119V HIVE Mule and its friend the Maratac AAA Copper.

Maverick Workshop recently made some lanyard beads out of turbo glow material which is handy for finding your flashlight in the dark!

HCH9Ci9.jpg

0j6WtvP.jpg