Please recomend me a Flashlight and Charger (for Patrolling Guard)

mgs

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I am going to start a patrolling guard job in a park/garden. I needed a flashlight. I just bought a Led Lenser P7 as recommended by my friend. I was so exited to get P7 but sooner found out that is not enough for my needs (I tried in a park). I have one Chinese Aleto 1600Lm flashlight and it still feels better than P7. However I can't use it for my purpose as it is not reliable to use in weather and run time is far low for my needs.

I need a durable and reliable flashlight for my work purposes and who would suggest me better than CPF guys.

I read a lot of posts and come across this draft to help me choose the flashlights...

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
Online is preferred, stores in Mel are more expensive

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
$200-300

3) Format:
Handheld

4) Size:
Small/Medium, Large wont mind, not tiny please

5) Emitter/Light source:
Not sure please suggest

6) Manufacturer:
Not sure, please suggest, though I want something upgradable like Wolfeye Led's are upgradable, something like that is much desirable.

7) What power source do you want to use?
Rechargeable batteries, preferred 18650, I need at least 6 hours runtime every night. I want to keep fully charged 18650s, in case I run out of originals.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
Separate charger is much preferred, secondly build in.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
700+ Lumens

9) Flood vs Throw:
Throw 80%, Flood 20% Use. Thus either Wide/Narrow?Turbohead. (might have fog in the early morning)

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light
80-150 yards

10) Runtime
At least 6 hours on full if not then must replaceable with 18650s

11) Durability/Usage
Very Important-critical

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
Clicky preferred rest I dont mind

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection
High, Low, Tactical strobe are desirable

14)Material/Finish/Coating
I am not sure, but I like material of P7 (aluminum I guess). Please suggest

15) Water resistance
Must IPX4, I need to use in rainy and windy season

16) Storage conditions
House/Car

17) Special Needs/extras:
Nothing special.

Lastly, I have got Duracell (AA), Eneloops(AA,AAA), Ultrafire 18650 batteries and a chinese charger for AA/AAA which I would like to use. I read CPF and most of them go for Pila for 18650, however I am looking for something which could charge all of them (AA/AAA/18650).
I am not sure whether I should buy Pila, Maha, La Crosse or should I get Nitecore I4 which is universal and could charge all my batteries.

Please suggest me and thanks a ton for reading my post and I appreciate your help.

Thanks

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It would help to know in which ways the P7 was "Not enough".

Also, MOST of the Ultrafire 18650 (About anything ending in "-fire") we tend to see are fake cells, and can be dangerous. Somewhere, there may be real ones, but, they never seem to be found (Anytime one is tested or opened, etc, its either a really really bad cell with insanely exaggerated specs, or, some old cell from a lap top or something inside a new wrapper, etc.

So, for example, the P7 is rated at ~ 260 meters of throw, and you say you need ~ 150 yards.

Throw is rated to 0.25 lux, which no one I know can see with at longer ranges...so, its zero surprise when a light's claimed range is found to not work for someone....and, most claimed ranges can be ~ double their useful distance.

Add to that that the P7's lumen output drops by ~ 1/2 in a few minutes, which drops the range proportionally.

Was the P7's beam too small when zoomed and too dim when in flood?

Was it unable to light up what you wanted to see at the ranges you wanted to see it?

And so forth.

Let us know!

:D

Poppy

Flashaholic

<SNIP>

Was it unable to light up what you wanted to see at the ranges you wanted to see it?

And so forth.

Let us know!

Please answer TEEJ's questions, and don't just wait for recommendations before you respond, otherwise you may get suggestions that are ALL OVER THE PLACE.

mgs

Newly Enlightened

Also, MOST of the Ultrafire 18650 (About anything ending in "-fire") we tend to see are fake cells, and can be dangerous. Somewhere, there may be real ones, but, they never seem to be found (Anytime one is tested or opened, etc, its either a really really bad cell with insanely exaggerated specs, or, some old cell from a lap top or something inside a new wrapper, etc.

So, for example, the P7 is rated at ~ 260 meters of throw, and you say you need ~ 150 yards.

Throw is rated to 0.25 lux, which no one I know can see with at longer ranges...so, its zero surprise when a light's claimed range is found to not work for someone....and, most claimed ranges can be ~ double their useful distance.

Add to that that the P7's lumen output drops by ~ 1/2 in a few minutes, which drops the range proportionally.

And so forth.

Let us know!

Hi Teej,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried P7 in a small park, firstly, flood was enough which I need when I speak to someone, either cops or protective services or to assist others or to take a over all picture of damaged property from a distance.

Secondly, P7 is brilliant for small - medium distances. however for long distance it is not good enough for me.
I want to clearly identify the object from a far distance to be on the safe side and call for backup if necessary.

The distances I want to cover is like this small park where I tested out P7.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/sear.../data=!4m3!2m2!3m1!1scanterbury+gardens?hl=en

Though P7 performed wonderful in the dark areas and alleys connected to the garden but whenever a lamp post (yellow light) was there the light beam gets dim,
(especially when I try to identify something from slope to slope and Lamppost is at the middle of the slopes)
Though my another Chinese made light get pass the post and gives me a better results, so there must be other lights that could handle the situation well.

It is important for me to wear a safety vest and keep the light on for several hours continuously so that other patrolling guards and cops can identify my position easily.
Safety is utmost important to me and maintaining a distance from others especially a group trouble making teenagers.
Most of the time they will run away if you have a good strong flashlight and a safe distance.
I seriously do not want to get into any trouble as a person was stabbed a fortnight ago near to that place.

I know I am asking for too much from you guys and I appreciate your time and response.

Thanks

mgs

Newly Enlightened
Please answer TEEJ's questions, and don't just wait for recommendations before you respond, otherwise you may get suggestions that are ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Thanks Poppy, I appreciate your reply and have responded to TEEJ's post.

Cheers!

Poppy

Flashaholic

TEEJ,
It seems that there is a significant difference between the P7 and the P7.2

The P7 is rated at 175 lm and beam distance of 210 m giving a calculated 11025 cd.

The P7.2 is rated at 320 lm and beam distance of 260 m giving a calculated 16900 cd

-----------------------------------------------
Oh... I was going to suggest that MAYBE upgrading the to P7.2 would be good enough, then I noticed that it runs on 4*AAA batteries.
Absolutely, it is time to upgrade to 18650's :)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
OK, so the gardens look to not have lines of sight over ~ 150 meters, but, the known light was inadequate at ~ 17k cd. (Of throw)

At 150 Meters, 17 k cd yields ~ 0.75 lux on the target at that range.

Most people at that kind of range need a MINIMUM of 1 lux to make out anything, and that's if high contrast.

If looking for potential muggers, etc, who might be smart enough to NOT wear reflective safety vests while hiding/laying in wait for victims...and might be in darker/lower contrast clothing, and, to allow your pupils to see past an intermediate light source such as the lamp posts, ...you probably need closer to 15 lux on them to resolve anything.

To GET ~ 15 lux on someone ~ 150 meters away, you'd use a light with ~ 340 k cd.

That's a pretty strong light, and, in K40vn or up territory.

So, look for a light with ~ 340,000 cd or greater, and keep the P7 as the close up light, and use the thrower for the long range part when you need to reach out and touch someone with a beam.

I'd head over to Vinh's sub-forum, and take a gander at"

TK61vn

X60vn

K50vn

TN31vn

K40vn

ANY would work great, but, the K40vn is probably the one that would be available.....but, there's no wrong choice in the bunch...unless you didn't want too large a light, which the X60vn for example might be on the large side for. Each has its own thread.

You could look at them and see what looks about right for you as far as form factor.

mgs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a million guys.
All of the above flashlights looks great and I guess I should go with K40 as you recommended.
But not sure what is "VN" stand for, when I searched it show results for K40, is there any difference between K40 and K40vn?
I really appreciate your help and recommendation.

Cheers!!!

CPFRocks!!!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Thanks a million guys.
All of the above flashlights looks great and I guess I should go with K40 as you recommended.
But not sure what is "VN" stand for, when I searched it show results for K40, is there any difference between K40 and K40vn?
I really appreciate your help and recommendation.

Cheers!!!

CPFRocks!!!

Vn is the suffix added to the stock K 40 when Vinh (who, as mentioned, has a sub forum here) after he modifies it.

The stock K40 is MUCH weaker and less well made.

Vinh upgrades and soups up the guts so it's more durable and robust, and WAAAY more powerful in throw.

He sells the modified version as a finished light...for less than you can get the stock light in some cases.

Amazing deal.