Please remember my wife in prayer

Good ideal Reggie33. I found out earlier that they are going to release her today and I'm going to pick her up after work. She doesn't have to bring home any oxygen. They took her for a walk without oxygen and her oxygen level in her blood didn't drop below 90. I ask her if she's going to stop smoking and she said she'd try. I didn't hear any resolve in the way she said it though.

How long has your wife been in the hospital? Figured she's already well on her way to quitting.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think today made the 8th day. She hasn't had a cigarette since she's been in there. They were giving her patches. I guess she took a vacation from cigarettes, but I don't know how she's going to do once she gets home or around relatives. She needs to resolve to be done with them. I'm supposed to go and pick her up, but my relief is late and I have to train him.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get her some patches or nicotine gum. Get her signed up for smoking cessation classes. Ask the Dr. to give her scripts for these (often required by insurance).

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emphasis via repetition: I have several 12 step meetings at the meeting hall that I operate. Right now, as I am posting this, there is a 12 step meeting in progress, populated by desperate people who are fully aware that if they do not stop and stay stopped, that they will be going to prison or Heaven very soon. They simply acknowledge that they do not have the willpower to simply just stay stopped. They have tried every imaginable remedy. All of the usual things that come to mind are of no avail, or at most, sub-minimal avail. They must get connected to a greater power in order for that to happen. Nobody at first blush wants to take the action that is required for the solution to happen. Desperation forces the most desperate people to simply take the spiritual action. I hope she simply makes a decision and then takes the required spiritual action. Most people just don't want to. Sweeping aside mans' knowledge, material success and self-reliance are things that only people who are forced by desperation to do so, actually do. The effective solution is via a remedy that is not easily imaginable. The effective remedy is not of earthly origin. The sum total of earthly society is pushing her to avoid taking the required spiritual action. The earthy powers fight against anyone who decides to take the Spiritual solution.

See: Romans 7: 15-25

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes xxo, I need to get her some patches because they seem to work. I don't really know how desperate/dedicated she is on staying stopped. I hope she would seek help is she fails whether it's taking classes and/or seeking spiritual help.
Yes Richbuff, I don't think she can conquer this in the flesh. She's got to really want the victory.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A neighbor of mine has a wife who used Chantix to stop smoking. It worked. She said she had crazy dreams for a while but it worked for her.

My brother (and a lot of my coworkers) replaced cigarettes with vaping. At first they all looked like they were on fire and somebody threw water on them as they exhaled massive amounts of sweet smelling steam. Yet over time they take less and less puffs and use less and less nicotine. Many you would not even know vape at all since they take a single puff every couple of hours.

My sister stopped by using nicotine losenges. That was about 15 years ago. My oldest brother set up a budget where he has X $ a day for smoking. A typical day for him was 40-50 cigarettes a day and when he set a budget of $5 a day he was down to 20 a day. Now his budget is $1 a day. A pack lasts him a week now.

There's all kinds of ways to reduce and quit. My biggest hurdle was coffee. I cut out coffee and switched to unsweetened tea and my urge to smoke was greatly reduced. I vaped for a while using a refillable "stick" and that worked. But the key is self discipline.

It's good to know she's coming home. Just remember that quitting smoking is like throwing darts. Success is hitting the double bulls eye. And more times than not it takes a few tries to hit the target. Ask for spiritual help and enjoy the experience.

Best regards

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all for praying. If she has touched a cigarette since she's been home I don't know it. The steroids caused her to put on some quick weight and her legs aren't used to it yet, so walking is a little difficult for her. That is a fine hospital, but for two days she tried to order a grilled ham and cheese sandwich and they just gave her a ham and cheese sandwich the day before yesterday and yesterday they gave her a grilled cheese one. She finally got her grilled ham and cheese though before she left.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thank you all for praying. If she has touched a cigarette since she's been home I don't know it. The steroids caused her to put on some quick weight and her legs aren't used to it yet, so walking is a little difficult for her. That is a fine hospital, but for two days she tried to order a grilled ham and cheese sandwich and they just gave her a ham and cheese sandwich the day before yesterday and yesterday they gave her a grilled cheese one. She finally got her grilled ham and cheese though before she left.
Ah... hospital food.

Once in a hospital cafe` I ordered a "patty melt" with fries.
A patty melt is a grilled tuna fish and cheese sandwich.

When it came, it had potato salad instead, of French Fries, but what the heck.
The funny thing was that it didn't taste fishy, and it wasn't well grilled, it was still a little cool, but it was good. Also... it has some dried cranberries in it. That was odd, but I like cranberries, just unexpected.

I was almost finished when a server called out as she was walking through the dining area: "patty melt and fries... patty melt and fries!"
LOL... I was eating a chicken salad sandwich!

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I. Truly hope she takes this chance that the good lord gave her. I hate smoking so much . it took my mother from me.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
A neighbor of mine has a wife who used Chantix to stop smoking. It worked. She said she had crazy dreams for a while but it worked for her.

My brother (and a lot of my coworkers) replaced cigarettes with vaping. At first they all looked like they were on fire and somebody threw water on them as they exhaled massive amounts of sweet smelling steam. Yet over time they take less and less puffs and use less and less nicotine. Many you would not even know vape at all since they take a single puff every couple of hours.

My sister stopped by using nicotine losenges. That was about 15 years ago. My oldest brother set up a budget where he has X $ a day for smoking. A typical day for him was 40-50 cigarettes a day and when he set a budget of $5 a day he was down to 20 a day. Now his budget is $1 a day. A pack lasts him a week now.

There's all kinds of ways to reduce and quit. My biggest hurdle was coffee. I cut out coffee and switched to unsweetened tea and my urge to smoke was greatly reduced. I vaped for a while using a refillable "stick" and that worked. But the key is self discipline.

It's good to know she's coming home. Just remember that quitting smoking is like throwing darts. Success is hitting the double bulls eye. And more times than not it takes a few tries to hit the target. Ask for spiritual help and enjoy the experience.

Best regards

I didn't remember reading yours bykfixer. I saw it while I was reading the thread to Melvinia.
Thank you for the advice and I want to thank all of you for your prayers, advice, the nice things all of you said and for caring.
She is walking way better and I guess she was bloated or something because she seems a little thinner now or I'm just getting used to looking at her. I've been giving her potassium and magnesium pills for her cramping (legs and feet) and some vitamin C and a good multi-vitamin and making her drink more water. She bought some stick candy and came into the living room with it in her mouth like a cigarette. I think she thought it was funny to see my eyes widen. I was fixing to take it away from her before I realized it was only candy.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emphasis via repetition: I have several 12 step meetings at the meeting hall that I operate. Right now, as I am posting this, there is a 12 step meeting in progress, populated by desperate people who are fully aware that if they do not stop and stay stopped, that they will be going to prison or Heaven very soon. They simply acknowledge that they do not have the willpower to simply just stay stopped. They have tried every imaginable remedy. All of the usual things that come to mind are of no avail, or at most, sub-minimal avail. They must get connected to a greater power in order for that to happen. Nobody at first blush wants to take the action that is required for the solution to happen. Desperation forces the most desperate people to simply take the spiritual action. I hope she simply makes a decision and then takes the required spiritual action. Most people just don't want to. Sweeping aside mans' knowledge, material success and self-reliance are things that only people who are forced by desperation to do so, actually do. The effective solution is via a remedy that is not easily imaginable. The effective remedy is not of earthly origin. The sum total of earthly society is pushing her to avoid taking the required spiritual action. The earthy powers fight against anyone who decides to take the Spiritual solution.

See: Romans 7: 15-25

I agree richbuff. Some people have the strong desire to quit, but the habit is so deeply rooted that it takes the one that made us to deliver us.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I. Truly hope she takes this chance that the good lord gave her. I hate smoking so much . it took my mother from me.

I also hope she takes advantage this opportunity the Lord gave her raggie33.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah... hospital food.

Once in a hospital cafe` I ordered a "patty melt" with fries.
A patty melt is a grilled tuna fish and cheese sandwich.

When it came, it had potato salad instead, of French Fries, but what the heck.
The funny thing was that it didn't taste fishy, and it wasn't well grilled, it was still a little cool, but it was good. Also... it has some dried cranberries in it. That was odd, but I like cranberries, just unexpected.

I was almost finished when a server called out as she was walking through the dining area: "patty melt and fries... patty melt and fries!"
LOL... I was eating a chicken salad sandwich!

A long time ago hospital food was known to be awful and I had a not so good experience with it in the mid 70s. From the late 80s on up though it has improved a lot, but they seem to mess up orders when they give you a choice. I liked to pickadeli style (cafeteria style) food they served down at DCH in Tuscaloosa- real healthy food, but that was in 1996, so I don't know how it is now.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sir, make sure the multivitamin you are giving her does not already have a full dose of the other vitamins/minerals you are giving her for cramps. Especially potassium and magnesium!

Last edited:

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont believe in God so therefore, I do not pray however, I do wish her a speedy recovery. Hope she stops smoking but perhaps by this point, why stop? At least that's what I tell my mom whose been a smoker since her early teens, going into 70 years, why stop, not like its going to give her time back if she's lived her live.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont believe in God so therefore, I do not pray however, I do wish her a speedy recovery. Hope she stops smoking but perhaps by this point, why stop? At least that's what I tell my mom whose been a smoker since her early teens, going into 70 years, why stop, not like its going to give her time back if she's lived her live.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thanks for wishing her a speedy recovery- I count that as a blessing. I have received many a blessing in this thread and I sure enough want to thank all of you for them. :)