• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Pocket clip & new option

stoli67

Enlightened
I was a little shocked by the spark that was produced when I undid the first screw so yes some tension!

The new clip is on my high CRI Mule which now sits on top of a mini tripod .... Works really well... Thanks Don.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I was a little shocked by the spark that was produced when I undid the first screw
The same thing happens when a Ti item is glass bead blasted - a shower of pure white sparks is produced when the beads impact the surface. Tent campers who use Ti stakes have mentioned sparking when the stake is struck with a steel hammer.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
A simple "field test" to determine if a metal is titanium is to hit it with a power sander or grinder and see if you get white sparks. I assume that the oxidation is so quick that you get the high color temp spark. Like precisionworks stated, bead blasting gives you a good spark show! I recall being contacted by a bike rider years back wanting to know if I could make him some titanium plates for the bottom of his motorcycle boots. I guess guys liked to drag their boots and shoot off sparks.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool and something I could use for sure.
I doubt I could remove my clip on my Haiku, so , really the only feasible way for me to buy one, is if it came attached to a light.
Need to rebuild my PP account and consider a Warm Haiku.

nbp

Flashaholic
I cracked the clip screws off my III-T with just a regular L shaped hex wrench without much problem. :shrug:

fyrstormer

Banned
Sparks are normal. Titanium powder spontaneously combusts when exposed to air, and it's that incredibly strong oxidation state that makes it possible for titanium to contain liquids volatile enough to burn concrete. (google "chlorine trifluoride" if you're curious.) However, it is certainly startling the first few times, and the titanium bits flying out from loosening screws is evidence of the galling that ends up getting titanium screws stuck forever. The Thorp driver is an absolute must; if you're lucky, the screws will tolerate a normal 1/16" Allen wrench 3 times before getting damaged.

When you reinstall the screws, apply Permatex anti-seize to the threads and the underside of the head. Slather it on, you can wash off the excess afterwards.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...ubricants/Permatex_Anti-Seize_Lubricant_a.htm

It comes in small tubes as well as the big tub pictured, and the small tubes cost <$5 online. You'll never have a problem removing the screws again, and no, they won't self-loosen when the clip flexes.

Last edited:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don (or anyone who cares to share),

Is there any chance I can get some measurements of the clip, specifically:

- the overall length

- the dimensions required to determine if it would fit my non-mcgizmo light (radius of curvature of the attachment point/plate, distance between center points of the mount holes, radius of the mount holes themselves etc)

I'd love to add one of these to my my light I am heavily customizing but don't wan't to fork out for one only to find the fit is poor! I would provide you with dimensions of my light but it's off getting cerakoted at the moment and I'm not sure when I'll get it back :-(

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

fyrstormer

Banned
The clip is 58-59mm long. The point at which the clip contacts the flashlight tube is 50-51mm forward from the back edge of the clip. The back edge of the clip is 2mm behind the centerpoints of the screw holes. The screw holes are approximately 7.5mm center-to-center. The clip is designed for a 1"-diameter attachment point, but pressure from the attachment screws will bend the clip to fit other sizes.

Last edited:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks fyrstormer - looks like it will fit my light perfectly though i'll still have to wait for it to get back to determine the distance between the screw holes before putting my cash down.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The McG pocket clip is the best invention since sliced bread :)

If you can fit it to your light you'll love the way it works. Not bad looking either.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The McG pocket clip is the best invention since sliced bread :)

If you can fit it to your light you'll love the way it works. Not bad looking either.

I probably shouldn't mention then that if I do get one I intend on cerakoting* it :duck:

*Assuming cerakoting won't crack if bent, not that I'd use the clip much anyway.

nbp

Flashaholic
I probably shouldn't mention then that if I do get one I intend on cerakoting* it :duck:

*Assuming cerakoting won't crack if bent, not that I'd use the clip much anyway.

Cerakote is cool to look at, but if this light is going to be a user and you want the best look over time, I'd go with a different coating as it does seem to wear faster than HA.

Ideally, carry bare Ti and then revel in its resistance to abrasion. :naughty:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Ideally, carry bare Ti and then revel in its resistance to abrasion.
+1

Two other treatments that may (or may not) have appeal are stone washing & flame coloring. If you have a rock tumbler available the stone wash is something to experiment with - check with a local lapidary club if you need to use a tumbler. Flame coloring is another experimental treatment ... keep trying it & rubbing it off with a mild abrasive pad until you have the desired look.

Bare Ti, even without the stone wash or heat color, might look really good against CeraKote.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without hijacking this thread I'll have a look at stone washing and flame coloring. The light this will go on is safety orange with black highlights (bezel, O-rings and switch boot) so a black clip would look fantastic. That's whats making it hard for me to leave it not colored. I just wish the coater would hurry up - he's had the host for 3 weeks now and it's only an 18650 based light!!!!

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without hijacking this thread I'll have a look at stone washing and flame coloring. The light this will go on is safety orange with black highlights (bezel, O-rings and switch boot) so a black clip would look fantastic. That's whats making it hard for me to leave it not colored. I just wish the coater would hurry up - he's had the host for 3 weeks now and it's only an 18650 based light!!!!

Find or have produced an AlTiN coated clip. :thumbsup:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Find or have produced an AlTiN coated clip.
No problem there. My AlTiN service charges $150 for one clip or for one dozen clips :(

I'll have a look at stone washing and flame coloring.
The most common media for stone washing titanium is ceramic although other media will work at a slower rate. Half a kilo of 6x6mm triangles is under AUD $10 from this supplier: http://www.aussiesapphire.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89_194_114&
products_id=1654

nbp

Flashaholic
No problem there. My AlTiN service charges $150 for one clip or for one dozen clips :(

Sounds like someone needs to organize a group AlTiN party :poke:

...I would find a way to buy another Haiku and have it AlTiN coated if someone could do it for a reasonable price (i.e. a bunch of us share the cost of the service)