pocket weapon light

Rich1833

Newly Enlightened
First I would like to thank everyone for making this forum one of knowledge. I have learned more about lights in the last fees days then I ever had know. So with much reading on here I was able to narrow down my list for a light that will fit me and my ways.

1st the most important to me is Strength. I want something that will last. I want a flashlight that will take recoil from a .556 round. So I beloved it will need to be a potted light.
2nd is size. I want something in the 4 inch- 5 1/2 inch mark. I plan to use this as a weapon mounted light when the need calls for it but when not it will be in my front pocket.
3rd is power. I still do not understand as much as I would like to about lumens, candle and lux but at very least I would like a low 0-50 lumens and a high 200 + lumens. Enough to see the threats ahead of me.
4th is battery. I am willing to use AA / 1 or 2 CR123A if the light can handle 18650 its just that much better.
5th is UTI. Rear clicky w/ momentary is my only requirements.
6th is price. What's your life worth?

Some of the lights I've been looking at are..
Elzetta Alpha
Elzetta Bravo
Malkoff MDC HA TAC
Malkoff MD2
Surefire E1D defender

So what do all you flashlight guru's think would fit me best?

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the lights you've listed should tolerate the mild recoil of a 5.56 AR.

The Alpha has a very floody beam pattern, which works very well indoors. On the flip side, this makes it a poor choice for outdoor usage if range could exceed 50 yards. The high/low tailcap works very well for switching modes when the light is mounted. I use mine for pocket use.

The Bravo, with standard M60 (not flood optic) has a very tight hotspot with relatively dim spill, which works very well outdoors. On the flip side, this makes it a less than ideal choice for indoor usage. A Bravo with M61 LED assembly has a beam profile that is more useful for a general purpose weapon. The high/low tailcap works very well for switching modes when the light is mounted. I use mine occasionally in an Elzetta mount.

The Malkoff MDC HA TAC has a couple design details that makes it a poor weapon light. The body shape isn't really compatible with the best weapon light mounts with which it would be paired. Secondly, it isn't recommended for the tailcap switch to be the method for mode switching. A better choice, if size weight is important) would be a Malkoff E2/Scout head on a Surefire 2 cell E-Series body. It's one mode of operation is great for mounted use, but not so great for pocket carry. I ran one on a Viking Tactics L4 body on a 6.8 AR while waiting for the Surefire KE2-A head to be released, and I was very happy with it.

The Malkoff MD2 with M61 LED assembly is a great weapon light, second only to the M61-equipped Bravo. Loosening the head to activate low mode isn't as intuitive as loosening the Bravo's tailcap, but it is accomplished easily enough. I've got an MD2 on one weapon, and an MD3 with Hound Dog on another.

The Surefire E1D's user interface has the same shortcoming as the MDC TAC. I often activate the wrong output level with my E2D LED lights.

If you can afford it, the Bravo will not disappoint. It also gives the option to use a high output AVS head, which has a very useful beam pattern for mounted usage, indoors and outside.

dss_777

Enlightened
Elzetta Bravo is the only one on that list to consider- a rifle mounted light needs much more than 200 lumens, more in the 500+ range, IMO. It's not just throw, but spill that matters too. The only down side is it's not 18650 compatible, IIRC. For that, the Malkoff MD2 is better, justnot as bright. Or go with the MD3 and M90b dropin or MD3 Hound Dog would be preferred. Just not as pocketable...

The EAG Surefire 2- or 3-CR123 cell Fury is getting a lot of great feedback.

How do you plan to mount it?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
A weapon light should not have multiple modes that are accessed by rapid tailcap presses. Out of all of those, the only ones I would suggest for weapons mounted use are the Elzettas. I'm not 100% sure, but perhaps you can get one that has high and low modes that are accessed by twisting the head or tailcap.

Rich1833

Newly Enlightened
I was leaning towards the bravo but wanted other options before I made a purchase. After reading grizzmans post I think it just pushed me to pull the trigger. The one I was looking at is the B143.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only negative aspect of the AVS head is size. I can fit it into the front pocket of loose fitting cargo shorts, but not in most of my blue jeans.

I sometimes run a bored ZFL-M60 body with AVS head from two IMR 18350s for 900 lumens of output or an 18650 for 500 lumens and long runtime. Oveready sells new bored bodies. Stock bodies work with both 16650 and 17670 protected cells.

Last edited:

Rich1833

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, I placed my order last night around 6pm and it was in the mail with a tracking number at 7am today. I ordered the B143 with the speed clip and spot lens. As far as size goes my normal edc flashlight bit the dust a few days ago and I have been carrying this cheap ultrafire WF-502b. They are almost the same size.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool. Elzetta seems to run a very efficient operation, with shipping occurring very quickly.

If you end up not liking the clip, there are quite a few other options. I use the Prometheus Surefire clips on my Elzettas. I actually have had my ZFL-M60 with AVS in my front pocket all day...and basically forgot it was there.

BloodCleanSoul

Enlightened
Good call!! I strongly suggest the Elzetta Bravo with Prometheus clip. I EDC mine in my front left pocket. I have the high/low tail option and absolutely love it. It's a great solid light. Yes a bit on the larger side but non the less able to be carried.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Best of luck with your purchase. When you receive the light & are able to test it out with your desired application(s), please post back here in this thread with your evaluation. This is a somewhat-popular topic and others may benefit from your hands-on experience & impressions.

[...] 2nd is size. I want something in the 4 inch- 5 1/2 inch mark. I plan to use this as a weapon mounted light when the need calls for it but when not it will be in my front pocket.
3rd is power. I still do not understand as much as I would like to about lumens, candle and lux but at very least I would like a low 0-50 lumens and a high 200 + lumens. Enough to see the threats ahead of me.
(emphasis added)

I would only add that the requirements of (2) and (3) are somewhat in conflict IMO.
A light that is 'throwy' enough to satisfy a weapon-mounted application is often not floody enough to satisfy a handheld application.

A little over a year ago I did a write-up on the handheld aspect of this topic, here is another shameless plug for that thread. :eek:
Low light / Night fire training class

Best regards,

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened
OP, you may already have a Bravo on the way, but what about a Surefire EB1 or EB2. Either one of those give you instant access to high which is needed for a weapon light with the added benefit of low which is nice in EDC situations.

Rich1833

Newly Enlightened
How do you plan to mount it?

Well right now my duty rifle has an older Surefire 660 with a Larue offset mount. My duty pistol runs a Steamlight TRL1. Im a firm believer in, two is one and one is none. So I will pocket carry my new light and when and if one of my weapon light dies I will have a backup. So to answer your question I don't. I would rather have a weapons mounted light over a handheld light but if the time comes I will just hold it instill I get to the rear and see why the light isn't working.

Kestrel=I do not understand how requirements 2 and 3 conflict please explain. If its about the size vs lumens I choice those because thats what is working for me now. I do not know the lumens or lux of my rifle light but I think its around 100 or so and it works for me sure it would be nice if it was brighter sometimes but I worry about bounce back on me. I seen some photos of the Elzetta with the flood and hope this is the key. If it is all that great I might try to put it on my rifle and carry the old surefire.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
As a backup weapon line carried in the pocket I think the SF EB# series with a Thyrm Switchback work well. The activation is similar to a weapon mounted light and the ability to manipulate the firearm is also maintained.

Rich1833

Newly Enlightened
If you end up not liking the clip, there are quite a few other options. I use the Prometheus Surefire clips on my Elzettas.

I really dislike the Elzetta belt clip. I see the Prometheus titanium Dark Sucks pocket clip. What other clips fit?

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any clip for the Surefire 6P should work.

HDS's decorative clip should also fit, but I haven't tried it on mine yet. I can do that tomorrow.

Malkoff's clip should also work, but I haven't tried it on an Elzetta yet. These aren't overly attractive but functional. I ground the lanyard loops off of most of mine.

If you can find one, the Moddoolar Surefire 6P clip will also work.

Rich1833

Newly Enlightened
I got my light last night but didn't get to play with it to much. I fit in my pocket just fine. I bought both flood and spot lens but I seem to like both. Guess I will have to see when it gets dark outside. I took a few pic as I opened it to share. One note that really impressed my was I ordered a custom flashlight April 28th @ 5:34 and I got a email saying it was ready to be shipped April 29th @ 7am with a tracking number. It was picked up @ 10:06am by the mail personal. IMO that is fast service.

How it showed up

Opening the box

What was inside the box

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like both optics. A Charlie with Flood is my nightstand pistol light, and a Bravo with Spot does typical EDC duties.

Rich1833

Newly Enlightened
Steamtight DS LED HP VS Elzetta Bravo

***I'm not a great photographer but I still like photos***

I used my phone set to 2.0 aperture, no flash, 4.8 mm focal length, and auto white balance for all pics below. I had a space of about 70 yards to do this test. I used the Elzetta Bravo AVS head with spot lens = 650 lumens, 9,050 candela, 190 meter beam distance and a Steamlight DS LED HP = 350 lumens, 56,000 candela, 473 meter beam distance.

Elzetta 70 yards to fence

Steamlight 70 yards to fence

Elzetta up into a tree

Streamlight up into a tree

I tried to hold both light the same way for both sets of shots. The camera plays a little trick and doesn't pickup what is seen from the human eye. From my view I could see the fence with the elzetta but not a big hotspot like with the streamlight. On the tree shot the camera doesn't really show much of the spill from the streetlight. Both of these light make a lot more light then my cell phone picked up. My biggest lesson from this is more lumens does not mean you see further.

Last edited:

Rich1833

Newly Enlightened
Re: Steamtight DS LED HP VS Elzetta Bravo

I was able to get a few more pics but this time between spot and flood. The 1st set is at 4ft from the wall. What I was trying to see(because I read it) is the hotspot up close and how it could be too bright. 2nd set is in a closed of 53'x8' metal box.

4ft away SPOT

4ft away Flood

50ft away SPOT

50ft away Flood