Polarion Night Reaper (CSWL)

Wurkkos

Parker VH

Enlightened
The regular PH50 was already pushing its thermal limits, that's why they stopped making it. The CSWL doesn't really have that issue because of the extra mass around the head. Also, it has some very sophisticated thermal management circuitry and I've actually seen the light step down 25% in output after 10-15 minutes of running. From what I can gather the electronics in the CSWL won't fit in the PH body nor would you want to try.

The size weights are so close that the CSWL isn't really handicapped as compared to the PH body. If and effective handle can be made to fit the CSWL, it will be just as usable as the PH. I'm working on a handle as well as Vee73 so hopefully we will come up with one good design between us, if not two. Mine will be aluminum, Vee73's will be polycarbonate.

Paul,
Did you ever make an aluminum handle for your Night Reaper?

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
We just did a demo for a European Military Customer. They have elected to go with our Night Reaper.

NR-Batt-M134-1.JPG

NR-8.jpg

NR-4.jpeg

NR.jpeg

BVH

Flashaholic
Supporter
My new (to me) 600 Watt Short Arc sits atop an M-134 - or, well it used to anyway. Its' high flying Huey days are long over but I hope to breath new life into it soon. Ken, is that an M-134 but by the company you name?

Phil Ament

Enlightened
It's actually a Dillion Aero

Just to be completely accurate Ken and Patriot, it is actually a "Dillon Aero", not Dillion. :xyxgun:

100th POST!!! :party: :twothumbs :goodjob: :paypal: :oops:
I HAVE NOW OFFICIALLY ACHIEVED FLASHAHOLICLISMNESS!!!

It has only taken me four long years to finally accomplish it yet now I can't even see it because of the stupid "Illustrious Supporter" thing. I just new that I shouldn't have paid for a subscription!!!

Phil Ament

Enlightened
My new (to me) 600 Watt Short Arc sits atop an M-134 - or, well it used to anyway. Its' high flying Huey days are long over but I hope to breath new life into it soon. Ken, is that an M-134 but by the company you name?

Yes BVH, it is a M134. I think that you may just find that it is the very latest model from Dillon Aero and it's called the M134D Gatling Gun (see here).

Also if you are at all interested I highly recommend that you check out their two videos of it here.

Don't show it to your new light though as it may just make it feel a bit homesick. :xyxgun: :barf:

Though if I was a light I too would most probably want to straddle it, well at least until it got a bit too warm that is.

P.S. Where I am from every man and his dog has at least one. Only joking!

Last edited:

Phil Ament

Enlightened
full

Finally got the handle. I think this is the best lamp ever.
Now this is really easy to carry, because the weight is distributed just the right place.
I'm speechless.:D

Edit: I still have to at some point coated aluminum.

Very nice job there vee73. Speaking of which, is somebody ever going to make a slightly more aesthetically pleasing one for the Abyss, for all of us non scuba types. One that isn't so sharp that it nearly cuts all of your fingers off would be kinda handy too, unlike the standard one! Surely one of the many highly talented custom fabricators that are here at CPF would find it a job that they could very easily handle! :shakehead

Parker VH

Enlightened
Very nice job there vee73. Speaking of which, is somebody ever going to make a slightly more aesthetically pleasing one for the Abyss, for all of us non scuba types. One that isn't so sharp that it nearly cuts all of your fingers off would be kinda handy too, unlike the standard one! Surely one of the many highly talented custom fabricators that are here at CPF would find it a job that they could very easily handle! :shakehead
I was wondering if Patriot ever made a handle for his as he mentioned having an aluminum one made.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I was wondering if Patriot ever made a handle for his as he mentioned having an aluminum one made.

No, because I passed along the light to someone who really needed it. :)

I took Ken's spelling as a type-o since I know that he knows who Dillon is. I've known Mike Dillon since I was a kid picking up reloading components from the back door of his original 800 square foot shop then riding them home on my bicycle. He used to stay late himself if my dad called in an order for me to pick up. Later on in life Dillon Precision sponsored my shooting and I also serviced his and his wife's Mercedes vehicles. Funny to look back and consider how successful he has become.

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened

I own the Abyss, and though I do carry it mostly with the shoulder strap (always on dry land, btw), I'm usually hanging on to the handle just in case and also to direct the beam better. I've never noticed anything sharp about it, nor do I think it's uncomfortable. Just my humble opinion.

Phil Ament

Enlightened
I own the Abyss, and though I do carry it mostly with the shoulder strap (always on dry land, btw), I'm usually hanging on to the handle just in case and also to direct the beam better. I've never noticed anything sharp about it, nor do I think it's uncomfortable. Just my humble opinion.

Hmmmm, that's just a little strange. On my Abyss where the groove is on the handle that runs the full length along each side, it is bordering on being razor sharp, especially on the front and rear corners. So sharp in fact I could cut paper on it and it would very easily slice through skin with absolutely no trouble at all, and which is something that I have unfortunately already done. I also know two other people with an Abyss and theirs are exactly the same too, and as a matter of fact it is so bad that they have both had to smooth out the edges with a file for fear of also cutting themselves too, and one day soon I will have to do the very same thing to mine. Bit disappointing really, especially for such a relatively expensive light!

P.S. Not to be argumentative or anything, but I never actually said that it was uncomfortable, that is of course as long as it is not slicing through skin.

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, Phil, I took "could someone make it more aesthetically pleasing" to mean more comfortable.

I just rechecked mine and rubbed my hand and fingers over and over along the ridges you speak of. While mine cannot cut skin, I also ran my Amex bill up and down it. When I did it enough times, or caught it just right, it did put a tiny slice in the paper.

I do see what you mean by a fine edge, but yours and others must be a lot finer than mine as mine could not cut skin no matter how it's held. And I'm sure glad about that.

Hmmmm, that's just a little strange. On my Abyss where the groove is on the handle that runs the full length along each side, it is bordering on being razor sharp, especially on the front and rear corners. So sharp in fact I could cut paper on it and it would very easily slice through skin with absolutely no trouble at all, and which is something that I have unfortunately already done. I also know two other people with an Abyss and theirs are exactly the same too, and as a matter of fact it is so bad that they have both had to smooth out the edges with a file for fear of also cutting themselves too, and one day soon I will have to do the very same thing to mine. Bit disappointing really, especially for such a relatively expensive light!

P.S. Not to be argumentative or anything, but I never actually said that it was uncomfortable, that is of course as long as it is not slicing through skin.

Phil Ament

Enlightened
Sorry, Phil, I took "could someone make it more aesthetically pleasing" to mean more comfortable.

I just rechecked mine and rubbed my hand and fingers over and over along the ridges you speak of. While mine cannot cut skin, I also ran my Amex bill up and down it. When I did it enough times, or caught it just right, it did put a tiny slice in the paper.

I do see what you mean by a fine edge, but yours and others must be a lot finer than mine as mine could not cut skin no matter how it's held. And I'm sure glad about that.

Absolutely no problems whatsoever MDJAK, no apologies necessary! When I had said that I wouldn't mind one that was a little more aesthetically pleasing (like a PH40/50 one), it's just that when it's compared to the body I feel that the handle is more than just a little fugly, if you know what I mean. Whilst I do realise that it may be almost perfect for a scuba diver (well maybe not the slice and dice aspect of it), I am not one of these and so for this reason I would much rather have a handle that is easier on the eye, or more accurately, one that is just as aesthetically pleasing as the rest of the light is.

P.S. I also just wanted you to know that I am not exaggerating in any way about the sharpness of it. So much so that whenever I go to pick it up it is always the very first thing that comes to mind, and I have to make a conscious effort to very positively and firmly grab the handle so as to ensure that it does not slide through my hand/fingers at all!

Last edited:

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
All. Just so you know we have not been asleep at the switch.

NightReaper-Ver3-OD-1.jpg

NightReaper-Ver3-OD-2.jpg

You can get more details of the new direction here: http://nightreaper.com/pdfs/NR-Ver3.pdf

Want to keep everything on a SUPER POSITIVE note.
I am never satisfied with the Status Quo. If and when I determine that current process is moving too slowly or directly agains the stated goal, then I make the changes necessary to reach that goal and move forward.

I am standing up full US Production of the Night Reaper CSWL which is my design and patents pending. The new company will be Night Reaper Systems LLC and we will be teaming with some significant companies to create excellent synergy.

US-Based manufacturing gives us complete control of design, manufacturing and distribution process Front to Back, Inside and Out. The result: A significantly improved System. We own the process and there will be no more "Mother may I's"

With respect to hardware, instead of extruded body components, each part is CNC machined. The fit and finish is like nothing I have handled in the past, and I have some experience with illumination tools.

The heart of the system is a Digitally Regulated AC 50W (at full power) Ballast as opposed to the previous DC ballast. Our electrical engineer has told me this greatly increases lamp life. This Night Reaper can accept external power from 10-30V without the need for any inline voltage reduction hardware. In other words, direct hookup to many military vehicles with 24V NATO outlets. It is programmable for power, switching, and thermal threshold settings prior to embedding into the Ballast housing. This gives end-users some useful options, including the ability to strobe. If a searchlight comes back to us with problems, we can download it's digital runtime history for analysis. It has been designed to create a low EMI signature which is important in today's battlefield conditions.

New battery will feature 20% more capacity and a more ruggedized case. It is fully backwards compatible with existing Polarion searchlights.

Ver 3.1 is already in the works and will feature some MASTER ON/OFF & Toggle ON/OFF switch changes which will make the searchlight waterproof as opposed it's current water-resistant rating.

We have had some "issues' lately with unscrupulous parties trying to hijack our webstore, misuse our name, folks stating to customers that they are representing our company (Polarion-USA) and/or we are no longer in business. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have stated it a thousand times: "It's is much easier to steal than innovate." If you ever have any questions on that front, just drop us a line and we can discuss the facts.

Can't wait to put a couple of these in some CPF'rs hands. As soon as you "fondle" it and fire it off you will appreciate what is under the hood!

Standby for some cool things coming out of Night Reaper Systems!

jellydonut

Enlightened
I had been made to understand that the reason for my Polarion's instant-strike/restrike capability without the minute-long warmup required by other HIDs was due to the specially selected lamp assembly and electronics.

With the change to off-the-shelf lamp assemblies, does the new Night Reaper still have this capability? I understand it might not be as critical for a mounted gun application.

Last edited: