Polarion Night Reaper (CSWL)

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
The Night Reaper is a Instant Strike/Re-Strike HID Searchlight.

I think it is exceptionally critical that you have this capability for a light to be used in a combat application. You need to locate, identify and act accordingly with all possible haste! That last thing an operator would want is latency.

Regardless of what you may have been told, the Lamp Assembly is not proprietary in any of the Polarion searchlights, other that it has had it's protective shield removed, the plug connector cut to facilitate a 3-wire solder as opposed to a connector to fit into the space allotted. We re-engineered the existing ballast housing and body components so that the end-user does not have to obtain anything but an off-the-shelf Osram DS1.

With respect to the electronics. Yes, one needs to have a ballast that is capable of instantly striking/re-striking, which is a matter of understanding what is needed to accomplish this tasking.

Last edited:

Parker VH

Enlightened
Ken,
That is beautiful!! I love the OD Green option. Just when you think it can't get any better. Very nice work.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Bob,

Thank you. It is quite satisfying to take it from concept to reality. We looked at EVERY part and questioned everything. Made quite a few changes to "tighten" everything up and make the fit and function what I have always wanted. Last thing to do on this model is replace the Toggle Switches with a different set of switches. We had to stay with the Toggles on this run because we had already won a contract and we could not drift to far from what was accepted.

We also have some digital safeguards built in that were not possible with the original ballast. Now we can inject code as required, to meet customer needs or address unforeseen applications.

For instance, we had a customer connect 24V of power to the 5-Pin Connector and then connect a switch separately. The customer then Opened the switch (kept it open) and started rapidly cycling full power. The ballast could not handle that. It was designed to be toggled with the switch not power. So the searchlight was switching to the internal battery and then to external power when it was reapplied.

Digital Fix: Code the Ballast so that the external power is interrupted with the power ON, immediately go to the internal battery and stay there for X amount of time. Do not go back to the external power until it is stabilized (not rapidly cycling ON/OFF). We shut off that unforeseen situation through the USB port.

This could not have happened with our cabling, but the customer is scheduled to be using Night Reaper's on their tanks so their were developing their own power/switching cables and they are boss!

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
I have some really awesome images of the new Night Reaper in action on some weapons platforms. As soon as we get permission to share them, we will decimate.

In the meantime, static will have to do....

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5112.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

jfl

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations, Ken - the new Night Reaper is SO impressive with it's great new features.

Can you tell us if the digitally regulated AC ballast and increased capacity battery are exclusive to the Night Reaper, or will they also find their way into the other products in the Polarion line?

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
jfL: Exclusive to the Night Reaper manufactured under Night Reaper Systems LLC.
Bulbmogul: If you would like pricing information, please contact me directly at [email protected]

jfl

Newly Enlightened
I suppose the next logical question would be if Night Reaper Systems LLC are looking to branch out and make their own handhelds as well. ;)

Maybe they can make a Night Reaper Jr., compact in size for more mainstream usage with a 45watt AC ballast or a 45 / 30 watt with smooth reflector...

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Night Reaper Ver 3.0 with MK2 Mount / Dual Throw Lever Base
Very Small Footprint for 5,200 Lumen Unit.

NightReaper-MK2-Mount.jpg

nightreaper-MK2-side2.jpg

nightreaper-MK2-side3.jpg

Last edited:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im a new night reaper owner as well. i just won one for a great price. i know i could never afford one of these new. im ok with that as it has very little runtime.
im looking forward to putting it up against my abyss dual s. should be here in about a week or two.

btw, it is marked on the handle polarion night reaper. the one in the beginning of this thread reads polarion cswl. whats the difference between the two?

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
That MK19 & Cantilever mount looks like an awesome rig Ken!

hron61
Im a new night reaper owner as well. i just won one for a great price. i know i could never afford one of these new. im ok with that as it has very little runtime.

I'm happy for you and I know you'll giggle every time you turn it on. I actually really miss mine. Sometimes you trade or let things go without realizing how much you'll miss them. Even just the pride of ownership in having a NightReaper is a great feeling! I hope that you'll share your thoughts, beamshots & video with us when it arrives.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
More Night Reaper Ver 3.0 Goodness

Testing in a Maritime Environment:
NightReaper-Maritime1.jpg

NightReaper-Maritime2.jpg

Night Reaper affixed to .50 cal with a Brugger & Thomet Mount
Brugger&Thomet-NightReaper.jpg