Police Officer looking for Strion replacement

Bobpuvel

Enlightened
I have the Fenix TK-11 and love it... not quite sure how demanding the needs of an officer are but it is almost more than what I need if I'm just around the yard and such. Definitely a great light and worth looking into.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Fenix TK-11 and love it... not quite sure how demanding the needs of an officer are but it is almost more than what I need if I'm just around the yard and such. Definitely a great light and worth looking into.

1+ on the TK11--one of my all-time favorite lights. The Pelican 7060 is also a fantastic light, designed for LEOs. I did a comparison on these two fine tools here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/207998

Both very nice lights! The Peli is rechargeable while the TK11 can take 2 cr123s.

n9zez

Newly Enlightened

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Alright, please listen to this suggestion - you will not regret it!

I now carry a:

Surefire C2 (any 6P-type will do though)
OpticsHQ TLS reverse tail-cap
OpticsHQ Q5, 5-level drop-in
Surefire Red filter attached (awesome!!!)

This combination gives a great advantage over the others mentioned. The tail-cap functions like a normal momentary, full-blast of 225 lumens (which lasts 2.5 hours with primaries and about 1.5-2 hours on 900mah rechargeables).

Aside from being a Surefire with it's "Built-like-a-tank" reputation, it is made in the USA and the tail-cap and body/head are all HAIII coated for wear resistance (nice).

The tail-cap has a side button on it that's glow-in-the-dark and it functions the five-step drop-in. You get 5, 20, 90, 140, 225 lumens in that order with a full momentary blast of 225 available at any level by pressing the tail-cap's momentary button. If you press both buttons, you get a VERY, VERY effective strobe that hurts!

This set-up is the best I've seen and can be as simple or in-depth as you would need on duty. It will be my duty light when I join the force, and has been great already for my military ops...

The guys from OpticsHQ are great too! They'll give you a CPF discount of 25% off the light and filter...

My $.02...
RC

P.S. The best part about it is the beam is SPECTACULAR! It has plenty of throw, but the sidespill is as bright as most other light's medium. They truly did a great job, and I talked with Michael yesterday from OpticsHQ and the guys there are great! Don't be turned off by the 5 step light. It is so useful, and like I said you can have the full blast at any moment. Then to turn it off, you just tap the back button at any level and it shuts off. The first three levels are spaced really well to provide a very useful range of light, and the batteries last forever!

Last edited:

BigD64

Enlightened
I have a T11 too but I still like the 6P M60 Malkoff better. Carrying 2 lights with the M60F or an L4 as a second light is perfect for room clearing.

crazeeman13

Newly Enlightened
Hi I finally made my choice. I bought a SF 6p led from Brightflashlights. The price was great. I figured I will try it out and if I need it brighter I can buy a brighter drop-in later down the line. Thanks guys!

lightinsky

Enlightened
Great choice the 6P Led. However keep in mind it will only put out about 80 initial lumens and then regulate for 3 hours at 60+ lumens. If it isn't bright enough for you after you get it. Try a DX R2 drop in for under $13 and you will jump from 80 lumens to 200 lumens. I have a G2 with a DX 1447 cree P4 drop in and it is bright. However I recently got a Solarforce Q5 drop in from ebay that puts out a claimed 225 lumens at 6 volts, but I think actual lumens are more like 150-180 lumens which is way brighter than the standard P60L that comes in a 6P Led. Let us know how things work out. Enjoy lighting up the night as we all do here as flashaholics.

EvilPaul2112

Enlightened
I recently replaced my 6P + drop-in for a TK11 and couldnt be happier. LOTS of throw for a small light and built very well. I carry it bezel down in a blade-tech holster that I slightly modified.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You know what I like reverting back to from time to time?
Scorpion bored out to accept an 18650 cell with a strion bulb. Decent runtime for a tiny incan. Rechargable. Cheap bulbs. Really white light. Tough package. OK for any size budget.

I am an LED junky but an good little incan can be really nice sometimes.

righty

Newly Enlightened
Not LEO, but I carry Malkoff P60 Flood, and my TK11 everywhere. I use the Malkoff mostly.

I would think that the serious throw of the TK11 would be very good on the job for you.

Righty

PS If you could handle a 2C maglite on your belt, you could have 700+ lumens! I have a Malkoff MagC dropin and I run it at 8 volts. I love it so much that I ordered another Malkoff dropin so I have two lights. The quickest reload is a backup!

I wear it in the hammer loop of my Carhart jeans all night long, on shift.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know some of the above lights might be brighter than the strion, but can they throw like the strion?

mdocod

Flashaholic
I honestly don't think there is a light on the market right now that can beat the EagleTac T10C2 as a primary duty light for an LEO, CSI, etc for those interested in using CR123 primaries. The T10L for rechargeable users is also on the top of my recommendation list in this size class. I have it on my wish-list for christmas :) Maybe my wife will be willing to pick one up for me :) .... anyways ....

The high matches or beats any competing light in this class (single emitter, 2xCR123 size).

The low has great efficiency. It will actually be about as bright as your strion, but last for something like 10 hours on 2xCR123. You'll probably find that the low mode provides suitable illumination for 90% of tasks, cranking it up on high will be on tap for those hairy situations.

The regulation is very solid.

The price point is hard to argue with, given the alternatives, which are either in the same ballpark, or far more expensive, depending on which route you go.

The method of switching modes is separate from the activation switch (bezel twist for mode change), which is very important for a light that is intended to be used in any sort of tactical engagement. And, since both modes are technically bright by flashlight standards, if you are "surprised" by something, you can turn it on via tailcap and it doesn't really matter what mode it is set to at the time, either mode is sufficient for most things.... You DON'T want a flashlight with any really low modes as a primary duty light, as accidentally activating on a low mode when you really NEED a high mode is not something you want happening when the fecal matter comes into contact with the rotational blade.

Eric