• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Poll/Discussion. Which do you prefer, the C-pack or the PD???

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Now that Don's new line has been out for a couple days, there should be a discussion on what the census is on the new C-pack, or clickie tail design in Dons new line of lights compared with the almost world famous "piston Drive". The mCree line of lights are starting to be released by Don McLeish AKA McGizmo.

They consist of 4 lights.
  1. mCree XR19-C
  2. mCree XR27-C
  3. mCree XR19-PD
  4. mCree XR27-PD

For the few of us who actually own first run lights with the C-pack, or clickie, we need to discuss the pros and cons of the C-pack vs. the PD to make peoples future buying desicions easier. If someone is gonna drop $400+ on a light, lets help them make the right decision! Of course there is always the CPF buy both. If you havent figured it out, you only need to buy 2 of these lights to have all four. You could buy the mCree XR19-C, and the mCree XR27-PD and switch heads at will, they are interchangable.

Dons last run of lights, consisted of the PD, or Piston Drive.

From Bernies FAQ describing the Piston: The piston is an electrically conductive sleeve that houses the battery riding on a contact spring. The environmental seal is achieved by an o-ring riding at the lower part of the piston making contact with the inner wall of the body. The piston is exposed at the rear end of the light and serves as momentary switch.

Dons new run of mCrees introduced the McClicky switch in the tail.

From Bernies FAQ again describing the C-pack: The C-pack however, incorporates a new rear-end seal. It is also thinner than the PD-pack because of the missing piston.It uses a user-accessible and -replaceable McClicky switch module for single stage clicky-action with momentary on. No reverse clicky.

I am going to attempt to list Pros and Cons of each. By no means are these pros and cons etched in stone. They are just observations, and some are borrowed from Bernie! Others are hypothesized by history... :thinking:

(Possible) Pros of the new C-pack:
  • C-pack serves as a pressure relief in case of a battery problem.( from the FAQ)
  • Easily user accessible and easy to clean. (From the Faq)
  • Waterproof, to this point! (From the FAQ)
  • Longer than the PD, better for big hands?
  • Possibly better grip than the PD due to more agressive rings in the body.
  • Able to latch on from the tail, with no twisting of the head. (Assuming the head is screwed down.)
  • Instant High beam availible.
  • Easier to "Lock out" than the PD.
  • Others?

(Possible) Cons of the C-pack:
  • No Tritium Locator.
  • Only one level of light availible unlike the piston where botrh levels are availible.
  • Clicky failure? (Due to the history of clicky failure [SF] , I havent heard of a McClicky failing. Your milage may vary.)
  • Rubber boot a weak point? Susceptible to cuts, chemicals, etc.?
  • Maybe hard to engage for people with arthritis?
  • Have to "reach" further into the tail in order to work the clicky.
  • More difficult to pocket due to longer length. (YMMV)
  • Others?

(Possible) Pros of the PD (Piston Drive):
  • Tritium Locator.
  • Both levels of light availble via the piston.
  • More durable than the rubber boot.
  • More "Coolness" Factor, (purley opinion there.)
  • 2 stages from the tail. (opposed to single stage of the C-pack.)
  • Better for small handed people?
  • waterproof.
  • Easier to pocket due to shorter length. (YMMV)
  • Stronger clip, shorter than the C-pack clip, so it holds on tighter. (At least in my lights.)
  • Piston is easier to access due to its flushness with the end of the light.
  • Others?

(Possible) Cons of the PD:
  • No pressure relief if battery has a problem?
  • Harder to clean.
  • Momentary only, must twist head to latch on.
  • Difficult to hold momentary high for more than 15 seconds. (YMMV)
  • Harder to use for guys with big hands?
  • Others?

When it comes down to it both are great interfaces. I have a feeling since the C-pack is a breath of fresh air, people may say they like it better. Only time will tell which you will like better. Its like picking between a Corvette and a Corvette. :sold:

Comments?

Last edited:

photorob

Enlightened
I think the Pd has a very sleek and visually appealing look, but I find myself not using it for momentary operation to much. Don had mentioned a while back that he was trying to get away from the Pd design due to the battery explosion issue. Mcgizmo lights are made like a brick. That is one of the main reasons why I am so partial to them. Although if there were ever a battery issue all that solid construction would just turn my PD into a pipe bomb in my pocket.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
photorob said:
Don had mentioned a while back that he was trying to get away from the Pd design due to the battery explosion issue.

I thought this was only a issue in multiple celled lights where the voltage of the 2 cells were not uniform.....

Has a single celled light ever blown up? I've never heard of such thing...

Illum

Flashaholic
PoliceScannerMan said:
Has a single celled light ever blown up? I've never heard of such thing...

not yet....anyway:ohgeez:

i dunno the accuracy of this poll, one will have to have or know both models for opinions.

you'll find my vote leaning towards the PD:ohgeez:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
PSM - you forgot to mention a Pro for the Clicky - the smell of the rubber! (sicko!)

I have both, and I prefer one over the other, but I'm keeping my mouth zipPD as to which one it is. ;)

john

stevevh

Enlightened
Owned 2 PD's and now the Ti-Xr19 and I prefer the C-pack. Granted the PD is a lot stronger but I prefer the interface of the C-pack. I also like the longer slimmer lines of the Xr19 over the shorter PD. Having said all this I will probably still go with the XR27 PD when it comes out. I love LEGO!! Speaking of which....Ti XR27.... Don....Update???:grin2:

Steve

PS I do miss the tritium vial though! :(

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am used to the PD.
I feel like I have to "reach" further into the tail in order to work the clicky.
I feel like I use the 2 levels less with the clicky light.
I almost never use the twisty mode with the clicky light.
The PD's twisty action combined with the piston drive is about as perfect as they get.
Or I am just used to it and won't notice in a couple of months of usage.
Now that I have a PD modded with a Cree emitter I am so very close to having a new light in my EDC rotation.
I am still a PD man.
Yaesumofo

InFlux

Enlightened
Too soon to tell!!! (for all of the reasons listed above).

I jumped on board for the very first offering of the PD, have EDC'd one or another (original U bin, Ti PD, or my Chrome Nitro- which I later sold :ohgeez: ) every day since the original offering about a year and a half ago. I've also read every single post regarding them- many numerous times. I'm a huge fan!

But since my Ti 19-C arrived, I haven't carried my original PD at all! :huh: I used to carry it exclusively, and only used the Ti PD for going out or special occasions- but it t hasn't left the house either- except maybe as a Leggo.

Of course- only because I'm testing the new configuration.

For me, the clicky pack seems more intuitive for overhand use (and 'cigar grip'). The PD is more comfortable in underhand use (or momentary mode).

I trust my PD's to be waterproof and provide fail safe switching (with proper O-Ring maintenance). The clicky pack will definitely need more time to build this trust.

Anyway, I'm still getting to know the 19-C. Right now, I prefer the 19-C for actual use / ergonomics, but prefer the PD for carry and mechanical simplicity.

I reserve the right to change my mind. :)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
IMHO the PD isn't harder to clean at all. Both packs are easily serviced by the unexperienced user like me.

I find the C-pack has an ergonomical advantage because of the added length and grip, but scores negative points becasue it is less easy pocketable.

IMHO the user interface is a very subjective thing, I am leaning more towards the PD, but for carry-reasons (size) mostly. Otherwise, I like both.
I think once the XR27 hits the street I will use the C-pack with this one as it doesn't fit in my pocket anyway.

bernie

Fringe

Enlightened
What burnie said. He took the words right out of my mouth. The C-Pak will ride on the 27L when the time comes and I will be, probably, running the PD with the new Cree A19 head. I love a light with no rubber to corrode or tear. The piston is so mechanical and sexy. Just wish I could score one sans the tritium for the real clean look! Bernie, you lucky dog you!

Macaw

Enlightened
I own a Aleph 19XR-E with clickie and two PDs. I want to keep things simple and the
rugged elegance of the PD is the ultimate AFAIC. I'm not the least bit worried about a cell venting in the PD. I use primaries and the relatively low power drain with the 525mA engine will not overtax the cells IMO.

Buffalohump

Enlightened
I'm waiting on the new lights in HAIII with great anticipation. I tried the PD and found it difficult to manipulate. I reckon the new version will be killer. Bring it on! :rock:

PhantomZ

Enlightened
i voted for the PD, though i've never used a Mcgizmo clickie before, because i like how the PD functions, like how i prefer my L2 over my friends L4.

ianb

Enlightened
I have only had a Mclux III PD for a month or 2, but it feels so natural, its my first real EDC because of its usefulness. I like being able to get to high straight from it being 'locked-out'. I am a PD convert, most of the rest of my lights have been clicky and they are fine, but so far the PD wins.

Thats why I now have to try and wait and then successfully catch one of the few XR-27 PD's! :D

Ian :)

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had to pick today, I'd probably vote for the C-pack, but it's a really close call. Since I haven't heard of a single-cell problem, I'm not biased to the C-pack from a safety standpoint, though it's a nice feature. If the PD's grooves were a little deeper, I might lean towards it.

I'm going to need more time with my Ti PD and XR19-C before I develop a real preference. Heck, I may never have one!

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I don't have a PD so I didn't take the poll but I have a XR19-C and I like having a clickie. That was one of the main selling points for me....I like clickies. Eventually I will get a PD to do a comparison but for now the clickie works for me. I do have to say however that the clickie is pretty hard to engage.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
PD.

Here's the thing. When I know I'm going to need a bright, constant level flashlight - for night walks and such - I really do prefer a clickie. It's a whole lot easier to just click a light on and have it stay on. (Case in point: my SF e2e, which I absolutely love. I only take it when I need a bright light, and it's the easiest thing in the world to use.)

However, for an EDC, where I'll often need different levels of light depending on the situation (low when I'm in the car and want to check for something I dropped under the seat without blinding myself, or high when I hear a noise outside the car and want to illuminate it 20 feet away), the PD wins hands-down. The beauty of the PD is that both levels are available instantly through the same button...and this functionality makes it infinitely more useful in my day-to-day life. I took a very long time to warm up to the PD (almost sold my first one the same week I got it), but I've really come to appreciate how functional Don's PD design is.

Disclaimer: I don't have a C-pack, so I can't compare them directly. But I *do* have a Fenix L1T w/CR123 body that works the same way (click for on, twist the bezel to toggle between low/high). I just find that for an EDC, I really like to be able to operate my lights one-handed. The click/twist setup of the L1T really does force you to use 2 hands if you want to change levels - and slows down the speed at which you can change the light to "hi" if you need an immediate burst of light. Simply put, Don's design on the PD is perfect. (For me, at least.) =)