' Pope warns of "demographic winter," urges action to boost birth rates '

turbodog

Flashaholic
...Cheap internet and a wonderful postal service don't mean a whole lot to a person who hasn't eaten in three days and doesn't know where their next meal will come from.

You _did_ see where I noted the decline in poverty? Right?

And you're out of the loop if you don't know that mobile phones are decreasing poverty in poor countries.

And, complex or not, it's quantifiable, either directly or indirectly.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

Infant mortality dropping*. Maternal mortality dropping*. Poverty dropping*. Crime dropping*. These are local, state, nationally, and worldwide trends.

*Red states excluded.

Well the thousands and thousands of people that have been moving into my "red" state for years now apparently haven't got the memo yet.

I wish you'd tell them. I liked it a lot better when it was less crowded here.

Damn yankees!!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I hope no more stupid people breed.(i include my self in this demographic) but man o man we have enough of us lol..

Honestly, the planet would be better off if the human race decreased in numbers, then eventually went extinct. We should have been guardians of the planet. Instead, we're destroyers of it.

Why not put your action where your mouth is and start with you. ;-)

The planet will do just fine with or without us. And the Pope is right. We need good decision makers to have more children. Plus actual experts don't believe we'll conquer death in a generation. The most quoted "expert" making this silly claim is computer scientist Ray Kurzweil. Computer science is his expertise, not biology or neuroscience.

Last edited:

Toulouse42

Enlightened
There's a biological imperative in every animal to procreate and spread its genes. Some people talk about the human race becoming extinct as if that's a good thing. Well, not this mother's son. I have children and grandchildren and I hope to live long enough to have great grandchildren. Did you never read science fiction or watch Star Trek? Ideas created and expressed by many mainstream scientists and authors are that we are still children in an evolutionary sense. The hope is that we will grow up as a species and I for one chose hope over defeatism. The human race often does the right thing but only after it has tried every other possibility. We don't have a very good racial memory for its mistakes but I'm confident we will get there.