Possibility for portable battery-powered Ceramic Metal Halide fixture

Dr. Mario

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
I still have the Cyclops Thor Colossus Halogen spotlight for six years, and it originally have the 35 Watts automotive metal halide headlight kit installed in place of the original 130 Watts Halogen bulb, which some of you already knew - I decided to modify the spotlight once again to install the G8.5 HID bulb socket for the General Electric 39 Watts ceramic metal halide bulb I was curious if it works with the automotive digital inverter ballast (it works just fine, apparently - the ballast outputs squarewave AC output which is what the bulb wanted). Nice and BRIGHT. Had to wing the socket installation, as I decided not to mount the socket onto the reflector, which makes it hard to deal with the high voltage cable (which I stole off an automotive metal halide bulb), and ensure it's snug.

So, if you wanted to do it, just be sure it's compatible in term of wattage for both bulb and ballast (35 Watts automotive HID ballasts sometimes put out 39 Watts or more so I picked 39 Watts Ceramic Metal Halide bulb to work with the ballast already installed in the spotlight, which the bulb seems to be happy with), and the ballast also MUST output AC power, not DC - metal halide bulbs in general hates DC power which impact their lifespan. Preferably squarewave AC for most ceramic metal halide bulbs. And lastly I recommend to use the bulb in enclosed fixture in case the bulb decides to grenade.

TLDR; If you have been wondering if 35 to 39 Watts Ceramic Metal Halide bulb could function with the automotive inverter ballast, there you go - it works, but be sure it's compatible with each other in terms of wattage and power requirements.

Attachments

• spotlight_1.jpg
    spotlight_1.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 23
  • spotlight_2.jpg
    spotlight_2.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 23
  • spotlight_3.jpg
    spotlight_3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 22
Dr. Mario

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
If you mean older CMH bulbs, yes - hot restrike capabilities was hamstrung by the active antenna electrode in newer bulbs (the strip that looks like it's holding the bottom of arc tube - it's meant to generate UV light to kickstart it, it was actually blunting the ignition voltage down somehow so it was not able to hot restrike for some reason.)

So for newer bulbs, hot restrike is out but if you wait enough for the ceramic arc tube to be dark orangish-red hot or cherry red, you may be able to hot restrike it. Otherwise it just sits there flashing intense UV light that lights up the UV killer compounds in the Quartz envelope.

Dr. Mario

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
On the separate note, you have 20 kilovolts ignition voltage to kick start the older new stock CMH bulbs whose Krypton have decayed away. It would start it right up no problem.