Possible TigerLight bulb/reflector problem? w/ Pics

Inverse Square

Newly Enlightened
Fellow TigerLight owners I need your eyes. Please look at my TigerLight beam shot and tell me if the beam looks like yours. Thanks in advance...
Here: web page

TigerLight:
Tigerlight.JPG

Scorpion for comparo:
Scorpion.JPG

Inverse Square

Newly Enlightened
The shots are from around 10 feet in a dark room. Hotspots are not to scale due to cruddy editing software. TigerLight is full charge and the Scorpion is on used batteries.

Inverse Square

Newly Enlightened
NOTE: I edited the sorce of the pics for those who had trouble.

So, the beam is supposed to be a bit odd in shape? I wasn't sure. The brightness is great and I like just about everything else with the light.
I wonder if TigerLight is working on "dimpled" reflector?

Thanks!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the tl uses a smooth reflector and the us uses a half and half, i think.

the tigerlight spot is smoother and larger up close, the tl wins at distance. i've seen reviews with give and take on both sides.

a big plus is i can replace the lens on the tl with a ucl from flashlightlens.
grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Inverse Square:
.....So, the beam is supposed to be a bit odd in shape?.....Thanks!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Inverse,

Your beam is perfectly normal. "White wall" tests will often reveal imperfections that have little or no relevance in real life use.

The beam from a textured Tigerlite reflector would be smoother but not necessarily brighter than the current one. There would also be the possibility of a shorter throw. This may seem to be contradicted by the textured SureFire TurboHeads, but since no one has seen, or at least claimed to have seen the potential throw of a smooth Surefire, the question remains moot.

Enjoy.

Brightnorm

larry

Newly Enlightened
I S

which lens are you using, the upgrade with ar & ag coating or the original. before my upgrade it looked like yours. now I have rings. I have a new lamp assy. on order with the hope it will have a perfect beam. even as it is its a great light.

Larry

Inverse Square

Newly Enlightened
Larry:
My lens is the factory polycarb (plastic?) lens. Dan at Tactical Warehouse (great guy!) had mine shipped direct from TigerLight. I assume it is the new lamp assembly. I will probably order the UCL after Christmas.
Brightnorm:
The artifacts I assumed were due to the smooth reflector. I was more concerned with the shape. It seems to be, other than the hotspot, less than round!
Thanks everyone else!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
on a wall imperfections stand out as as brightnorm said. however, we don't use our lights to look at walls! when you use it for its intended purpose you won't notice. the spot really opens up at distance and throws alot of light, everywhere.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish my beam looked that good. I don't have a way to post it here, but you ought to see the "bat-wing" centerspot. WriteRight helps smooth it out, but it's still there. Anyone with the batwing lamp have the ability to post it here? TX

Inverse Square

Newly Enlightened
tkl,

You are right about the walls! It's just that this light is so bright you can't but help notice the artifacts. They're burned into the retina!
I am not picking on the light, in fact I love it. The TigerLight is great and I recommend it. I was just wondering if I had a defective lamp assembly, the old assembly, the newer imperfect assembly or the new improved assembly. Whew...

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, i got my "8 direct from the tl factory and it looks like your beamshot. i had an old reflector in a "11 model and when i fired up this new "8 i was very happy.

i just got back from using mine and this sucker is bright. outside you don't notice any of the slight imperfections. the great thing is tl is always working and improving their lights and have said here all improvements will be "drop in" so you don't have to buy another light.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
txwest -- by "batwing" do you mean that you might be seeing the shadows of the electrodes holding the filament in the lamp?

My beam looks nothing like the solid, fat white circle of Inverse Square's pic's, but maybe that's just because of the slim exposure lattitude of the camera. My beam essentially shows all the elements of the bulb, meaning I get a pair of dark shadows projected on either side and the beam itself is nowhere near as smooth as a Surefire beam. It's not bad, just not smooth. It does have a nice super-bright spot in the very center too.

Latest posts