• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

post stories of the durability fo your McG lights here!

carrot

Flashaholic
I cannot speak to durability yet, as I had one with a faulty piston o-ring that leaked when exposed to water, but McGizmo took care of it right away. What I can say is that the PD-S is a well-thought out light with the perfect output/runtime settings in a wonderfully pocketable package. And I would recommend it to anybody with the cash at hand looking for a great EDC.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that 02Scuba might be semi-retarded. You guys need to take it easy on him.

-Goatee

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

Originally, the PD design was based on a EPDM #016 O-ring and I was using silicone grease. There were stiction issues, not as bad as with nyogel but still..

The design hasn't changed but I did start using silicone O-rings and switched to the smaller #015 O-ring. Some testing showed this to be viable but such testing was not comprehensive of all lights and with piston/ sleeve sets that would represent the broadest difference in tolerance in regards to the O-ring seal. Just recently there have been some cases reported of leakage through the piston seal such as mentioned here.

I would anticipate that using a #016 O-ring would take care of this issue for those experiencing it. I would recommend using a #016 if you plan to subject the light to possible dunkings.

Fringe

Enlightened
No stories of my light going through anything crazier than the wash, but I must state that they are the best damn lights EVER.

reptiles

Enlightened
I was on an assignment with a film crew a few months ago, documenting rattlesnakes in hibernation. Their fancy fiber optic thingie blew out and we needed light for our underground video. I quickly wrapped some tape around my Ti XR19-C and reluctantly sent it 10 feet down a rocky enclosure on the end of a plumbers "snake tool." We salvaged the assignment and my light is no worse for wear (I did have to use acetone to get the duct tape residue off) and the light was cleaned up with automotive cleaner wax.

If you're ever in a similiar situation, here is an important tip: Tape the light to the SIDE of the probe; with the distal tip of the probe extending a couple inches beyond the light.

My worse fear was not scratching it, but losing it deep underground.

By the way, the video editor said the footage shot with my light looked brighter, but the color temperature was "cold" but he warmed it up in post-production, so everyone was happy.

The video crew really, really liked the light.

Regards,

Mark

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Well OK, my Ti PD-S traveled with me all the way to St. Lucia on my honeymoon. I also brought a Milky Seouled HDS.

I was walking down the beach of the Sandals Grande St. Lucian with my new wife. It was dark, after midnight, and we were on the boundaries of the property. Some of the beach chair pairs had little cabana you could pput up over the head of your chairs to protect you from the sun, they were about 4' x 3'. When we approached the end of the property we turned around and started walking back toward the main area. The beach and Sandals property from what I could tell was a ghost town, and very dark on the beach.

When we were about 7 feet from the first cabana covered chair a Man poked his head out of it really fast. Courtney screamed, I was startled myself. I already had my Ti PD-S in my hand, the light wasnt on, b/c we were enjoying the dark night walking. I would say within 0.5 of a second I had that guys face lit up with all the lumens the SSC emitter could pump at 525mA. The St. Lucian's face just cringed at the light, squinting as tight as he could.

When I saw he was just one of the security gaurds protecting us, I eased off of the piston. :laughing:

I said sorry to him and we went on our way.

BTW: I went through the TSA 4 times, US customs twice, no one said a word about my Ti PD-S.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
mossyoak said:
glad to hear that you had fun on the honeymoon.
Thanks MO, I know its not a story of durability.

Perhaps I should video my Ti PD being runover by my lawnmower.... :thinking:

Nah, I dont wanna mees up my mower blades! :rock:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
PoliceScannerMan said:
Perhaps I should video my Ti PD being runover by my lawnmower.... :thinking:

You drive a Hummer.:ironic: A guy with REAL round ones, living in TITLETOWN USA for gosh sakes, could come up with something involving that little environmental-loving go-cart of yours...:rolleyes:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
mossyoak said:
i just dont get it. i guess that they are to pretty to use like they were mean't to be. all the stories are sort of comfy "i spill't my morning cup of earl grey on it" type stories.
What do you expect MO, people to pay $400+ for a light and try to ruin it? I guess I could have mentioned I also had the Ti PD-S Clipped to my pocket while I snorkled on the coral reefs, it really helped me look into the dark nooks and crannies. Personally, I'm not worried about my Ti McGizmo lights, whatever the situation, I dive in light first. I know the light will be alright. What I'm trying to say is I let the durability tests find me, I dont go looking for them.
EricMack said:
You drive a Hummer.:ironic: A guy with REAL round ones, living in TITLETOWN USA for gosh sakes, could come up with something involving that little environmental-loving go-cart of yours...:rolleyes:
No way, I'm not runnin over any lights with my deuce! :laughing:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
reptiles said:
I was on an assignment with a film crew a few months ago, documenting rattlesnakes in hibernation. Their fancy fiber optic thingie blew out and we needed light for our underground video. I quickly wrapped some tape around my Ti XR19-C and reluctantly sent it 10 feet down a rocky enclosure on the end of a plumbers "snake tool." We salvaged the assignment and my light is no worse for wear (I did have to use acetone to get the duct tape residue off) and the light was cleaned up with automotive cleaner wax.

If you're ever in a similiar situation, here is an important tip: Tape the light to the SIDE of the probe; with the distal tip of the probe extending a couple inches beyond the light.

My worse fear was not scratching it, but losing it deep underground.

By the way, the video editor said the footage shot with my light looked brighter, but the color temperature was "cold" but he warmed it up in post-production, so everyone was happy.

The video crew really, really liked the light.

Regards,

Mark

That is an excellent story! Ballsy too if you were risking getting it stuck in the ground with a rattlesnake.

I don't have any stories where it has been abused or come through hell and came back but I also don't have any stories where a McGizmo light has ever failed me when I have been hiking, biking, camping etc.

Regarding the TSA, I frequently fly between Tampa and Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and the TSA screeners in Miami are constantly asking what my Ti or Aluminum PD is... I ask them what they think it is... it's a detonator.

Just kidding about my smart ^$$ remarks, but they do ask and never stop me from carrying the light on with me or the spare battery.

-Goatee