Post your camera equipment/setup!

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Anyone know of a good place to sell some high end brand new profoto flash equiment? I bought all this stuff and it just sets..Arghhh

LEDPunisher

Newly Enlightened
Hrm. I've got a 35mm Minolta X700 with auto advance motor attachment, and a small kit of lenses from supermacro to telephoto. I have a Kodak Z981, and a Kodak C613 with a broken LCD.

Nothing too sophisticated, just allowing me enough control over my range of shots. I hate that the Z981 eats up batteries like mad, though, so I rigged a power adapter from a 5.2V PSP charger.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Keep it light..
ib22dvUjTVT3IM.JPG

Last edited:

NeilP

Enlightened
Canon F1N
Canon 5D MkIII
Olympus ZX-2
Panasonic DMC FZ-50

Canon FD LensesFD too many to list.

EOS lenses
Canon 15mm f2.8 USM
Canon 50mm F1.4
Canon35-135 f4 5.6
Canon 20-35
Canon L 24-105 f4 IS
Canon L 24-70 f2.8
Canon L 70-200 f2.8 IS USM II
Canon 300mm f2.8 L IS II USM
[h=1]L sereis x2 teleconvertor[/h]Sigma 28-200

Flash guns
Canon 600 EX-RT
Canon Speedlite 200E
Panasonic DMW-FL500
Metz 45-CL4
Metz AF 45-1

Tripods
Benbo Mk1
Benbo Trekker
Velbon Travel trekker

3 other unknown small compact tripods

So many filters I have lost count.

geoturtle

Newly Enlightened
Nikon D40
Nikon N90S
Nikkormat FT3

Minolta Himatic7s (rangefinder) with 45mm f/1.8.
Kodak No 1A Pocket Kodak (inoperable, antique 160 format)

Lenses:
Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8D
Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D
Nikkor AI-S 105mm f/4 micro
Nikkor AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF VR DX (kit)
Nikkor S Auto 50mm f/1.4
Vivitar 28mm f/2.5
Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8

Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

Manfrotto 055-XPROB Tripod Legs
Manfrotto 498-RC2 Ball Head

A few color filters for B&W film (red, orange, green, blue), CPL, NDs

n3eg

Newly Enlightened
Kodak S-1 micro four thirds
Olympus E-PL5 micro four thirds
Collection of Kodak bridge and point and shoots

Oly 14-42mm + Sony 0.6x wide adapter
Oly 40-150mm
Oly 75-300mm
Kodak 12-45mm (when it gets back from warranty service)
50mm f/1.8 Canon FD adapted
135mm f/2.8 Vemar adapted
500 mm f/8 PK mount scope lens adapted
Fotga macro extension tubes

A pile of flashes that I rarely use

A brand X tripod that I only use for video

And a Motorola Droid Razr M that takes crappy washed out pictures, unless it's controlling the Kodak S-1 via wifi.

SemiMan

Banned
The best adage I have ever heard is most photographers would take far better shots if they:

1) Sold half (or more) of their equipment.

2) Invested that money in courses from good photographers.

Unlike a flashlight where the equipment is really everything, isn't showing off your photography equipment sort of like a "mine is bigger than yours" exercise ..... without really showing the goods? Granted, it is almost impossible to replace a macro, or a long zoom when you can get close for framing, but I would gladly give up a $2,000 70-200 stabilized F2.8 (unless shooting sports), for an cheap 18-200 super-zoom if it meant the difference between being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and being in the right place, at the right time, with just the right lighting. All the equipment in the world does not replace composition .... best done by experience, knowledge, research, and perhaps most of all, the patience and perseverance to be in the right place at the right time.

The best picture is often the one you take .... so all the recent postings should have had their cell phones in there. Good composition/lighting on a cell phone is going to win out over bad on an SLR every day, no matter how much resolution or dynamic range there is.

angerdan

Enlightened
The best adage I have ever heard is most photographers would take far better shots if they:
1) Sold half (or more) of their equipment.
2) Invested that money in courses from good photographers.

Unlike a flashlight where the equipment is really everything, isn't showing off your photography equipment sort of like a "mine is bigger than yours" exercise ..... without really showing the goods?
All the equipment in the world does not replace composition .... best done by experience, knowledge, research, and perhaps most of all, the patience and perseverance to be in the right place at the right time.

So true..!
Better participate on this thread:
Post your Photos - Part 2 - Page 5

dmanuel

Newly Enlightened
Nikon D7000 and Nikon V1, Fuji X100 and X100s in the past.

Now I am an Olympus man after borrowing a friends E-M5.

Body:
E-M5
E-M5 Mk. II

Lenses:
Rokinon 7.5mm Fisheye 3.5
M. Zuiko 12-40mm 2.8
M. Zuiko 40-150mm 2.8
M. Zuiko 60mm Macro 2.8

On order:
M. Zuiko 8mm Fisheye 1.8
M. Zuiko 7-14mm 2.8

Accessories:
M. Zuiko Teleconverter 1.4x
Olympus Flash Ring
Gitzo Ser. 1 Traveller
Manfrotto 468MG Hydrostatic Ball
Lee Filters Seven5 set

Last edited:

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened
2 x Canon 700d bodies
Standard three kit lenses
Sigma 17-70
Sigma 105 Macro
Sigma 150-500
Sigma 2x Teleconverter
Manfrotto 190 Xpro4 + Xpro 3 way
Yongnuo 568 EXii x 2
Yongnuo 622 triggers x 2
Yongnuo 0906 LED x 2
Lowepro Protactic 450AW

Some light stands and 3x3 mtr (adjustable) backdrop,and other miscellaneous stuff.

Currently studying a Certificate IV Design,Digital Photography.

dannbarbery

Newly Enlightened
Amazing set up you all have here! I'm soon planning to go lomography. I find lomo shots more dramatic; I just need the right camera set up and currently I'm searching on it.

Michael Laing

Newly Enlightened
Camera setup is different for different kinds of photography. I have pretty much included most of the big stuff with a few comments added to say what I think of the product

Work

Nikon D800 (Great sensor, niggly camera annoying autofocus)
Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 vr2
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D (never bothered to upgrade)
Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 Nocton (wonderful lens)
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D (should really upgrade but can never decide between the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G, or Carl Ziess (I love the ziess even though it isn't practical).
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro
Tiffin 8 stop variable ND filter (really good)
Marumi DHG Super Circular P.L.D
San disk and Lexar cards (they work)

Various other lenses and cameras I rarely use

2 x SB900 (not melted yet)
1 x SB800 (keeps going)
2 x Bowen Gemini 500 (too big but pretty indestructible)
5 x Pixel King trigger/receivers (reliable and cheap'ish
2 x Pixel Opas transceiver (mainly use as camera trigger bought for £13 each)
2 x Avenger/Matthews C-stand with boom arm (for use with big diffusers)
5 x studio stand
2 x portable studio stand
2 x Manfrotto 026 adapter (Useful)
7 x sand bags (essential for outdoor shooting with diffuser (due to wind))
50+ AA Eneloop batteries (essential)
Multiple diffusers/reflectors/Umbrellas and adapter equipment

Three legged Thing Eric (main tripod, small light and has 7ft extension, needs lots of maintenance)
Manfrotto 055 Pro (heavy but works)
Novoflex classicball 5 II, with Q-base quick release, L bracket. (exceptionally well made with fluid motion but heavy and big)
3 legged thing Airhead 1 (light but fiddly (hate the arca swiss plate)
Manfrotto 3 way head (used with video slider)
Manfrotto 500 pro video head
Background equipment

Leatherman PST II (extremely useful and still legal to carry in UK)
Joby Gorilla torch (Packing away gear when it gets dark)

Tenba Medium Shootout backpack (not used tht much, but carries a lot, is heavy)
Tamrac Ultra Pro 13 (main storage bag)
Tamrac Ultra Pro 17 (international travel)
2 x Nikon trunk case with Pelican foam inserts (bought in sale but a lot of money for not that much)
Various other bags which I have acquire over the years, which store equipment)

For general carry around use I mainly use

Fuji X-E1
Fuji 18-55mm f/2.8-4
Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 (almost always on camera)
Fuji 50-230mm f/4.5-6.3 (which I never really use)
77mm-58mm filter adapter
3 Legged thing Eric, with Airhead 1 and novoflex Q-plate
Fuji LC-X Buffalo bag (nice weather, lite carry)
Tenba Black Label small shoulder bag (general carry bag built like a tank)

Editing

Adobe Lightroom CC (General photos)
Phase One Capture One Pro 8 (better than Lightroom for photo editing particularly colour)
Onone Perfect Photosuite 9.5 (generally use for masking)
Nik colllection (rarely used now)
Photoshop CC (not use much)

Esko

Enlightened
Wise words from Semiman, however, I would like to add something.

All the equipment in the world does not replace composition .... best done by experience, knowledge, research, and perhaps most of all, the patience and perseverance to be in the right place at the right time.

Experience in particular comes with time and doing. This may very well include buying equipment that you later find unnecessary, unpractical or useless (AND learn from that). There are also plenty of people whose photography hobby is badly restrained because they just think their equipment is not good enough.

Well, my equipment:

Canon 60d
Sigma 17-50/f2.8
Canon Speedlite 430EX II (+omnibounce + some gels)
Wireless radio remote
Manfrotto ??? (a middle sized basic tripod, model markings are worn off)
Manfrotto Pixi
Lowepro Nova 1 bag

Plus old 75-300 kit lens from 90's, lens reverse adapter, extension tubes, macro rail, collapsible reflectors and some ebay dslr video utilities + RØDE Stereo Videomic. Used occasionally.

Replaced/old equipment:

Canon 350d
Canon 17-85/f4-5.6 +CPL +ND (diaphragm replaced twice, backfocuses now)
Sigma EF 500 DG Super (doesn't flash reliably any more, TTL never worked well)

SemiMan

Banned
There are also plenty of people whose photography hobby is badly restrained because they just think their equipment is not good enough.

I am in the market for a new DSLR body right now. These type of people you describe are a great source of used equipment because they believe that moving to full frame from DX is going to magically make their pictures better.

One thing it magically does is make them sell lightly used DX equipment at good prices :)

Esko

Enlightened
I am in the market for a new DSLR body right now. These type of people you describe are a great source of used equipment because they believe that moving to full frame from DX is going to magically make their pictures better.

One thing it magically does is make them sell lightly used DX equipment at good prices :)

Good thinking. Anyway, I was also referring to people with compact cameras and very cheap cameras. People tend to have a mindset like:"I can't really do sports photography because I only have a compact camera" or "I can't take artistic portraits because my camera doesn't allow shallow DOF" or "I don't need to think about lighting because my camera is cheap and automatic". That is of course if they even know about those things; They haven't cared to learn because, well, they think the equipment is not good enough anyway. If a photograph looks terrible, it is because the camera couldn't do better and there is nothing you could do about it (except buy a more expensive camera).

Many artistic decisions like how you frame the photograph are independent of the equipment quality.

Personally, I have never had a full frame DSLR but I don't want one either. Of course, if I had plenty of money or if I photographed for money, it would be nice and it would have it's advantages. But not as the only camera, not for me. I sometimes like to take macro shots and I am unhappy with the already very short DOF of the crop size sensor. I also want to bounce my flash and/or use existing light when photographing inside (omnibounce gets very little use, too - I do sometimes use a hand or a piece of paper to direct small part of the light directly on the target though). This may often lead to a need to use large aperture also when I don't want any extreme shallow DOF and having a full frame would make it worse. And then there are weight and size issues and such... Anyway, currently I think that the crop sensor is good enough for everything I do and in all cases, it would be far more beneficial for me to buy a good compact camera than a better DSLR.

bestellen

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking the Which Camera thread is basically a general gear thread.

Nevertheless:

D90
18-105mm 3.5-5.6 (kit lens)
Sigma 70-300mm 3.5-5.6
50mm 1.8
SB-600 Flash
55mm 2.8 micro (from 1979)

All in order of purchase. Then of course I have a few other trinkets like lens hoods, SD cards, extra battery, etc.

Latest posts