Post your camera equipment/setup!

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Deals can be found on Canon 5DmkIII.

The 5D mkIV is close to $3,000 USD while the mkIII can be found for $2200 or less.

If I were a Canon shooter, I'd go for the mkIII as I don't do video.

Never understood purchasing a DSLR to use for video.

angerdan

Enlightened
Don't do the Sigma lens. Go with Tamron or Tokina. Sigma doesn't have a good rep.
Sigma build better lenses than Tamron/Tokina.
The 35mm 1.4 Art is the sharpest 35mm ever, like the 85mm Art.
Even the 18-35mm is sharper than the primes from canikon.
https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/sigma-85mm-f1.4-dg-hsm-art-for-canon

I own Canon 700D with screen size 7.62cm.
I have it since 2 years now and planning to upgrade.
Can anyone suggest me what to consider while going for an upgrade.

• Learn more about photography
  • Learn about image compostion
  • practise
  • Visit photo exhibitions
  • practise
  • get a good lens (17-50mm 2.8)
  • get a better lens (70-200mm 2.8)
  • get a prime lens (50mm)
  • practise

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigma build better lenses than Tamron/Tokina.
The 35mm 1.4 Art is the sharpest 35mm ever, like the 85mm Art.
Even the 18-35mm is sharper than the primes from canikon.
https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/sigma-85mm-f1.4-dg-hsm-art-for-canon

Dan, have you shot the 85mm Art lens? I have. It's sharp but lacks contrast when used for black and white. I don't like the term micro contrast, but the lens lacks the tonality I'm accustomed to for prime glass.

As a whole, the quality of Tamron lenses is greater than Sigma. Sigma gets pushed by some dealers due to higher kickbacks for sales. Ask your dealer how many Sigma lenses he's returned for repair verses Tamron?

The Art lens for Nikon and Canon is $1200, if you can find the Canon version. The other downside of the 85Art is that it's slow to focus compared the Nikon 85f/1.4 G lens and the Canon f/1.2 USM.

Lens sharpness isn't everything in photography. It helps, but it's not the end all be all.

mfunnell

Newly Enlightened
Hello Guys,

I own Canon 700D with screen size 7.62cm.

Below are the specs:
[.. snip ..]
I have it since 2 years now and planning to upgrade.
Can anyone suggest me what to consider while going for an upgrade.
You already have a quite capable camera. I'm assuming that you haven't yet used it to its full capability, if only because you only have one lens for it and so can't have used it to its full capability. Buying a new camera won't change that, and most certainly won't make your photos any better in any meaningful sense. Before you can know if a change in camera would be useful, you have to really know what your existing equipment can and can't do - which requires knowing it well and using it to the point where you can say "I want it to do x and it's harder than it should be..." But x needs to be some specific technical thing, not just a general desire to take better photos nor attempting to substitute equipment for technique.

IMO, the only photographically useful reason to buy a new camera is if it allows you to surpass a limitation of your old one. That is, if the new camera allows you to do something you just couldn't do with the old one (which would be a rare circumstance) or if it allows you to do something you want much more conveniently than the old one.

You've already been given some good advice:
  • Learn more about photography
  • Learn about image compostion
  • practise
  • Visit photo exhibitions
  • practise
  • get a good lens (17-50mm 2.8) |
  • get a better lens (70-200mm 2.8) |- well, get other lenses, anyway
  • get a prime lens (50mm) |
  • practise
You'd probably be better off taking that advice, rather than spending more money on a camera you're unlikely to get much more out of than you have your old one.

...Mike

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
IMO, the only photographically useful reason to buy a new camera is if it allows you to surpass a limitation of your old one.

I second that! The camera I use most is a Nikon D200 (First released 11 years ago). I can make really good looking D size (24x36 inch) prints. It doesn't do so well in low light, but other than that what more could I really ask for -- aside for more skills, that is ;-)

The lens I use most is a Sigma 10-20, but I have a reasonable selection, including some old manual focus lenses.

I have also settled on a Sunpak 622 speedlight. It's massive and only does basic flash, but it's wicked bright (GN 160).

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Merry Christmas to me..
46718668821_7df7ac01a1_o.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Good ol' Santa always approves of the big boy toys; the body and lens are now "previous generation," so both can be had used for less than half their original price, a good time to buy..

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice StarHalo. Is that D810 new for you? You'll love it if so as my D800 is my baby. Yeah, I think once I do again want to upgrade in the future I'll probably try to (... try to ...) stick to a generation behind. So a few years from now the D850 might be in my sights. My D800 has served me well and I bought it new with the purpose of NOT upgrading for a long time. I specifically wanted a "pro" level magnesium bodied FF Nikon for that reason. I don't want to even hold a D850 in a store though as I hear the grip is much improved/deeper which always has been something I'm not totally happy with on the D800. I want an actual Nikon vertical grip for it, but they are crazy expensive and I don't understand why. Not sure I trust the non-Nikon grips on it even though some get great ratings. I used a vertical grip sometimes on my D90.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that a Sigma or Tamron, StarHalo? I've used 70-200's from both and both are great. I really want to actually finally own a 70-200 permanently though. The G2 line from Tamron are supposed to be amazing. I used the first gen VC 70-200 from them and it's dreamy. Even the newer version is less than half the price of the newest Nikon 70-200/2.8 and just about as good from everything I've read.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Nice StarHalo. Is that D810 new for you? You'll love it if so as my D800 is my baby. Yeah, I think once I do again want to upgrade in the future I'll probably try to (... try to ...) stick to a generation behind.

New for me but used otherwise; the D810 and D850 have the same upgraded grip, but the entire combo pictured above is ~2/3rds the price of a lensless D850 body.

Is that a Sigma or Tamron, StarHalo? I've used 70-200's from both and both are great. I really want to actually finally own a 70-200 permanently though.

Sigma 50-500, it's not nearly as fast as a 70-200, but my goal is to shoot an airshow with only one lens, this will definitely do it. I have an actual 70-200 for my previous camera, seen earlier in the photos thread.

Last edited: