power cord for Power on Board hid

whooda4

Newly Enlightened
I lost the power cord and have been looking for a new one. The side of the light states 13.8v 750mA but I can not find anything with the same amperage.

Would it be safe to purchase one of the universal power supplies that run at a different amperage?

I have been searching for over an hour and am no closer to my answer.

Thanks

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I lost the power cord and have been looking for a new one. The side of the light states 13.8v 750mA but I can not find anything with the same amperage.

Would it be safe to purchase one of the universal power supplies that run at a different amperage?

I have been searching for over an hour and am no closer to my answer.

Thanks

As long as the amperage is the same or greater and the voltage is the same or perhaps a little greater (14v should work) then you are set. For awhile I went around to flea markets and thrift stores and picked up wall warts for $1-$2 each. I would pay $2 for the big amperage common ones like 9v 1A and 12V 1.5A ones as to buy them new costs upwards of $20 in the stores.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as the amperage is the same or greater and the voltage is the same or perhaps a little greater (14v should work) then you are set.

From my limited experience with SLA batteries like the one found in a POB(I own one) Lynx_Arc is correct.I have owned a SunForce spotlight for 6 years and have lost the power cord twice.Both times I went down to the local Salvation Army Thrift store and bought a power cord($2 both times)that was close in voltage and in amps as the original one.The amount of abuse from their owners these batteries can take is amazing.I left mine in my garage all winter uncharged-in -35 degree weather-and it still came to life after 12 hours of charging in the the spring.I know someone will scold me me for being so bad with my batteries but so what......
nana.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Yeah, you may be ok to use even a 15v wall wart. I have used 9v wallwarts in place of 6v ones before, I don't advise it but if you calculate the power (watts) of the 6v model and find a 9v one with similar power rating then the higher voltage probably won't overpower the device. Like a 6v 500ma is 3watts, if you use a 9v 300ma one that would be 2.7watts it may work ok. For recharging batteries like SLA and nicad slightly higher voltage should work ok because the batteries are more forgiving. For some electronics that reregulate DC input to a certain extent should work too. I have seen 6v devices that use 12v dc inputs, and have e 9v dc input boombox that runs perfectly off a 6v SLA. The trick is to limit power on higher than optimal voltage inputs, and to make sure you have excessive power available when lower than recommended for voltage as wallwarts tend to sag in voltage some under load especially the smaller ones while the larger 1amp etc ones sag a lot less. Devices that use small alkaline batteries at decent drive currents may run fine at lower voltages that don't sag under higher than rated current levels. A 9v 200ma device may run fine off a 6v 500ma source, my boombox would start distorting when I turned the volume way up when the 6v SLA I ran it off of in a power outage was about used up. I had a 6v flat alkaline battery in a tv remote tha cost about $7 to replace that I used 3AAA alkalines soldered in series to replace it that ran fine for about 3/4 the length at about 20% of the cost essentially saving me $5.