Power goes out and you are only allowed two flashlights ? what are what modes would you run each ?

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
If the power goes out im grabbing my thrunite t2 21700 in NW and running it on medium for 7.5 hours with 366 lumens and for supplemental lighting I`d grab my night core HC 60 and run it on high. What your set up.

The conditions are that the power is out at home and its 7 pm and you need to stay awake for 9-10 for what every reason

Whats your set up ?

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bunch of options, but probably the two most versatile choices are a 3D cell ML300 and a 2D cell dual mode Maglite LED, both using 3D printed diffusers/bases to turn them into lanterns. With battery adapters I can run both on at least 10 different batteries. The lowest modes is what I tend to use the lowest modes (40-60 lumens for these lights) most for power outages.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd grab anything i can find in a dark lol. but on a serious note, i'd take noctigon d18, and a ZL headlamp

bignc

Enlightened
Have some M61WLL and WLLL goodies on 16650 and 18650 bodies that run a long time- for walking around or room lighting. For room nightlight style lighting, I have a dozen or more DatiLED VoltVamp battery drainers and a lantern style or 2 from him. Alot of those in my prepper nerd crazy guy boxes too.

cerbie

Enlightened
Been there, done that, and spent half the night checking out storm damage in the neighborhood.

First, an HDS Clicky (EDC), which has a flood reflector. Double-click and triple-click have already been set based on this exact scenario playing out in reality, with triple-click being just enough light to safely walk with.

Second would be my G2 tan, sporting a M61LLL 219B. It's good for a few hundred feet of obstacle-free throw without any nearby light pollution, and can work with primaries, if power stays out. Unlike the HDS, I can also just hand it to anybody else, and they can use it. Plus, it's easy to find if dropped. Last time we had a long outage, it got 3 hours or so on a rando, "1200mAh," cell. I haven't even tried running down the new legit 2500mAh ones. It's amazing what just a few tens if lumens will do, when it's only competing against moonlight.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off the bat would be my HDS rotary to get to my other lights but the two main ones would be a ZL H600fc and a BLF LT1 lantern. Both would be low enough for the task at hand.
Hands free and area lighting.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I'd choose my 4 D cell maglite with the terralux conversion for all around tasks and my surefire P1R for my EDC all around light in that case. I can run low setting on the maglite forever and if I need a super bright beam I can use my P1R.

michiganstud

Enlightened
Im seeing a lot of high powered stuff and rechargeable batteries so far in this thread. Think that through!! Anything rechargeable should be ruled out.

For power outage, SHTF, I've planned ahead and went with boxes of AA and D cell batteries. I have various lanterns that run for days on a set of AA batts.

For flashlights I've got several of the Maglite LED AA models...they're 332 lumens and run for 2 hours.

Then I got a couple ML300L D cell lights. Those run at 746 lumens for 32 hours!! But what I like is you can step them down to low for 112 hours or eco for 298 hours!! That's a lot of light for a lot of time on one set of batteries.

I will say one thing about power outage and poop hit the fan equipment. Go with the same battery platforms on all your equipment. You don't need to stock and carry 5 different battery types. My am/fm E-radio, lanterns and lights all run AA batteries except for the maglites, which run D's.

Keep batteries to what's readily available and the same.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
h4QKbTp_d.webp

Remember the cold weather the morning of Christmas Eve? I have seen it snow in Virginia, quite a lot in the mountains and near the bays, but I have never felt it this cold here. The day started at 16°F and it got up to a toasty 27°F. I was outside when the power went out and didn't notice for 45 minutes. My feet were frozen, so I went inside to warm up and got the bad news. I have baseboard heat, and my house was already cold. It was during the late morning through afternoon, but I knew one light would be best for this job, the Greenbean which was running Lumens Factory IMR-M6 at the time. Just one mode, full blast. Sorry if this grosses anyone out, but it worked, defrosted and warmed up my feet, and the blanket and bed in short order. Power stayed out 5 hours, so I periodically generously reapplied, swapped cells, and kept on going until the power and baseboards came back around 4PM.

FlIk7QX_d.webp

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore MH10 v.2- mostly used on 300 lumens ceiling bounced or with NDF25 diffuser for room lighting. Have 1 lumen setting if I need to see with intruders around. 50 lumens for walking around. 1200 lumens for spotting looters from a distance.

Nitecore HC60 v.2 headlight- mostly used at 40 lumens to get around hands free. Used up to 250 lumens for larger tasks. 1 lumen setting used more if blackout is prolonged.

Both lights have built in usb-c charging and I have Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panels to charge each should the blackout last a long time.

bignc

Enlightened
Im seeing a lot of high powered stuff and rechargeable batteries so far in this thread. Think that through!! Anything rechargeable should be ruled out.

For power outage, SHTF, I've planned ahead and went with boxes of AA and D cell batteries. I have various lanterns that run for days on a set of AA batts.

For flashlights I've got several of the Maglite LED AA models...they're 332 lumens and run for 2 hours.

Then I got a couple ML300L D cell lights. Those run at 746 lumens for 32 hours!! But what I like is you can step them down to low for 112 hours or eco for 298 hours!! That's a lot of light for a lot of time on one set of batteries.

I will say one thing about power outage and poop hit the fan equipment. Go with the same battery platforms on all your equipment. You don't need to stock and carry 5 different battery types. My am/fm E-radio, lanterns and lights all run AA batteries except for the maglites, which run D's.

Keep batteries to what's readily available and the same.
Lol- bro. Do you have any idea how many rechargeable batteries some of us have? And battery packs and generators that use carbon fuels and solar? I have hundreds of primaries and as many rechargeable batts. I have moonlight mode lights and battery drainers and just typical medium output lights/ drop-ins. Some more sophisticated and therefore more frail perhaps- but lots of single mode and bulletproof.

HOWEVER- totally missed the title saying 2 lights. Probably a yuji E01 and lots of batts. And then a hi/lo mallkoff with Li-ion and primaries

Poppy

Flashaholic
The conditions are that the power is out at home and its 7 pm and you need to stay awake for 9-10 for what every reason

Whats your set up ?
Stay awake until 9-10PM? Or for 9-10 hours?

Until 9-10PM, I'd grab a convoy S2+ and a sofirn D25L headlamp. Each is powered by an 18650.

tEh8SvOSFtTk5Xm7ZbbTfYY8mF=w670-h893-no?authuser=0.jpg

michiganstud

Enlightened
HOWEVER- totally missed the title saying 2 lights. Probably a yuji E01 and lots of batts. And then a hi/lo mallkoff with Li-ion and primaries

I guess I totally missed the title too! I was more concerned about making my point of something in the long term outage I guess.

Power goes out - I'm going for my Streamlight Macrostream that's always EDC in my pocket - or if I'm in my underwear in bed I'm grabbing my Surefire 6P with Sportac drop in on high mode. That's on the nightstand.