Power goes out and you are only allowed two flashlights ? what are what modes would you run each ?

3_gun

Enlightened
A Sofirn Q8 Plus & an Emisar D4K w/duel channels. The Q8 will put out about 200L for a couple hours a day for at least 2 weeks (I got tired of testing at that point) has a diffuser & a tripod mount so you can take it anywhere to use. The D4K on my hip gets great run times by only using 2 of the 4 LEDS at a time. My default is level 3 on stepped ramping & I'm into my 3rd week of daily use at work/home & it still shows 3.8 as the current battery level. I have a couple of Hank lights with the boost driver that might be better at run times because of the driver but I haven't run any tests to prove it.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I got a couple ML300L D cell lights. Those run at 746 lumens for 32 hours!!
SO that you are not disappointed at a time you are counting on those numbers, I suggest that you do a little test.

Load two of your ML300L lights with fresh D cells.
Turn one on at high, and set it down. Then each hour, compare it to the other one, that you turn off after each comparison.

Please post your results.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power outage. Zebralight h600fc on medium/low settings. Nothing beats a Floody headlamp during power outage with very long runtimes. HDS Executive in my pocket running low/medium output. I got enough CR123 primaries to last me years

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
nice im looking int
Been there, done that, and spent half the night checking out storm damage in the neighborhood.

First, an HDS Clicky (EDC), which has a flood reflector. Double-click and triple-click have already been set based on this exact scenario playing out in reality, with triple-click being just enough light to safely walk with.

Second would be my G2 tan, sporting a M61LLL 219B. It's good for a few hundred feet of obstacle-free throw without any nearby light pollution, and can work with primaries, if power stays out. Unlike the HDS, I can also just hand it to anybody else, and they can use it. Plu, it's easy to find if dropped. Last time we had a long outage, it got 3 hours or so on a rando, "1200mAh," cell. I haven't even tried running down the new legit 2500mAh ones
Been there, done that, and spent half the night checking out storm damage in the neighborhood.

First, an HDS Clicky (EDC), which has a flood reflector. Double-click and triple-click have already been set based on this exact scenario playing out in reality, with triple-click being just enough light to safely walk with.

Second would be my G2 tan, sporting a M61LLL 219B. It's good for a few hundred feet of obstacle-free throw without any nearby light pollution, and can work with primaries, if power stays out. Unlike the HDS, I can also just hand it to anybody else, and they can use it. Plu, it's easy to find if dropped. Last time we had a long outage, it got 3 hours or so on a rando, "1200mAh," cell. I haven'

Stay awake until 9-10PM? Or for 9-10 hours?

Until 9-10PM, I'd grab a convoy S2+ and a sofirn D25L headlamp. Each is powered by an 18650.

View attachment 39146

yes you have to be awake for 9-10 hours. In this scenario you have stay awake because of earth quake/ natural diaster ETC and lets just saw for the fun of it we are in northern Europe when in winter happens its dark for like 10-12 hours etc

Thanks for participating in this mock scenario

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
h4QKbTp_d.webp

Remember the cold weather the morning of Christmas Eve? I have seen it snow in Virginia, quite a lot in the mountains and near the bays, but I have never felt it this cold here. The day started at 16°F and it got up to a toasty 27°F. I was outside when the power went out and didn't notice for 45 minutes. My feet were frozen, so I went inside to warm up and got the bad news. I have baseboard heat, and my house was already cold. It was during the late morning through afternoon, but I knew one light would be best for this job, the Greenbean which was running Lumens Factory IMR-M6 at the time. Just one mode, full blast. Sorry if this grosses anyone out, but it worked, defrosted and warmed up my feet, and the blanket and bed in short order. Power stayed out 5 hours, so I periodically generously reapplied, swapped cells, and kept on going until the power and baseboards came back around 4PM.

FlIk7QX_d.webp
ooch sounds bitter cold. I`m sure it was a quite the event.
Have you consisdered getting a few portable power stations and electric blanket to keep you warm next time this happens.

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
Off the bat would be my HDS rotary to get to my other lights but the two main ones would be a ZL H600fc and a BLF LT1 lantern. Both would be low enough for the task at hand.
Hands free and area lighting.
yes your right i forgot about laterns and that they would make up the primary source of lighting.
I have the luci emgercy solar lantern and two usb desk lamps that would be my pain constant source of light. DO NOT over look usb desk lamp and a portable power station as good light source and also you could connect your christmas lights

Msf

Enlightened
MD2 with M61NL and whatever one of my edc lights I happen to have on me at the time (probably an HDS or Surefire E series of one variety or another). I have enough batteries stashed around the house, shed, vehicles and elsewhere that I wouldn't run out for a few years.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I would probably go with a malkoff md2 with m61wll and hi/lo ring and malkoff md3 m91bn with hi/low ring. The md2 would be used on both the high and low mode as needed, and md3 on low mode with high being saved only if it's really necessary.

I would use 18650's and 18500's respectively and if they ran out I have a horde of cr123's. If it came to it I could put the m61wll head on the md3 to use 2x aa's or aaa's.

MAGALITE

Newly Enlightened
If the power goes out im grabbing my thrunite t2 21700 in NW and running it on medium for 7.5 hours with 366 lumens and for supplemental lighting I`d grab my night core HC 60 and run it on high. What your set up.

The conditions are that the power is out at home and its 7 pm and you need to stay awake for 9-10 for what every reason

Whats your set up ?
For me it's two Streamlight SideWinder Military flashlights (one for the wife, one for me) with a case of Energizer Lithium AA batteries. These little things are perfect task lights for mundane things like brushing your teeth or using the bathroom. They have extremely long, regulated battery life with sufficient throw and balanced flood beam. The multiple output settings, overall durability and simplicity of function make it useful for 99% of the household chores or tasks I may be faced with in an extended power outage. The 90 degree form factor allows me to clip it to my shirt for hands free use and/or set it down on a counter and direct the light to where I need it. Pointing it at the ceiling will light an entire room.

The Hawk

Enlightened
I would grab my Maglite ML300L. On Eco mode, it can run for several days, yet can blast a little over 1,000 lumens on the highest setting. My other light would be my JetBeam 10. It runs on one AA (of which I have several dozen) and can tail stand. It has low and high settings.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
My general rule in unexpected outages, even at home, is to grab my EDC lights first until I can get organized/set for an extended outage; turn off circuit breakers, unplug the modem, and so on, to prevent damage in the event of surges when the power comes back.

The rationale is that for my EDC lights, I generally have a much better idea of their status and typically have either fresh or at least 70% or so battery life in them. I swap in new batteries at the end of the day if I've put them through any use beyond that. By comparison, the handful of lights I might have lying around at home at any given moment, I tend to forget how drained they are.

I had an outage years ago where I grabbed (randomly) a Fenix TK20 and the AA NiMh cratered only a minute or two after turning it on (that's one advantage of a light that has a dim "dead batteries mode" rather than just shutting off abruptly).

Once I'm "set up" so to speak, then I can load up whatever light I want to use that will run plenty long enough that I won't have to worry about it shutting off.

For output, unless you're trying to perform surgery or solder surface-mount microchips, you're probably not going to need hundreds of lumens for indoors. Last outage I had in December was in the morning (still dark) when I had to get ready for work. I think I was just using a couple of Quark AA lights. I might have turned one on high (~100 lm) to shower, but it was medium (~30 lm) for everything else. Can't remember, it might've been a AA Quark Mini on high for showering (~70 lm) since it tailstands easily.

For the OP scenario, I'd use the EDC first (typically some kind of Quark configuration) then load up a 3D or 4D old Maglite with a low-power LED drop-in (apx 30 to 40 lm) that will run for days.

I don't think I'm going to buy any more D or C cells though, after the current batch is gone. The quality (leaking!) has gotten so bad in recent years I can't stand the idea of spending money on D and C just for standby that are going to sit in the closet till they leak.

Rather spend the money on primary lithium AAs for long-term standby batteries. For my usage, LED efficiency negates the need to fool with C and D alkalines.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that was longer than I intended.

Short version: First grab a light you're familiar with, get settled, then set up a long burn-time light. And less is more (for indoor lumens).

The Hawk

Enlightened
SO that you are not disappointed at a time you are counting on those numbers, I suggest that you do a little test.

Load two of your ML300L lights with fresh D cells.
Turn one on at high, and set it down. Then each hour, compare it to the other one, that you turn off after each comparison.

Please post your results.
I only have one of the ML300L lights, so I can't do that test. It would be interesting to see results though. On ECO mode it is supposed to last 434 hours. Now whether that is true or not, I don't know. I feel comfortable having it as one of my back up lights though.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
h4QKbTp_d.webp

Remember the cold weather the morning of Christmas Eve? I have seen it snow in Virginia, quite a lot in the mountains and near the bays, but I have never felt it this cold here. The day started at 16°F and it got up to a toasty 27°F. I was outside when the power went out and didn't notice for 45 minutes. My feet were frozen, so I went inside to warm up and got the bad news. I have baseboard heat, and my house was already cold. It was during the late morning through afternoon, but I knew one light would be best for this job, the Greenbean which was running Lumens Factory IMR-M6 at the time. Just one mode, full blast. Sorry if this grosses anyone out, but it worked, defrosted and warmed up my feet, and the blanket and bed in short order. Power stayed out 5 hours, so I periodically generously reapplied, swapped cells, and kept on going until the power and baseboards came back around 4PM.

FlIk7QX_d.webp

Good reason to have at least some kind of heating system that is not dependent on the grid working. I have enough back up power to run our natural gas furnace, but it is almost impossible to back up electric heaters - except maybe with a healthy generator.

As far as the light selection, we just use some head lamps with USB charge ports. I can charge them up from the battery back up setup.

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
My general rule in unexpected outages, even at home, is to grab my EDC lights first until I can get organized/set for an extended outage; turn off circuit breakers, unplug the modem, and so on, to prevent damage in the event of surges when the power comes back.

The rationale is that for my EDC lights, I generally have a much better idea of their status and typically have either fresh or at least 70% or so battery life in them. I swap in new batteries at the end of the day if I've put them through any use beyond that. By comparison, the handful of lights I might have lying around at home at any given moment, I tend to forget how drained they are.

I had an outage years ago where I grabbed (randomly) a Fenix TK20 and the AA NiMh cratered only a minute or two after turning it on (that's one advantage of a light that has a dim "dead batteries mode" rather than just shutting off abruptly).

Once I'm "set up" so to speak, then I can load up whatever light I want to use that will run plenty long enough that I won't have to worry about it shutting off.

For output, unless you're trying to perform surgery or solder surface-mount microchips, you're probably not going to need hundreds of lumens for indoors. Last outage I had in December was in the morning (still dark) when I had to get ready for work. I think I was just using a couple of Quark AA lights. I might have turned one on high (~100 lm) to shower, but it was medium (~30 lm) for everything else. Can't remember, it might've been a AA Quark Mini on high for showering (~70 lm) since it tailstands easily.

For the OP scenario, I'd use the EDC first (typically some kind of Quark configuration) then load up a 3D or 4D old Maglite with a low-power LED drop-in (apx 30 to 40 lm) that will run for days.

I don't think I'm going to buy any more D or C cells though, after the current batch is gone. The quality (leaking!) has gotten so bad in recent years I can't stand the idea of spending money on D and C just for standby that are going to sit in the closet till they leak.

Rather spend the money on primary lithium AAs for long-term standby batteries. For my usage, LED efficiency negates the need to fool with C and D alkalines.
Nic set up :)

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
Power outage. Zebralight h600fc on medium/low settings. Nothing beats a Floody headlamp during power outage with very long runtimes. HDS Executive in my pocket running low/medium output. I got enough CR123 primaries to last me years
This right is the same thing i was thinking . I love my thurnite t2 in medium bc it 366 lumens for 7.5 hours and it a nice flood flash light