Power outage must have lights

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
in time they may come out with new radios with tv band frequencies perhaps, just get a semi decent am/fm radio that isn't a boom box so it will run for a long time.
I prefer headlamps over a neckace light. The one thing in a long outage is a car charger setup. There is always a good chance that cars will be around I charged up 8 AAs in my truck every night and another 4-8AAs driving around in the daytime getting ice and food and stuff.

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
... I do stock up on AA and D cells, but I need to figure out a schedule to periodically refresh the supplies by perhaps slowly using up a couple of each every so often. I don't think any of the Duracells or Energizers claim to have 10 years shelf life like the SF 123s....

Don't forget the Energizer Lithium AA & AAA batteries. They'll fit your common lights, have better than alkaline capacity, and even better shelf life than the 3V lithiums. (Several threads running. Eveready has a new lower cost, lower capacity model. And Ray-O-Vac is introducing their own line. Though, for now, I'm sticking to the tried and true Energizer e2, (now Ultimate?), Lithiums.)

I think the best general solution to batteries is Eneloops day-to-day and AA Lithiums as emergency backups. I'm trying to standardize our supplies on them. (I'm saving the CR123s, & others, for special lights saved for special situations.)

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
Having lived in Hurricane Land for 66 1/2 years, we tend to be a bit more prepared than most. Perhaps "Overprepared".

01.) 5 KW genny with 3 days supply of gas at all times, After a month, that gas goes in the cars and is replaced.
02.) 3 Coleman propane lanterns and 12 cylinders.
03.) 2 3D Mags with LEDs
04.) 3 4D flourescent lanterns and 1 8D
05.) 1 3AA and 1 4AA Coleman LED lantern
06.) Many other flashlights
07.) 2 3AAA headlights and 1 3AA headlight
08.) Propane 2 burner stove
09.) 4 deep cycle batteries and inverters from 100 watt to 1000 watt charged from genny during the day.
10.) Firearms.
11.) A large supply of primary and rechargeable AAA, AA and D cells, kept fresh.
12.) 1 Ryobi 18 volt fan, 1 O2 8D fan, 1 O2 2D fan and 4 12 volt marine fans to place around the house.
13.) 5000 BTU window A/C to use in smallest bedroom. (Large bedroom has a sliding door instead of window.)

But I have lived through 2 week periods of no power after hurricanes and we intend to be as comfortable as possible.

Major point though, it does not matter who or where you are, you need to be prepared for at least a couple of days without power, even if it's just in a "get by" mode until you can get some help.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the Energizer Lithium AA & AAA batteries. They'll fit your common lights, have better than alkaline capacity, and even better shelf life than the 3V lithiums. (Several threads running. Eveready has a new lower cost, lower capacity model. And Ray-O-Vac is introducing their own line. Though, for now, I'm sticking to the tried and true Energizer e2, (now Ultimate?), Lithiums.)

I think the best general solution to batteries is Eneloops day-to-day and AA Lithiums as emergency backups. I'm trying to standardize our supplies on them. (I'm saving the CR123s, & others, for special lights saved for special situations.)

and they don't leak

ackbar

Enlightened
Several threads running. Eveready has a new lower cost, lower capacity model. And Ray-O-Vac is introducing their own line. Though, for now, I'm sticking to the tried and true Energizer e2, (now Ultimate?), Lithiums.

You wouldn't happen to have a link for me would ya? :D

Gatsby

Enlightened
I am the original poster and I would like to add a few more things.

You all are right about the radio TV band. Will there be no way to pick up the digital signal?

M*g 4D LEDs are great. I do have one. It is normally in my car but I would definately bring it in the house and use it for ceiling bounce in a prolonged power outage.

I used to use chem glow lights for night lights in the bedrooms but they are now $1.50 each and my local source went out of business. It is cheaper and easier to use the Pak or Pal lights. I get 9 volt batteries at the Dollar store at 2 for $1. They have plenty of juice in them and are of recent manufacture. Either chem lights or Pak lights are much better than candles, especially around kids or old folks. House fires are exciting only for a few minutes, and then they are no fun for years. Trust me on this.

Get a 4D battery run fan from Campmore (sp?). A cold shower and one of these fans will keep you almost comfortable when you have no A/C in the summer.

"Bump in the night light" - I am a little paranoid to begin with, and no electrical lights at night kicks that paranoia up a few notches. Seeing the EDC weapons pictures on this board, from time to time, lets me know I am am not the only paranoid on this board. I am a SureFire M6 fanatic. I do not see how or why anyone who keeps a weapon at home does not have an M6. I will paraphrase Forrest Gump, "Pistols and M6s go together like peas and carrots". It is hard for me to imagine one without the other at home.

Finally the real reason I started this thread was to spread the word on how incredibly useful it is to hang some sort of light around your neck in a power outage. The first time I did this was a real eye opener. I wondered why I had never done this before. Hang it around your neck and leave it on. You will never walk into a dark room. You will not have to dig in your pockets for it. You will not forget where you put it. It is much more comfortable than a headlight. It is ALWAYS right there on your chest. The new efficient LEDs make leaving a small AAA light on possible. The run times are so amazing and the output is good enough for a dark house. Fenix E01s are my choice, but I also have an old ARC AAA, a Fenix LOD and a Gerber Infinity that work great and have long runtimes. The ultimate light around the neck may be a SF A2, E1L, E2L, E1B, L1 or L2. You could leave it on in low mode and have high mode instantly accessable. I am scratching my head over this option. For now, a Fenix E01 left on, with a cheap AAA, around my neck, works great. Try it tonight.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I have learned a great deal from this board. I just wanted to share some hard earned experience. Thanks Sasha.

As another resident of hurricane and ice storm country a power outage is the most likely and most prevalent issue we face and they often last a couple days to a week. So I've spent some time putting together good power outage backups and a fair amount of my lights are organized around this circumstance.

I have to agree that I put a Peak Kilimanjaro on a lanyard and left it on much as you're suggesting and you're correct that it is an overlooked tactic when you need a bit of light to walk around.

And like many I have a handful of MagLEDs and a NiteIze 2-6 cell drop in for very long runtimes and in the case of the MagLED a good amount of light. Other than my pocket/EDC lights I keep a few odds and ends around as backup lights as well - Peak Pacific and Kilimanjaros serve that role primarily - as well as a Minimag with Niteize drop in. And the LLBean LED baseball hat for a headlamp if needed.

But the lights that haven't been mentioned that really pay dividends are Energizer 4AA folding lanterns. I've picked up a few on clearance for $5 or less and they are great in an outage. They run for around 120 hours on low, do just fine on rechargeables and can be left on as night lights in the kids rooms all night without concern over battery life. Plus they can be positioned in a variety of ways depending on the circumstances and light needs (including hanging from a hook).

That is just lights - I have a small generator to keep the fridge and a tv running (or a fan) - water and dry goods plus propane for the grill (which has a side burner).

tapedeck74

Newly Enlightened
During the "Ice Storm of 1998" we were without power/heat for 18 days. All I had for light was a cheapo flashlight and candles. I survived just fine.
Now, I have $500 worth of flashlights, batteries, headlamps and better candles. I figure I'm set for life, whatever it can throw at me.

ackbar

Enlightened
I'm sure your search would turn up the same results as mine and that you'd be better able to judge what interests you, but since it's still on the Electronics (& Batteries) front page here's:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204807

to get you started.

I can't believe I:

a: missed this when I searched for it before I posted the request for a link
b: MISSED IT WHEN IT WAS POSTED ORIGINALLY!!!! :(

thanks! :D

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
:shrug:
Name: Gerber Balefire™ Camo Lantern L.E.D.
Product Code: G80123
Says it's got a cree LED and that it has a 45 hour runtime.

AH, I'd fel better with the Rayovac Lantern Plenty of pleased CPF'ers with this one.:)

That it a decent looking lantern but it's nothing like the CMG Phoenix.The Phoenix is a relatively low output light.What makes the Phoenix usefull is the motion sensor.The light will turn on when it detects motion and it turns off after a few minutes if it doesn't detect any motion.Works great for the bathroom or stairwell without having to leave a light on all the time.Unfortunately, I did some searching and there doesn't seem to be a replacement.Wish I had purchased several more as they were only $10 ea. at the closeout price.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised no one is mentioning those little solar yard lights, CPF modified or no. If you go to this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/208524

and scroll down to #9 you'll find jeffosborne has made what amounts to solar/LED supplemental lighting for his whole house. It won't run his furnace or fridge, but by doG he can always find his way around the house!

Last edited: