Pr base bulb that's reliable with big imr cells

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a bulb I can put in my 3c mag that can reliably run on 2x imr 18650 or the 5ah 21700. I'm not really sure where to find bulbs anymore but I know that FiveMega has a super bulb sale thread I'll probably buy from there. I'm looking for around 2A draw.
The plan is to use the 6 cell magnum star for about 200L in my 2c ML25it when I get it off 2x 18500. That will replace my 3c mag as my "standard" incan.
Then I can soup up my 3c a bit. At 2A I should be around 400L which is plenty for me and should get good runtime on big cells. But I'm not interested in having a super white output that's right on the edge of flashing. I'm not looking at making a mega hot wire here but a usable light.
Most of the bulbs in his thread show two
protected only.
There's a frosted cl1499 but from researching that won't take the voltage.
There's the super stinger bulb.
There's the 3853L bulb. But lex luthor's
destructive test shows that blowing at around 8V.
There's the Potted WA01148-U

I will probably but the bifocal reflector at the same time so something that works well in that

Thanks

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
3854l or 3854h, aka rop low and high, 11w and 24w, takes 2 li ions or 6 nimh\nicd, pretty common mod in old days. never flashed one. but they are next to impossible to find now.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's cool I couldn't find those. Unfortunately they're $2 shipping if you live in the states. $20 for me. I may have to go with that though if another option doesn't present itself

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have 2 3854l and h, that i got a decade ago or more, i prbly will never use them so i'm willing to give them to you free, just cover the shipping, first class, no tracking is about 20, priority with tracking, is around 40 if i'm not mistaken.

but you do realize, with those bulbs you NEED aluminum reflector and a borosilicate glass, even 11W bulb will melt your stock plastic reflector and lens in minutes, regular glass lens wont work, it will crack, you may be ok for a while with 11w bulb, but 24w will crack glass in minutes, i had about half a dozen crack , before i found a borosilicate glass for a maglite,
also keep in mind, rated wattage is for normally driven bulbs, with 2 li ion you overdrive them above specks, they run hotter, and last only dosen of hours of so,

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey thank you for the offer I appreciate it. But I already purchased 2 packs. Very generous though. It's not so much the money but I can't afford it. I just hate spending so much in shipping. But I also understand that's the way that it works.
Yes I do realize about the reflector and lens. I have both an aluminum reflector and borosilicate lens on a couple of my mags. As well I may end up ordering a 2-in deep reflector as well.
It just sucks whenever you see something when it thinks you're in the states and then you switch to Canada and see the price skyrocket.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, international shipping is not cheap. most of the times. i used to have several people i know go to canada and back on regular basis, but with covid, they no longer go there. one of them had a route, he used to bring baked goods in usa, but no more. at least for now, due to covid,

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a shipping address just across the border as I live right on the border. But obviously I haven't been able to use that for the last couple years. Now with shipping prices and the exchange rate the reason why when I make online purchases I try to do it through Amazon or China.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to get a hold of tads customs and he graciously parted with a few of his 7218 or base bulbs so those are on the way. At close to 15w should be about perfect for what I'm looking for. Also managed to get a few 7212 bi pin bulbs which fit in the mag bi pin socket so hopefully those work well also in an ML25it