PR vs Bi-Pin

sterling1989

Newly Enlightened
I have been on an incandescent kick as of late and want to pick up some ican maglites before they are gone. it's been years since I've bought one. My local small town hardware store has both a pr krypton version and the bi-pin xenon version of the 2D maglite I want.

Which is the better choice? Any pros or cons to each one?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Xenon is brighter and is designed to last longer.

Krypton PR bulbs are not as efficient so runtime would be slightly less as well.

If you opt for the krypton bulb'd PR version you can buy the xenon upgrade kit and be able to use either a PR or a bi-pin. With bulbs becoming a thing of the past I find that may be an advantage in the days when replacement bulbs become scarce.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xenons are brighter, But I think I would get the old PR krypton version and some Mag Xenon bi-pin replacements, that way you can use either type of bulb and PR based LED drop ins in the future.

sterling1989

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I will get the PR version. Just curious but can't you downgrade the xenon bi-pin to a PR?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
You can. But the fastener for the bi-pin has a narrower opening not allowing the PR bulb to fit. The good news is a few twist with a steak knife or similar will easily remove enough of the soft metal to allow the PR bulb to fit.

Hardest part is keeping it completely round. See squeezing it enough to hold still while you drill out the metal causes it to egg shape. No big deal as it will easily become round again, just a bit of a pain vs the already large enough PR fastener.

I use a 3 cell krypton in a 4C that was a bi-pin when I bought it. I get about 60 or so lumens by over driving the bulb a little. Noticeable with fresh batteries but reduces run time before dimming is an issue.
Later I bought a 2D krypton and put a 2 cell bi-pin in it.

I swapped krypton fastener from the 2D krypton to the 4D and used a store bought 2 cell bulb upgrade kit to use that fastener to convert the 2D.

I had drilled out the 4C fastener to get the krypton to fit. But when converting the 2D to bi-pin decided to use a new fastener even though the drilled out fastener was going to work.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited: