Pre 4th-Gen KL1's

Niteowl

Enlightened
Pre 4th-Gen KL1\'s

I've been considering getting a earlier KL1. I don't care for the reported beam characteristics of the 4th Gen's (don't like the looks either). I also saw a post by chop that modding the 4th-G is harder, something I'm thinking about for the future.

What I'd like to know, are the older KL1's hard to come by? NIB, that is. A local place has some that are less than a year old, so it seems.

How can I tell a 3rd-G KL1 from earlier versions visually.

If you've modded your older KL1, what'd you do and how do you like it. And is it worth it considering the off-the-shelf lights available now.

Thanks, Mark

simbad

Enlightened
Re: Pre 4th-Gen KL1\'s

I have an old KL-1 modded by CM with a R2H, stock converter (500mah) and reflector, it has a beam pattern comparable to a PR head. This KL-1 is one of the best lights I have, I can use 1x123, 2x123 or 3x123 or R-123 as it is actually with a McE2s tailcap.

TRC

Newly Enlightened

I have a 3rd generation KL1 which I was fortunate enough to purchase from another CPF member. You can't tell a 2nd gen from a 3rd gen until you turn them on.

As you probably know, both the 2nd gen, and 3rd gen have the 'heat sink' ringed bezel, with the anti-roll hex head, and the scalloped lip. The 2nd gen is a low dome Luxeon, and the 3rd gen is a high dome Luxeon.

I like the 3rd generation KL1 a lot; it isn't as bright as a 4th gen., but it has a typical high dome beam, with a nice hotspot, and lots of useful spill light. My 3rd gen KL1 is on an E1e body with a Z57 clicky, and makes a very nice EDC light.

I should think it would be fairly eady to find a 1st or 2nd gen. KL1 for modding purposes; my 3rd gen KL1 has a serial number over 9000, and I have been told relatively few of the 3rd gen ones were made, so ther are lots of the low dome KL1's around.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm a fan of these 1-2-3 KL1s. I have an original KL1 (flat bezel) and a gen2 (scalloped bezel) and I modded both with high dome Luxeons and left the drive original - essentially making them gen3. Until you loctite the bezel, you can try various optics (NX05, fraen) or a reflector. And as noted, you can run it on 1, 2, or 3 cells, or 1 or 2 Li-Ion 4.2 volt, and use any of the E-series compatible bodies and tailcaps. And you get better runtime than gen4.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you can get a Gen III with a high dome in it, grab it. The only thing that I would consider necessary on this head is the replacement of the optic with a reflector. The stock KL1 runs at about 350mA and puts out plenty of light for general purpose use.

If you get on of the older KL1s, either a gen 1 or 2, you can pretty much count on having the replace the emitter too. If you decide to overdrive it, that can be done, but I can't say enough about that light's usefulness at the stock bias, especially in light of the runtime that you will get.

Just to give you an idea, modding a KL1 varies in price, if you don't do it yourself. At most, it would cost you about $40 plus parts to do a full mod consisting of a luxeon swap, reflector, and overdriving.

Modding the KL1 can range from very easy to tearing your hair out. This is because taking them apart is a bit tricky and I've seen some stubborn ones. On the more stubborn ones, I've seen many occassions of people doing a good bit of damage to their KL1s just trying to get them open.

In any case, if you can find one in the $30 or so range, I'd grab it. It would be a good deal even in the case of the worst example of a KL1. If you are buying one new for full retail, I'd ask to try it out and make sure that it has a high dome in it that has a tint that you can live with.

Niteowl

Enlightened

Thanks for the input!

It's starting to look like the heads at the local spot are most likely gen. 2's. They want $54.95 for them, so I'll probably pass unless I can talk them down quite a bit. Unlikely, but I'll explain just how undesirable they are! I'll find out Monday what serial numbers they have, but I was told they've had them for about a year. If the info I got from SF was correct, the 3rd gen's came out about mid-year '04.

After reading the above posts, I'd really like to get a 3rd gen. Sounds like it might be tough. With luck, maybe a nice used 2nd gen. cheap and mod it. What I'd really like is to have an Exe head modded by chop! Seems like the hot set-up. Just need to have the patience to save up the extra $$.....

Again, thanks, Mark

vinn

Newly Enlightened

ahh...just saw this thread, and realise that i had been edc-ing a gen-2 KL1 all along /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Since it's using a low dome, will it be anymore beneficial if i swop out the low dome with a high dome LuxIII running on KL1 stock circuit board?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif or just swop in a high dome 1watter?

Niteowl

Enlightened

vinn,

A quote from "Chop's mods"

"KL1 Mod
I can also modify your pre-gen4 KL1. What this mod consists of is swapping the low dome emitter with a nice T bin Lux III. I can also leave the KL1 head running at its stock bias of about 350mA or I can adjust the bias to deliver 700mA or 1A to the luxeon. I will also replace the stock NX05 optic with a reflector. I will be using the McR20 reflector, turned down to fit into the KL1 head.

For the KL1 mod, I would recommend the 700mA bias. It's the best compromise among brightness, runtime, and heat."

Hope you don't mind, Chop...

Mark

Latest posts