Preflash with foursevens flashlights

Wurkkos

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
Dunno about the tactical line but I have Quark Pro QP2A-X that does not have any pre-flash. It is a reverse clicky, though, so it doesn't have a tactical-style momentary on.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pre-flash is when the light is normally set for a low output, but when turned on, very briefly produces a higher output before settling back to the correct output level. The last 2 lights I received from 4Sevens (non-tactical) had the wide-range input voltage head or "light engine" and did have a very brief flash.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
I have a fairly new Quark Turbo QB2A XP-G2 and it has pre-flash but only if I turn it on low within a few seconds after turning it off on high.

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
I purchased a QTA about a month ago and it has preflash. That's the only complaint I'd have with it. It's really not bad enough that it disrupts my NV though, if that helps you.

RRRR

Newly Enlightened
Quark 123 and Quark AA, both single battery tactical: per 4sevens rep, preflash is just the way it is; "Tactical" refers to UI features. So, if you're using discreet minimal settings, you just have to remember that full-power beacon flash upon turning them on.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a QTA about a month ago and it has preflash. That's the only complaint I'd have with it. It's really not bad enough that it disrupts my NV though, if that helps you.

My Quarks from the last special neutral/high CRI run pre-flash with full output. It does hurt the eyes quite a bit, but is so brief it doesn't really affect NV. Is it the same or has the preflash diminished in intensity?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I've purchased well over a dozen Quarks, mostly within the past year during the great re-branding sales, for myself, as gifts, and for friends looking for lights, and most were XML versions (2 NW). Here's my experience:

All have a minuscule millisecond "pop" to them on moonlight - I'd say 0.6 lms - my D25s do the same. I don't know about others definition, I don't consider that to be pre-flash, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Of three XPGs (R5s and an S2) one R5 AA2 Turbo has a serious pre-flash, literally 100% output, on ML, L, M if the light has been off for 5 mins, or coming from a high mode. Now that's really annoying, and I have to remember to cover this one on first activation or I'll be seeing spots.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I've purchased well over a dozen Quarks, mostly within the past year during the great re-branding sales, for myself, as gifts, and for friends looking for lights, and most were XML versions (2 NW). Here's my experience:

All have a minuscule millisecond "pop" to them on moonlight - I'd say 0.6 lms - my D25s do the same. I don't know about others definition, I don't consider that to be pre-flash, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Of three XPGs (R5s and an S2) one R5 AA2 Turbo has a serious pre-flash, literally 100% output, on ML, L, M if the light has been off for 5 mins, or coming from a high mode. Now that's really annoying, and I have to remember to cover this one on first activation or I'll be seeing spots.

Thanks for this info. I almost bought an S2 from Going Gear's clearout sale, but now I'm glad I didn't. Do you own any 123 tactical with the new branding?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for this info. I almost bought an S2 from Going Gear's clearout sale, but now I'm glad I didn't. Do you own any 123 tactical with the new branding?

No problem....although my S2 doesn't pre-flash... It was just the one R5 Turbo I mentioned. However, the S2 was the greenest Quark ever, so you probably made the right call.

Don't have any new logo Quarks yet, and I pretty much stick to the AA size and use 14500s or 3V lithium CRAAs/14505s primaries if I want (R)CR123 performance. All of my other gadgets are standardized on AA Eneloops so I prefer the cannibalization /store-bought options.

Speaking of the GG garage sale, I managed to find my now all time favorite light, the QP2A-X in NW... Been searching for this baby for a few months.. Think I'm done buying lights for a while now - I've tried everything I'm interested in.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "word on the street" is that the regular quarks don't pre-flash, but the tactical ones do(but a few apparently don't, for whatever reason).

It's only if you turn it off when it's on High, and then you try to turn it back on in Low, and then it flashes bright for a couple milliseconds before getting Low.
It's been known for years.
Not a great behavior, but everybody on CPF should be aware of that by now.

Latest posts