Preon 2 Review, and new review blog introduction

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
I am beginning a review blog because I realized that:

1. I do a lot of research before I buy something, and
2. I'm usually very happy with what I buy, and
3. People keep asking me where I get my stuff

So I'm trying to make it easy on my friends by putting all of my highest-researched acquisitions together in one area.

I'm trying to keep reviews to under a minute, and I try to stay away from technical jargon as much as possible (PWM is not something I want to explain fifty times.) I am considering adding in more technical explanations to the blog as time goes by. Education pieces, if you will.

One of my first reviews is on the Preon 2, by our friend 4Sevens. I've posted it at http://reviewminute.blogspot.com/2012/04/4sevens-preon-2.html, and the youtube review is linked in the blog.

I am planning on doing the EagleTac P20C2 (MkII) next, but wanted to see if anyone had some constructive feedback for the blog. Again, my purpose for the blog is to make it easy for the uninitiated to find quality stuff with minimal research.

If you have any advice for my next review, please let me know, and I'll try to keep it in mind for the future.

Thanks!

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that was a great review.

Btw, the video size on your site is small and I was not able to use the fullscreen option.

Could you put a larger resolution, maybe 360p or 480p as default and have option to go fullscreen.

Thanks and I look forward to more reviews.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
Ooh.. exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for :)

I upped the video size a little, but it appears that fullscreen will not be an option for an embedded video for a while :-(

If you go to youtube you can see the video in 720p.

Thanks for the tip...

If any other bloggers are wondering how to change the video size of an embedded video, change the HTML code of the video link, there are two seperate height and width entries that each need to be changed to a more appropriate size.

Thanks again

Now that was a great review.

Btw, the video size on your site is small and I was not able to use the fullscreen option.

Could you put a larger resolution, maybe 360p or 480p as default and have option to go fullscreen.

Thanks and I look forward to more reviews.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
My intention was just to do RC stuff on the blog... but I'm finding I have more flashlights than remote control toys, and I am a little prouder of the research I put into the lights...

N_N_R

Enlightened
Ok, there seem to be lots of topics on the Preon, didn't know which one to choose.

So today I got my Preon 2 finally, it was a long travel from HK :)

I'm pleasantly surprised as the dealer actually sent me the Gen 2 version, although his eBay listing advertised the previous one.

The specs on the box, though, still show the old specs, so... is the high on Gen 2 160 or 180 lumens?

So far I really adore the light. I've seen lots of negative reviews on this light, I hope mine will be positive after some time.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
^yeah me too, post it here, or at least a summary or pic etc. in the thread is my advice.

If you have any advice for my next review, please let me know, and I'll try to keep it in mind for the future.

Thanks!

N_N_R

Enlightened
I've seen lots of people on YT complain about:

-the clicky switch being way too easily activated
- the clip bending and being weak
- some even have flickering issues / dimming issues

I'm now so pleased iwth it that I'm afraid to use it not to get some of the above as a result, lol.

Here are a few videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onROHeB4mhc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fbge0k3rO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd1cJntdfpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwvmRmBZasY

And basically, lots of other reviewers who are generally positive about the light overall, have two major complaints - switch & clip.

EDIT: There's two more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C2BOAQtzq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKgelwOGZ2E - there was one more vid by this guy, but I can't find it.

Last edited:

N_N_R

Enlightened
Alright, so, last night I noticed a miiiinor flicker in the Preon... on med & high modes. I had the very same issue with the Olight O'Pen penlight. I'd sent it in back then, the guy said he'd clean it, he did and said everything had to be okay. Well, it wasn't okay, the O'Pen never really got rid of its flicker. I guess, since the two companies have "a lot in common", that those new penlights just come with this "issue". The O'Pen flickered most with Eneloops, which is weird. Now I have Eneloops in the Preon, too. I'll clean the threads today and see if it gets rid of the flicker. I'll try different batteries too. I still love this flashlight, just the flicker gives me a feeling of unreliability... though perhaps it won't break/stop working.

Etsu

Enlightened
Alright, so, last night I noticed a miiiinor flicker in the Preon... on med & high modes. I had the very same issue with the Olight O'Pen penlight. I'd sent it in back then, the guy said he'd clean it, he did and said everything had to be okay. Well, it wasn't okay, the O'Pen never really got rid of its flicker. I guess, since the two companies have "a lot in common", that those new penlights just come with this "issue". The O'Pen flickered most with Eneloops, which is weird. Now I have Eneloops in the Preon, too. I'll clean the threads today and see if it gets rid of the flicker. I'll try different batteries too. I still love this flashlight, just the flicker gives me a feeling of unreliability... though perhaps it won't break/stop working.

It might be a voltage issue with the buck/boost driver. If the voltage is right around a specific level, the driver may not know whether to boost the voltage or drop it. So, it may be flickering while the driver is confused. Perhaps that's why you notice the problem with Eneloops: they have a slightly higher load voltage than most other NiMH's, and lower than alkalines.

See if the problem goes away after some use, when the voltage of your batteries begins to drop a bit from the "confused" level.

If you see the flickering at all voltage levels, then ignore my theory.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Thanks :) After I cleaned it, I haven't noticed flickering again. I'm not sure though if your theory isn't right, too- perhaps the battery's voltage is already lower, who knows. Or maybe it just needed cleaning.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Ok, first fail of my Preon: click. nothing. click again. nothing again. third click, shines. Then all modes worked well. Did the same in about five minutes... first two clicks didn't power the light, the third did. Grrr. I hope that's something accidental.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Ok, first fail of my Preon: click. nothing. click again. nothing again. third click, shines. Then all modes worked well. Did the same in about five minutes... first two clicks didn't power the light, the third did. Grrr. I hope that's something accidental.

FourSevens has a 10 year warranty and a good reputation for customer service. Send the light back to them and let them figure it out.

N_N_R

Enlightened
I again cleaned the light yesterday and since then it hasn't malfunctioned (yet). I did contact FourSevens today, though. Just so, to let them know about the problem in case it persists in the future (I'm afraid it might after all the comments I read and watched online). I absolutely love this flashlight and WANT to have it and not return it... So I wrote to them only to draw their attention in case of further crap. I really hope that the light won't fail me again, though.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Ok, the guys answered my e-mail on the very same day, which was way faster than I expected. Said I might've overtightened that ring on the clicky switch. I try not to tight it a lot... the light hasn't had problems since then, I don't know if it's because of the ring or because I cleaned it again. Still, they were very quick to respond, can't deny that.

And the Preon survived its first fall out of my pocket on the tiles yesterday and it's still okay, lol. Poor guy. love it.