Preon II

M

MK9

Newly Enlightened
Last night I received my Preon II from 4-7s. I got this light for a work light. For 15 years I've used a ML AAA2. And it was working very well until I found this web site and bought a couple LED lights. Thanks a lot guys!!

I got the "green" version. Not to be enviromentally sensitive but because that was how it's offered. Because of the "green" designation I expected it to be wrapped up in a brown paper bag with pictures of pretty flowers and old growth Redwood trees. I think they didn't get the memo about plastic and how it will remain intact through this global warming cycle and into the next ice age. It came in a thick zip lock sandwich bag.

The first thing I noticed was how sleek it look. It's almost too nice for the shop where it will certainly be scratched up before the week is through.
A nice strong pocket clip. I'm sure it would stay hooked if I could do cartwheels.

Unscrew and remove the head to insert the batteries. Positive side up.

Between the tail cap and the clicky switch is a very thin sheet of aluminum cone. I think it has only one real purpose. That's to see the 47 stamped on the back of the light. I'm sure they could have easily made a one piece pertruding clicky, similarly to tail cap of the Quark tactical lights.
It seems the tailcap is simply to access the "clicky" switch and the transfer cone. They did a poor job on the transfer cone for the clicky. They could have designed it so it had a quality feel to it. Instead it's loose and seems kinda of "tinny", like cheap pot metal. All they had to do was to secure a small rubber insert on its underside and it would feel as good if not better than my Quark AA2 and still have the "47" displayed.

It came with two individually wrapped duracell batteries. After I inserted them I got to play with my new toy...uh...shop tool. :whistle:

The one and only annoyance is the rear clicky transfer cone and the sharp edges inside the tail cap. The transfer cone has unacceptable amount of play before it hits the clicky. My guess is close to 1\16" (1.6mm). And the sharp edge scrapes against the cone and makes an annoying scratching noise. I guess I figure for close to $50 for a flashlight they could have done better.:scowl: I placed a small piece of foam between the cone and clicky and that took out the slack but the scraping of the cone and the sharp edge of the tail cap very annoying. Upon further inspection I may be able to round the edges a little. It will remove the HA but if it gets rid of the scraping then it's worth it.

Now the light, this is where it really shines.
It has, what I would consider, the perfect floody hotspot. Very broad. Not perfectly even but in practical use it is not noticeable. If I knew about this before I would not have ordered a Dereelight Javelin. This little AAA light emits a very impressive amount of light. Much better than the iTP A3. I turned the lights off in the shop and walked around with it. Very nice and the warm tint makes it very comfortable on the eyes. I took it outside and got to view it's flood on the street while walking. This is the type of light I was looking for early for my morning walks in the dark. Great flood and great throw!!
All in a AAA light. Not bad at all!!

I got the "warm" because cool lights reflect way too much off the metal surfaces I work with and create a blinding glare. And this little bad boy does not dissapoint. I checked out the back, inside of my machine. Then the pan where the chips accumulate. It's a little too yellow but for today's current technology I can not complain.

Overall, I think 4 7s got the light portion right. Even though I am still considering the Lumapower Avenger for my car visor light, the Preon makes my decision for my keychain light simple.
Preon, Preon, Preon.

A call to them this morning told me all their lights now have this emitter.
Between the 4 7s informative web site and the quality of their lights they have a winning combination. :thumbsup:

LEDninja

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Review.
-
Because of the "green" designation I expected it to be wrapped up in a brown paper bag with pictures of pretty flowers and old growth Redwood trees.
:crackup::crackup::crackup:

-

A call to them this morning told me all their lights now have this emitter.
Between the 4 7s informative web site and the quality of their lights they have a winning combination. :thumbsup:
Huh?
I am still seeing WARM WHITE Preon 2 and Neutral-white Preon 2 both showing stock.
Cool white Preon 2, S2 Edition in Stealth Black, Blue, Red, Yellow, Titanium and Titanium/Black are on pre-order expected to ship 11/10.

-

You can buy the 1AAA body separately and make a clicky Preon 1.

-

Preon top, Quark MiNi AA2, Minimag AAA.
Quark-MiNi-AA2-size.jpg

Mag 2C incan left, Preon 2 WARMS high right.
Tint-Mag-Preon-Hi.jpg

Last edited:
M

MK9

Newly Enlightened
-
Huh?
I am still seeing WARM WHITE Preon 2 and Neutral-white Preon 2 both showing stock.
Cool white Preon 2, S2 Edition in Stealth Black, Blue, Red, Yellow, Titanium and Titanium/Black are on pre-order expected to ship 11/10.

I meant the floody type of emitter. I do not know if I misphrased that.
I'm still learning my way around the terms and all the other nuances of this topic.

B0wz3r

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still learning my way around the terms and all the other nuances of this topic.

MK, you might want to get a Mini AA2 instead for shop work... It is a tad brighter than the Preon 2 and will give you better run time. Since it's knurled it shouldn't scratch as easily and give you better grip while working.

It's also another excuse, er, I mean reason... to buy another light. :D

LEDninja

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
MK, you might want to get a Mini AA2 instead for shop work... It is a tad brighter than the Preon 2 and will give you better run time. Since it's knurled it shouldn't scratch as easily and give you better grip while working.
I got the "warm" because cool lights reflect way too much off the metal surfaces I work with and create a blinding glare. And this little bad boy does not dissapoint. I checked out the back, inside of my machine. Then the pan where the chips accumulate.
The MiNi AA2 is only available in cool white at this time. The warm MiNi head is supposed to fit but mine does not. YMMV.

-

It's a little too yellow but for today's current technology I can not complain.
Maybe the neutral version might be better. Or not.

-

I guess the large number of models of the Preon sort of sidetracked me.

M

MK9

Newly Enlightened
MK, you might want to get a Mini AA2 instead for shop work...

The reason for a different light is the rear clicky. Sometimes I need a spare hand while using a light. And sometimes a headlamp would be necessary.
Which, by the way is a ZL501, is on it's way. :whistle: