Preon P1 MKIII

SNES

Newly Enlightened
My multimeter read .9 on an eneloop pro 1.2v 900mAh, after the light died.

Newguy2012

Enlightened
After the light quits, has anyone been able to recharge the light on a charger that shows how many mah the battery is taking in?

I'm asking because I suspect the cell may not be depleted when the light quits...

Just an idea.
The ReCyko charge back 839mAh from 911mAh. I didn't run the light til the battery died.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
My multimeter read .9 on an eneloop pro 1.2v 900mAh, after the light died.
Good to check voltage, but does not tell the amount left in the cell like a Lion. For accurate readings a calibrated shunt type meter, like a Zion tester is needed. The VC4 is a multi charger. Recyko, not dead read 1.2V in the charger sl2 and the second read 1.4V in sl3. sl2 read full and only took 90mAh, sl3 read full and took 180mAh. I took the cells and placed them into the ReCyko charger and if they were full the charger shuts off with a few minutes. After the VC4 they still charged for 90 minutes. I'll kill some more cells, all my others are charging in the ReCyko USB charger. It's connected to a 2.4A supply. I'll verify thier depleted charge state by powering up a mini mag incandescent. I'll take a multi-meter reading for those interested and then pop them into the VC4 and see how much they take.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tested mine on medium with the included NiMH cell and got 1 hour 47 minutes before it started flashing. So disappointing.

Newguy2012

Enlightened
4 hours 30 minutes on medium, and the copper Beta is still going! Never got above room temp either. Same Eneloop Pro as tested with the Preon.

*EDIT
Copper Beta died at 4 hours, 45 minutes on medium. Never flickered, just slowly dimmed.

My EN beta 219a V2 which uses constant current ran on Med for 7H 25min before it dimmed. The battery used was a Eneloop pro with a 920mAh capacity.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
These lights are Pre-Production, a test run. All the data presented were calculated values based upon engineered values. The discounted lights were made with a new untested driver design in good faith, to test. It is unclear what is causing the inefficiencies, but was not an expected or intentional result.

Just typing "out loud" here, but if I'm being honest, I wouldn't have purchased this light had I known it was simply a "test" unit to check out engineering values. I do not recall reading anywhere that this light was being sold as such. Additionally, I was under the impression (read: my assumption) that these "discounted lights" were "discounted" simply as a "first in" type of benefit; there was nowhere that I read where it was stated that this light was intended as a runtime feedback tool for the maker. I purchased the light based based upon its published specs.

Perhaps I missed all of this info somewhere where it stated the sale of this light and the later to be gathered info was going to be used for "engineering verifications." If I did, shame on me for I would have rather given some other "tester" an opportunity.

Count me among the disappointed in the less than 2 hour medium runtime when I was expecting 10 hours with the included battery...

Last edited:

elzilcho

Enlightened
These lights are Pre-Production, a test run. All the data presented were calculated values based upon engineered values. The discounted lights were made with a new untested driver design in good faith, to test. It is unclear what is causing the inefficiencies, but was not an expected or intentional result. The problem seems to be consistent among all the first 500 samples and this test version's build. For all we know this very well could be the result another Factory glitch or error like the tailcaps getting adhered shut.

That doesn't entirely square with this:

Run time of other modes are calculated based on measured run time on high.

Was a runtime test done on high or not? When the light was initially released the runtime on high was shown at 2 hours, today the website's product page shows it at 1 hour. Given the real-world runtimes posted in this thread, it's unclear if high could actually be sustained for 1 full hour, let alone 2.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody received a reply yet? (Beside the auto response)

I took the discount as a celebration of new management and that CPF members would be the first to have their reramped products.

Edit- sent follow up email + PM'ed Got lumens.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent Prometheus Lights an email regarding the performance of my light and asked if there was any chance of repair or refund and was told to send it back for a refund.

I liked the idea of the light, but it just didn't perform as expected. The burst mode seemed on par in brightness with my Lumintop Worm and Tool, both with a 219B and as stated, the runtime on medium is mediocre.

The threads on my polished nickel were pretty rough on 1 side and while it's nice not having a rough/textured surface under the clip shredding pockets, on thinner fabrics like my 5.11 Taclite Pro pants and shorts, the light came out of my pocket way too easily. Also it was harder to grip in a traditional fashion.

The UI is pretty cool, especially the double press to burst feature and I didn't mind the hybrid memory as much as I thought I would. I personally would like to see configuration modes for just low and just medium, maybe replacing the configurations with the flashy modes.

Maybe once all of the bugs are fixed I'll rebuy one of these down the road.

SNES

Newly Enlightened
This light has a lot going for it, but I would not have bought it knowing these runtimes. I'll probably send mine back as well. bummer

thebeans

Newly Enlightened
Dang, I can't stand mode memory. Really great update to the Preon though, I may get one anyway since it can run single mode.

You and me both. If I have a light configured for L M H, then I want it to come on L EVERY time I first turn it on. I HATE mode memory!!

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing going for them are their batteries. Outlasted my new eneloop pro.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent Prometheus Lights an email regarding the performance of my light and asked if there was any chance of repair or refund and was told to send it back for a refund.

I liked the idea of the light, but it just didn't perform as expected. The burst mode seemed on par in brightness with my Lumintop Worm and Tool, both with a 219B and as stated, the runtime on medium is mediocre.

The threads on my polished nickel were pretty rough on 1 side and while it's nice not having a rough/textured surface under the clip shredding pockets, on thinner fabrics like my 5.11 Taclite Pro pants and shorts, the light came out of my pocket way too easily. Also it was harder to grip in a traditional fashion.

The UI is pretty cool, especially the double press to burst feature and I didn't mind the hybrid memory as much as I thought I would. I personally would like to see configuration modes for just low and just medium, maybe replacing the configurations with the flashy modes.

Maybe once all of the bugs are fixed I'll rebuy one of these down the road.
This light has a lot going for it, but I would not have bought it knowing these runtimes. I'll probably send mine back as well. bummer
These prototypes will be honored for a full refund.
As Stated previously:
archer6817j said:
"The primary reason for this pre-production run is to test new finishes in a production environment. If people aren't willing to pay more for PVD, we'll have to go back to anodize. It's likely that 1 or more finish will get dropped on production lights, so this may be your only chance ;)"
They were a test run, not a production run. Unconfirmed suspicion is there was an unexpected, unapproved, unannounced production substitution made to one of the driver components that caused the unexpected inefficiency and ultimate driver failure. This runs test finishes worked out well. The smooth body of these prototypes was made specifically to enhance the visibility, uniformity, and contrast between the trial finishes. And Everyone is right, the listed data should have been better marked to reflect expected/untested/anticipated/engineered specifications. The accuracy of future data will be vetted, checked, and corrected.

One thing going for them are their batteries. Outlasted my new eneloop pro.
I have four here. I haven't gotten to try them out yet, that's good news.

jylong_away

Newly Enlightened
As Stated previously:They were a test run, not a production run. Unconfirmed suspicion is there was an unexpected, unapproved, unannounced production substitution made to one of the driver components that caused the unexpected inefficiency and ultimate driver failure. This runs test finishes worked out well. The smooth body of these prototypes was made specifically to enhance the visibility, uniformity, and contrast between the trial finishes. And Everyone is right, the listed data should have been better marked to reflect expected/untested/anticipated/engineered specifications. The accuracy of future data will be vetted, checked, and corrected.

Do you think there might be possibility of having a replacement driver/led/head internals shipped out once the production run has been finalised? I do indeed enjoy the finish on these. The added complication is that overseas returns for items at this price point tend to be a bit of a zero sum game due to international return postage costs...

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think there might be possibility of having a replacement driver/led/head internals shipped out once the production run has been finalised? I do indeed enjoy the finish on these. The added complication is that overseas returns for items at this price point tend to be a bit of a zero sum game due to international return postage costs...
You can write support and ask that question. I see your point about international shipping. Each inquiry is dealt with on a case by case basis.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

As Stated previously:They were a test run, not a production run. Unconfirmed suspicion is there was an unexpected, unapproved, unannounced production substitution made to one of the driver components that caused the unexpected inefficiency and ultimate driver failure. This runs test finishes worked out well. The smooth body of these prototypes was made specifically to enhance the visibility, uniformity, and contrast between the trial finishes. And Everyone is right, the listed data should have been better marked to reflect expected/untested/anticipated/engineered specifications. The accuracy of future data will be vetted, checked, and corrected.

Here's the thing...I like this light. I love the new finish, I really like the output temp. For the first time on any light I have ever owned, I love the clip and have found it extremely useful for me. And while I am extremely disappointed in the actual proven runtime on medium and high, I'm not looking for a refund.

The quote that that you posted from Archer6817j mentions a "primary" reason, not a host of reasons, why this was a "pre-production" unit. Rather than now trying to after-the-fact imply that everything about this light was up in the air with said quote, a truthful statement about the actual testing of the light - or the actual lack thereof - should just now be made, along with an apology for the posting of unchecked data to those of us that purchased based upon figures we trusted to be true. Trying to now backhandedly blame the manufacturer for a driver error is silly at best. Very clearly, this light was never actually tested for real runtimes and to admit that now would be greatly beneficial for the business.

As stated earlier, I like my light and I don't want to send it back in for a refund. If I do, both customer and business turn out to be losers with this light. Rather, as a good paying and patient customer, how about giving the "early adopters" that didn't know we were being used to provide or justify "engineering values" some type of discount on the actual production light when they actually go up for sale? This would be a win/win for both purchasers like me that like the light but hate the actual runtime and for Prometheus Lights in that they actually would retain a real customer.

Like others have written earlier, I may - or may not - purchase the "production" version ( or any other future FourSevens lights for that matter) of this light. The decisions made with the moving forward of this light will certainly dictate any future purchases or not.

SNES

Newly Enlightened
Here's the thing...I like this light. I love the new finish, I really like the output temp. For the first time on any light I have ever owned, I love the clip and have found it extremely useful for me. And while I am extremely disappointed in the actual proven runtime on medium and high, I'm not looking for a refund.

The quote that that you posted from Archer6817j mentions a "primary" reason, not a host of reasons, why this was a "pre-production" unit. Rather than now trying to after-the-fact imply that everything about this light was up in the air with said quote, a truthful statement about the actual testing of the light - or the actual lack thereof - should just now be made, along with an apology for the posting of unchecked data to those of us that purchased based upon figures we trusted to be true. Trying to now backhandedly blame the manufacturer for a driver error is silly at best. Very clearly, this light was never actually tested for real runtimes and to admit that now would be greatly beneficial for the business.

As stated earlier, I like my light and I don't want to send it back in for a refund. If I do, both customer and business turn out to be losers with this light. Rather, as a good paying and patient customer, how about giving the "early adopters" that didn't know we were being used to provide or justify "engineering values" some type of discount on the actual production light when they actually go up for sale? This would be a win/win for both purchasers like me that like the light but hate the actual runtime and for Prometheus Lights in that they actually would retain a real customer.

Like others have written earlier, I may - or may not - purchase the "production" version ( or any other future FourSevens lights for that matter) of this light. The decisions made with the moving forward of this light will certainly dictate any future purchases or not.

Agreed. Can't imagine putting all of this "info" online without a single real world test, and then selling hundreds of lights.