Princeton Tec Scout Saves the Day

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem: Leak under kitchen sink. Tighten drain connection to garbage disposal. No dice. Still dripping. Use mirror and flashlight to see hairline crack on back of disposal.

Solution: JB Weld.

I crawled around under the sink with my Maglite cleaning the crack. Of course, the crack faces the back of the cabinet, so you can't see it without crawling partway under the sink. I've been using my general purpose 2C Maglite while simultaneously trying to keep myself from puncturing my kidney on the cabinet door. The sink is in the corner, and the door is only about a foot and a half wide. I've got my 5'10" 190lbs crammed in there. I'm having a real problem. I can't hold myself up, hold a light to see what I'm doing, and finish cleaning off the crack. Then it dawns on me... "IDIOT!" (to quote Napolean Dynamite) Run upstairs, grab the little PT Scout, put it on my head, and go to work. I managed to get the back of the garbage disposal cleaned off, got myself back out from under the sink, mix up the JB Weld, cram my entire body even FARTHER under the sink (only from my shins down were sticking out. My wife came into the kitchen and calmy uttered "oh my God".), got the crack all patched up, and got myself out again.

Light and bright little headlamp absolutely proved itself INDISPENSABLE. I'd gotten it for Xmas and thought "Okay, cool toy. But I have all kinds of lights. This won't really be able to do anything they won't." I was wrong. Little thing is now WAY up on my "serious lights for serious work" list.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Sween

Isn't it wonderful to be able to use the proper tool for an application...?

That JB Weld is good stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, you were talking about the headlight. That's cool too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Tom

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cognitivefun said:
What is JB Weld? Sounds interesting...

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a really tough epoxy (I think it is considered an epoxy).
Comes in two parts that you mix.
When cured, it is CRAZY strong.

I have two types: JB Quik, which cures in around 5 minutes, and regular JB Weld (I think that is the name!) which takes a while longer to cure.

The Quik is slightly less strong, but still amazing stuff.

Bob